Quote:
- Well my need is to chat, not draw ASCII pictures, therefore my needs are already fulfilled.

- ASCII pictures aren't the only thing extra colours would be good for, they would also be useful in making themes.

Quote:
How do more colours help chatting?

- It's like a newspaper, I find tabloids much more interesting because they aren't as dull and plain as broadsheet newspapers, more colours would make mIRC a lot more interesting to look at because it's not as plain and dull.

Quote:
That's the most ridicuous thing I've ever heard. If I make a client and make a control code that makes my client play the Village People - YMCA should mIRC and every other client support the same for compatability?

- If they don't mind seeing your control codes in the text, then no, otherwise, yes.

Quote:
I've already pointed out a way that things could change and retain compatability, use the existing system's remaining 83 colours, it'd even have turquoise just for you.

- 99 is plenty of colours, but it's still no way near as good as full rgb support, you still can't know whether the colours you're seeing are the ones the person sending the message is seeing.

Quote:
And notice that compatability isn't the only thing wrong with it, I keep listing several serious problems with 24-bit colour support.

- Like I said, allow people to choose between the two colour systems, and if somebody decides to use the old system then it shouldn't be too hard to strip the new colours, he could even change them into normal colours:

New colour system user sees: ^k16777215hi
Old colour system user sees: ^k1hi

Or even strip them completely.

Anyway, I don't care whether you can send and receive full colours across IRC, i'd settle for full support on your side only, eg, being able to /echo any rgb colour you like without having to change an existing colour using /colour.

New username: hixxy