(replying to myself 'cause I dunno who to reply to anymore!)

Quote:
Originally posted by codemaster
But notice how this particular thread has about 30 posts because discussion was generated by it. That means people are interested in it.

tbh, I've done half of the posts ;P
But, in all seriousness...
On this forum there are 3 mirc in linux questions, and they have got 1st place, 4th place and 6th place in the most-read threads - I think that shows that theres continued interest in mirc in linux (even though khaled has stated that there will not be a version)

Quote:
Originally posted by Angua
it is not true that linux is not useable as desktop machine. the last releases of RedHat, SuSe, Mandrake and Xandros prove indeed that it is very useable.

Yes, linux has made some great improvements (KDE 3.1 is pretty darn good) - but linux is still not ready for joe consumer (whether it will be or not is a different question) - try stuff like USB webcams and less than half of them can be used in linux
If you only need to do "normal" stuff, then linux is as usuable as a desktop OS as windows is

Quote:
i hold linux courses here at the university, not for students, but for the scientific and normal employees, and especially among the scientific emplyoees, more and more tell me that after they got into contact with linux as desktop OS

The more intelligent or computer literate have no problems using linux - the main problems are when something "goes wrong" (because its designed for windows) - u could easily be screwed wink
Until more companies make the same stuff for windows and linux such as drivers, support documents and applications *cough*mirc*cough* then the world of linux wont be ready for joe consumer

[even_more_offtopic]
Quote:
TCPA... Palladium...

What will happen with developers? some people are saying that you wont be able to turn this stuff off... what happens when I want to write my own program?
Anyway, IMO the only way this initiative would work is if linux was not an alternative (e.g. it became law that you HAD to have it)
[/even_more_offtopic]

Quote:
Originally posted by Watchdog
The point I was trying to make is that one court in one country cannot make a world-wide ruling for a company just because their head office is in the same country as the relevant court

microsoft-UK, microsoft-germany and microsoft-france all use/sell/profit from the software made by microsoft-US (even though some is written in india)

This what would happen if they were split all came from the statement you made...

Quote:
Originally posted by Watchdog
The worst-case scenario is that they'd split in the US and carry on as per usual elsewhere.

Any split in the US would have drastic effects for all other microsoft-US owned companies since it is the US company which owns the rights for windows and office (and prolly the others too, but I dunno tbh). I have to admit that I dont know all the details of what the UK presence of microsoft does (apart from organising educational licenses etc) but their core business of selling the microsoft-US produced software would be hugely affected