Quote:
As far as a "board" or a "committee" .... that's not going to work for IRC. It would be better to have anyone working on improving IRC or developing it to have a single (or a few) sites/forums/etc where they can get together and work on stuff. Then ALL people who are developing it can work together without some small group saying what is and what isn't.

You should not ignore the fact that such boards and committees already exist and are successful on a small scale. Undernet has coder-com, for example, responsible for Undernet software improvement. A board or committee is not something appointed by any government or corporation, it's exactly the people interested in development as you described them, with a website, etc. The problem is that right now there's no organized or self-organized structure responsible for IRC improvement. There's none responsible, so there's no improvement.

Quote:
And, for mIRC-centered... IRC was out before mIRC and will probably be out after mIRC is gone. mIRC uses whatever IRC has. If IRC needs improved, then improve it. If mIRC can't use the new changes right away, so be it. mIRC *can't* implement a new IRC feature if it's not implemented already. Yet it will still function if it's implemented in IRC and not yet included in mIRC. So, you have to start there and let mIRC catch up later.

In any distributed system the client-server protocol, server-side and client-side sofware are logically integrated. One cannot jump ahead without the others, like you cannot jump over your head. Nobody is interested in improving something that is not going to be used. Right now >90% of all IRC clients are running mIRC, and any IRC improvement must be supported by mIRC or it's basically not used. And mIRC will not support anything that's not implemented in major (or majority) of IRC networks. As a result, there's no general direction. IRC in some of its aspects is the same protocol invented one day for use with telnet sessions.

Quote:
Regex for bans is useful. I don't think I saw anyone say it's a bad idea for bans. Maybe I missed that.

Now you may be asking yourself a simple question "are there any people responsible for approving/rejecting my idea for IRC in general?". The answer is obvious, and it is: "no, there are none".