Quote:
the spamfilter on that ircd is server side and is not in control of the users at all, and I beleive in networks taking a role in blocking spam. Now instead of someone getting a infecticous link to a fake webcam, the drone gets a gline and the user never even knows a dron had targeted him.

The problem there is it lulls the client into a false sense of security. This kind of thing should be the clients responsibilty. IRC should be an unrestricted open meeting place in that way, Anybody can send you any kind of message.

What if I want to send a user a link legitmetly, there would be some way round this filter to allow me to do that, Otherwise my freedom is impeded, So the server side measure is reduced in usefulness and could only at best compliment a good client side system, And therefore probably is not worth any serious discussion.

Somehow this is different to Email or SMS spam where you would like a server-side filter perhaps, But i can't quite put my finger on why it's different, I just feel that IRC should be a less restrictive meeting place, A bit like walking around in public where you are exposed, Anybody can say anything to you. I think that is part of the appeal of IRC, and this kind of filtering is easily handled by a client.

Last edited by Biggles; 04/05/05 03:35 PM.