This is just an overall reply not aimed to a single person at all........

Forgetting about being able to turn it off etc... there's a reason most people dont give out information about themselves; they dont want to. Personally, I dont like the idea of an auto-asl-responder of any kind in mirc cause it's really not mirc's place to answer that. If you want to know, ask. If you dont believe the reply, that's your option to excersize at will. To me, I personally dont care what sex a person is when Im talking to them so long as we're all having fun which of course is the point to IRC in the first place; having fun and chatting with people.

Weather or not it's been mentioned I'll mention it anyway. AOL/MSN & the like have had problems in the past with internet stalkers looking up people's bios etc to find potential targets. Im NOT comparing mirc to AOL/MSN/ISP of choice, just stating a fact. With this kind of thing going on (I know, you cant stop it short of never going online), why give people another way to find out. Also, suppose they lie? Suppose everybody does? Then people (in general) will assume the opposite of what the "mirc a/s/l" says. My personal opinion is leave this option out of mirc. Besides, the whole a/s/l thing (while valid questions in specific circumstances) is really old. Most channels these days are totally public and not sex/age based (though there are a good amount of those left too). I can remember not long ago when you'd see something similar to:

* joins somenick
<somenick> a/s/l everybody
****all kinds of replies true, false & sarcastic***
*replies of "dont join & ask for a/s/l like a lameass"*
<somenick> f*** you all
* somenick has been kicked from #somechannel (dont be a lameass)

**in private to all people (sometimes excluding ops)**
(to nick1) <somenick> a/s/l
(to nick2) <somenick> a/s/l
(to nick3) <somenick> a/s/l
(to nick4) <somenick> a/s/l
(to nick5) <somenick> a/s/l
(to nick6) <somenick> a/s/l
(to nick7) <somenick> a/s/l

Im personally glad to see netiqueete has improved over those days (not too far ago)

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it