Quote:
It is probably fair to say in Riamus2's defense because he is taking quite a beating here, that learning mIRC scripting will make things easier when learning another language.

There are basic concepts across all programming languages such as loops and validation that if learned in mIRC might make things a little easier when moving over.

Note that I'm saying it helps with the concepts in programming, not the syntaxes or methods that can vary across the many languages out there.

Exactly. I originally learned programming in Apple BASIC. I progressed through BASIC, GW-BASIC, Pascal, Orca/C, C++, ASM (minimally), and eventually picked up mIRC scripting. I know the differences between them. I also know the similarities between them. And, I maintain that if you can learn one language (even if it's just a scripting language), you can learn any other language. All languages I've seen have a lot to do with math and logic. If someone has the ability to deal with those things, they can learn any language. If they aren't good at those two things, then they probably can still learn, but it will be considerably more difficult. Note that there are other things involved, but those 2 are pretty core to any programming language. There may be some scripting languages that aren't mathematical/logical, but I doubt very many are that way.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net