I remember back to when my network banned all versions of mIRC prior to V6.0 as a way of weeding out the more vulnerable versions, regardless of what the issue with a particular version actually was. Even today I think it was a good idea. It is evasion to change a version reply when knowing that it is specifically to fool a security bot but at the end of the day those guilty of this are fooling themselves alot more.

As a general reply to all comments: Whilst it is against the licence agreement to alter mirc.exe in any way, this does not necessarily make it illegal. Authors of software do exactly that - make software and in some cases a licence agreement or some other form of contract. However only governments make laws and not all countries forbid end users from altering software that is intended for personal use. Infact I don't know of any specific law that relates to this and therefore make the licence agreement enforceable, rather an offence would only be committed if the altered software was distributed. The wishes of the author in many cases is therefore binding on the conscience of the end user. My view, for a number of reasons, is that the version reply should be left intact though through experimentation I am aware of how to remove it.

At the end of the day it comes down to the end user knowing what their rights are versus the end user respecting the wishes of the authors.