To DaveC:
Quote:
Your calculator has flat batteries maybe
Im getting 4 on both my casios (fx602p, fx82super)

If your Casio calculator is capable of multi-termed equasions, then you should have gotten -4.

To Everyone Else:

According to my TI-85:
According to Javascript:
  • <a href="javascript:alert(-2^2);" target="_blank">javascript:alert(-2^2);</a> <- click
According to MATLAB 6.5:
  • >> -2^2

ans =

According to Python 2.3.4:
  • >>> -2^2
According to "Beginning & Intermediate Algebra (3rd Ed)" by K. Martin-Gay (ISBN 0-13-144442-5)
  • 1.4 Calculator Explorations, Order of Operations (p.30):
    Some calculators follow the order of operations, and others do not. To see whether or not your calculator has the order of operations built in, use your calculator to find 2 + 3 · 4. To do this, press the following sequence of keys: [2] [+] [3] [x] [4] [=] (or [enter]). The correct answer will be 14 because the order of operations is to multiply before we add.

I'm guessing your Casio does not support order of operations.

5.1 Exponents (p.288):
    As we reviewed in Section 1.4, an exponent is a shorthand notation for repeated factors. For example, 2 · 2 · 2 · 2 · 2 can be written as 2^5. The expression 2^5 is called an exponential expression. It is also called the fifth power of 2, or we say that 2 is raised to the fifth power. The base of an exponential expression is the repeated factor. The exponent is the number of times that the base is used as a factor.

Example:
    c. (-4)² = (-4) (-4) = 16
    d. -4² = -(4 · 4) = -16

Notice how similar -4² is to (-4)² in the example above. The difference between the two is the parentheses. In (-4)², the parentheses tell us that the base, or repeated factor, is -4. In -4², only 4 is the base.

Helpful Hint:
    Be careful when identifying the base of an exponential expression.
    Pay close attention to the use of parentheses.

In (-3)² the base is -3. (-3)² = (-3) (-3) = 9
    In -3² the base is 3. -3² = -(3 · 3) = -9
    In 2 · 3² the base is 3. 2 · 3² = 2 · 3 · 3 = 18
I hope this helps clear any confusion. smile

- Raccoon

Last edited by Raccoon; 27/02/05 12:02 AM.