They may be blocking certain ports, especially during class times, but those ports might be opened when classes are not in session.

The best place to get the correct information is the IT department.

If you don't know where that is, go to the main office and ask. As a student at the university you have the right to inquire of any department that affects your ability to live on campus at the university.