Quote:
* It depends on how it's done, a single /if on mIRC startup is unnoticable, having to check it every line/byte might be noticable...

I doubt it would use an /if on each byte, it would most likely use an /if on each line which wouldn't be too bad.

Quote:
* It will always give trouble, either those darn images show up in all the wrong places, or people who didn't enable smilies get confronted with (L) (U) (@) (so) etc meaning all the weirdest stuff...

I thought about that, that's why I suggested the default smiley set making sense for people with smileys disabled (Scroll up), no stupid stuff like *-p should be a smiley.

Quote:
* I probably wasn't clear enough about the picwin situation. If mIRC has standard support for images in chat, all channel windows will become picwins. It would be too time consuming to support, maintain and update both the normal channel windows and picwins for channels for all releases, so the 'old' one will be dumped. This means that even if you turn those images off, you're still using a picwin. This means using some higher level programming language equivalent of /drawtext for all text, plus the conversion of all displaying in mIRC (/echo).

Just to be pedantic; just about every window on your pc can be drawn on if you create a compatible device context for it, so therefore everything is a picture window.

According to /help text copy and paste (See below) mIRC already uses a "Graphical window" for channel windows, etc, if this is true, it most likely uses TextOut() to print text already.

Quote:
The explanation
The use of color in mIRC means that a simple text box cannot be used since text boxes can display only plain text (and they also have other limitations).However, text boxes also have built in cut/copy/paste routines which unfortunately are unavailable to a graphic window. This means that I had to code the mark/copy routine myself. I'm not sure which ran out first, my patience or my programming ability :-)

New username: hixxy