Well as I said, we continue to disagree on almost just about everything. I stand by everything I said, as I'm sure you stand by everything you said.

As for users being subjected to a 'black hole', given the methedology I proposed in not enabling a feature like this by default - and providing dire warnings to those who do - in such a circumstance it is the users themselves who must subject themselves to this black hole - and not MIRC. In any case, I was hopeful that the extent of this feature could be somehow limited, so that the user wouldn't just be tempted to click on any old file that spun by as they used their MIRC client. I'm not sure how that could be achieved, indeed I'm not sure if any of this can be achieved at all. As I said, it was only intended as a suggestion - not as some people here seem to have classed it, as an act of political subversion.

To be honest though, in my view I see no difference beteen a clickable link in MIRC and a clickable links on the Web. The web, as far as I can see with its billions upon billions of clickable links, represents exactly the same kind of black hole that you appear to think the same feature in MIRC would be. The only difference is that because of search engines like Google, you tend to get a short description of the contents of the link too. Fair enough, what about clickable links with meta data? Lol... I'm sure that idea will be just as popular with you as the last one was.

It's a personal preference I guess. I doubt I'm personally stupid enough to get caught out by clicking some erroneous link. (Maybe it could be listed as an expert feature, like 'only enable this feature if you are certain you know what you are doing and understand the risks' etc...)

Quote:
Am I missing something here or does one's OS of choice govern one's desire to trade files?

It does in my case mate, it at least sure helps to take a lot of that temptation away. No need anymore for overpriced Windows software that most average users could never afford - no need therefore to trade for it either.

As for mentioning politics, as I said I never brought it up, but what I object to is people who try to stifle dissent, wherever it might come from (even if it doesn't come from your shores). American's aren't the only ones in this world (despite recent impressions) who are entitled to an opinion.

You may think free speech is over rated, but for as long as there is life left in my body, it is a principal I am prepared to fight for - should I ever be required to. You are in any case unlikely to be unable to silence it, no matter how distasteful you may find it to be.

Anyway, I don't want to argue about this indefinately - and I do so wish you guys would get out of flame mode for once. If you do maybe we can all try to get along a little better? If not how exactly do you want this to end? Do you think you will 'win' by sounding cleverer than anyone else? If so give it your best shot. It all seems very petty to me.

Q