I agree, especially if it has:

1) The option to enable/disable it.
2) It is only seen as a smily on those clients which have it enabled. Meaning if you don't have smiley's enabled, you see their regular textual representation.

To be honest, I don't care about smileys, I rarely chat, but I don't understand why someone would mind someone else seeing smilies on their screen, if it doesn't affect them.

Like MSN, there you can disable it, well if you disable it, then the other person keeps seeing smileys and you don't, so what's the problem?

mIRC won't go slower if you have it disabled, so that argument is off the table...
Increased file size? I have a very small HD compared to today's standards (40 gb) but I think I have some room left for an mIRC .exe of 3 mb, if it would ever become so big.

It is so ironic:

Computers get faster and faster every year, yet people want to use less and less resources.
Hard drives' capacity gets bigger and bigger every year, yet people are worrying about an .exe of a few mb.

Yes yes, I'm aware not everybody has the newest computer, but even then, 5 years ago my HD was 10 gb, do you think I would have worried about a 3 mb exe file?

Hehe, I know this is an old thread, but hey, what the heck.

Greets

Gone.