You obviously wouldn't check for $version but $dcx(version). The main benefit would not be saving a DLL download as most dialogs still include other external resources such as icons, that's why i kept hammering on the fact not having to download the dll is irrelevant. But to make grounds in dialog support without too much effort.

I totally agree with argv0's point:
Quote:

IMHO, using DCX to do dialogs is a way better idea than wasting Khaled's time reinventing the wheel or even supporting a reinvented wheel for "builtin support"'s sake. I'd actually much rather see mIRC just drop native dialogs and tell people to just get DCX. That way he can actually spend his time on features that matter to *IRC* users: the long overdue unicode support, per-network user configurations, etc.

The thought occurred to me though, why tell people to get it if your going to drop dialog support when you could already be supplying it ?

-Funnily enough having to included dcx.dll in the download is a big set back for ALOT of scripters, i've heard this numerous times (myself excluded).
-And for the general public loading dcx could be too advanced. There's a number of scripts out there that simply state get DCX.

The same could be said for SSL mIRC supports it so why not include it by default it as an option in the installer? (im not sure of the legality of this). The big difference with SSL however its an install-once kinda deal. DCX could be downloaded and 'installed' again and again and again.

Frankly i wasn't stating it should be included rather that it could without most of the cons argv0 mentioned in his first reply.

In the end the low percentage of people utilizing it simply wins over comfort, even for me, not the fact it would induce more work for khaled (which is neither true nor false) or that it could be buggy (which can't be false).

The better more elegant solution would be the standardize plugins much like FireFox and Eclipse have done. This would make installing and updating addons (and their dependencies) ALOT easier for the end user which will improve mIRC's popularity. More often then not the people who cant manage to install a mIRC script are just the people who want the MP3 player for mIRC by <someone>.

$maybe