While i can certainly acknowledge the skills involved, respect is NOT a word i would use with regard to anyone who would put those skills to use in a manner that causes others to pay the price for what they are doing.

IF they succeeded in "bringing DALnet down" what possible respect would those skills warrant? Who exactly are they harming? The users. The servers who volunteer their time and money...and by extension, their users in other areas. Oh yeah, i am just overwhelmed with respect for the knowledge they have worked hard to acquire and then put to such use. I can acknowledge their skills. I cant apply the word respect. I realize you werent commenting on the morality. No one disputes the skills involved...but neither should anyone "respect" them.

Of course IRC would "survive without DALnet". That isnt the point. Consider this, do you really think they would stop there? Or would others who see them as some shining example of skill? There are ppl who are afraid to say anything in an open forum for fear of possible repurcussions from those same ppl. Its the principle of the whole thing...that a few ppl, regardless of age/education/skills would for whatever reason hold thousands of ppl "hostage" in some vendetta or display of their skills. It isnt just DALnet that is effected. It isnt just IRC.

Again, i can acknowledge their skills...but to apply the word respect and, by implication admiration, only encourages them and others of the same mindset. DALnet isnt the first, nor will it be the last to be subjected to attacks like this. To me, its yet another sign that so many ppl have no respect for themselves or others. It doesnt matter what age, what ethnicity, or what skills are used in the process...anyone who intentionally causes harm to others in any way doesnt deserve the word respect applied to anything about them.

Am I taking the attack on DALnet personally? You bet I am. Can I find another network, spend the time to learn about it so i can continue to help ppl? Sure. Should i have to due the actions of other ppl? NO.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet