Fine then. I'll shoot it down instead of offering some useful comments. The idea is bad. It's not worth adding. It is something that should be scripted. Most people are not going to want, need, or use it. It isn't remotely common in any other software with an ignore feature. Changing the standard /ignore method is a bad idea. Personalized protection like this should never be part of mIRC, but should always be scripted as the person needs or wants. Maybe you can't script tree views, but you can accomplish the same thing and that was shown above. I also don't see a benefit of making it possible to script tree views in the channel windows. I do see the benefit of allowing a filter for the window where you can select nicks that you want to see text from as that can be very useful when trying to find something that was said. But tree views? Definitely not.

Now, I think my comment to the OP previously is a lot more useful and less negative. It's something the OP can use to either improve the idea or make the decision not to worry about it. The alternative that I just showed, which is what I think specifically about the feature, is not anywhere as useful. It's what I think about the feature and it gives a very direct view of why the feature is bad (imo obviously), but that's all it does. Maybe instead of trying to protect the op's feelings, you might want to find out if the OP was in any way upset about my original comments and which type of comment he prefers. Personally, I'd much rather the first comment if it were my suggestion.

I never said it was "too hard." I never said Khaled couldn't or wouldn't do it. I never said it would keep him from doing some other feature. I simply pointed out that it would require redoing the message windows and that the feature is of limited use to most people so that by itself, it's unlikely to be worth the effort involved. I then pointed out that there are a number of other features (although I didn't originally list any, they include emoticons and images) which would also require changes to the message windows. By combining them and doing them all at the same time, it then becomes worth the effort because you aren't making major changes for one minor thing, but you are major making changes for a variety of things that would require similar kinds of changes to the code, including the very highly requested emoticons.

So I provided reasoning that though it's not likely by itself, it has a decent chance when combined with other requests.

As to the code... yes, I haven't seen it. However, I do know enough programming to know that these windows were designed with text in mind and were not designed to handle images, tree views, or anything else like that. I also know that trying to change that is not a minor thing to do. It wouldn't require the time that Unicode required, but it would require more than a little time to accomplish. It would also probably require considerable testing because that kind of change is prone to creating bugs.

Now, we're far off topic because of your complaint, so I will stop discussing that in this thread. If you'd like to continue to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of telling people the way it really is, then we can take it to general discussion.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net