Well I think that other fella was a bit over the top calling everybody who downloads files from IRC a 'criminal.' I'll have you know I have never downloaded an illegal file from IRC in my life. So I would be grateful if you would leave me out of your criminal drag net if you don't mind. Just as it is perfectly possible to sit on an IRC server where the majority of people are trading files (and it is happening, you can't say I'm blind, you just have to watch the messages from the bots scrolling past) and not trade any files yourself, then it is also equally possible to download legitamate content via IRC. I'm a Linux nut (so not afraid of the command line in general), so it would be nice to be able to download the odd custom ISO or patch for a particular application (a lot of these things happen in real time and as a result of discussions with other chatters) from an IRC server, without having to go to the tedious process of typing out long boring commands every time I need to download something. In any case this is a setting that could easily be disabled by default and only enabled with dire warnings about the potential risks/concequences of enabling it, much as is the care with other settings in MIRC.

However to be honest, I don't really get the difference. What is the difference between enabling people to download files by passing commands directly to MIRC, or enabling them to download the same files via some kind of clickable link? Surely if you enable either of these features you're assisting by default the so called criminals you speak of? Personally I find the language a bit over the top anyway - in terms of criminals, given some of the people I have met in my job (I work for the UK probation service) who are real criminals, file swappers aren't even on the radar.

Anyway I don't want to argue. That's not what I came here to do. If other peeps want that well, do me a favour and go off and vent your frustration on someone else. It was only a simple suggestion. But given the hostility I have encountered, I can honestly say I don't care anymore if it ever get's implimented or not.

Q

PS if someone want's to keep this up as a fight, or extend it into even more of a flame war, then I'm very sorry, I'm not interested. If this suggestion really annoys you so much, then go kick your dog or something, because I don't personally think it's that big a deal. So flame away, for all I care. I have better things to do with my time.