I have discovered that mIRC appears to require that the user run mIRC in either Administrative mode, or Power User mode, which is effectively just as dangerous. Under least user access (LUA) mode, mIRC does not function properly.

The component of mIRC that does not function in LUA mode are the mIRC options. When under LUA mode, no changes to the mIRC options within mIRC are saved to the *.ini files in C:\Program Files\mIRC. The *.ini files are not read-only. I have looked at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data, but do not see any mIRC configuration files present. Therefore, I believe the issue is with the *.ini files at C:\Program Files\mIRC. As all users should run under a LUA account except for hardware and software installation, mIRC needs to be brought into line with proper MS programming guidelines for NT-based computing.

From http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/luawinxp.mspx: "Some programs require administrative privileges to run. Typically, this restriction comes from coding errors or poor implementation of programming and security guidelines."

Last edited by MSTCrow; 21/01/07 02:57 PM.