Quote:
I personally think this is a bit too much. I can imagine how slow the screen would update if the video support is being used! If you want video integration, use Netmeeting. That's what that program was designed to be used for. mIRC is a text based IRC client, and that's how I believe it should remain! I could easily live without this ever being implemented into mIRC, and I hope it never is.

I have MediaPlayer playing streaming video, it doesn't update the screen slowly, provided I have a good connection to the streaming server, the updating is near instantaneous. And mIRC is text based? Where do dcc sends fit into that? As has been shown by the sheer number of warez/mp3/movie questions on the forum, it is clear that people aren't using DCC sends primarily to transmit text files. If you feel you can live without this feature then here is what you do... don't use it.
Quote:
I think many mIRC users are forgetting what mIRC is all about. mIRC was never intended as a voice/video client. It is intended as a text based IRC client. I don't understand why that's not good enough.

How do you know this is what mIRC is "all about"? I don't recall seeing your name listed as the author. If text based chatting was all mIRC was about, numerous features in mIRC (/splay, dialogs, dcc send, sockets, picwindows, etc.) would not exist. So it is clear text based chatting is not what mIRC is "all about." I contend mIRC is designed as a chatting application, and we are simply expanding mIRC's definition of chatting from just text to voice and video as well. Oh and if everything given to us was "good enough" I assume you don't use a car right? Because until the car was invented people found horse drawn carriages to be "good enough." Everything is "good enough" until something better comes along. I have yet to ever see anyone, not just on this forum, argue that we should just accept what we have as "good enough" successfully. This is because it is simply a flawed argument.

Quote:

The thing that ticks me off is how when some joker suggests the /splay command should play video files, his/her idea gets shot down. When someone suggests mIRC should have video integration similar to Netmeeting, everyone seems to agree.

Well you've just disagreed with your own argument. Remember how you went on about how mIRC is for "chatting"? How exactly does playing a movie in mIRC relate to chatting more than a video CHAT feature. You say mIRC should be about chatting, then when people say the same thing, you go on to say "well I don't get why people say mIRC should have more chatting features." You can't have it both ways, either you believe mIRC is geared toward chatting and therefore should be developed as such, or it isn't geared towards chatting. It can't be both.