Quote:

Increased file size? I have a very small HD compared to today's standards (40 gb) but I think I have some room left for an mIRC .exe of 3 mb, if it would ever become so big.

It is so ironic:

Computers get faster and faster every year, yet people want to use less and less resources.
Hard drives' capacity gets bigger and bigger every year, yet people are worrying about an .exe of a few mb.

Yes yes, I'm aware not everybody has the newest computer, but even then, 5 years ago my HD was 10 gb, do you think I would have worried about a 3 mb exe file?

Oh, the Joys of youth! My previous computer to this one was a whopping 2Gb. My computer before then had a massive 80Mb drive. I always did like to overestimate what I needed.

Or are you one of these people who goes to buffets/smorgasbords and just piles your plate up even though you are not going to eat it all?

The point is: bloat is bloat. Why puff something up with code that is outside the original concept - a <text> IRC client?

Points agains smiley support:
- to be properly implemented, "special strings" will have to be sent across IRC. If anything addition than >:-{ is needed, then regular users will soon get very annoyed!
- mIRC should continue to look different than IM clients, otherwise it might be confused as an IM client as well as a file trading client.
- The extra code is bound to be the subject of numerous "bug" complaints. That is if it doesn't break something in the process.
- IRC [l]users will start sending smileys all the time just to get graphical pleasure. So much for "Chat".
- Not only will the graphical support be needed in the chat window (that is, mixing graphics with text) but who is going to design the smiley's?
- Will this require multi-text support?

- Finally, if such visually stimuli is needed, then perhaps you can code it. The loading of these scripts is then optional! This solves the best of both worlds - the regular users don't get the bloat and you (and anyone else who wants it) get the smileys!

Of course, what Khaled wants to do with his program is up to him.

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!