argv0 is correct that some of your reports/suggestions really could use more details so they are easier to understand. His two examples are very good examples of what he is talking about. When suggesting a feature, you don't want to just say "this doesn't exist, but should." That doesn't provide anywhere near enough information. Some people may be able to figure out what you mean based on their own experiences, but others may not. In order to make it a useful suggestion, you need to provide details about what you are talking about.

What is the suggestion? What syntax (if applicable) are you suggesting? What is an example input and with that input, what are you expecting as an output? Why do you think it's important to add?

There are other things you could also include depending on what the suggestion is. For your timer one, I'm assuming you mean that you want to be able to do //echo -a $timer(test*,0) and get a count of all timers matching that wildcard matchtext and replace 0 with N to get the timer that for that number. But you don't say that. You don't give an example like the //echo example I just gave. You did give an example of syntax, but that doesn't help if you don't explain what you want the output to be with that syntax. You also don't give any reason why you think it would be worth adding. That part is optional, but a suggestion is more likely to be considered if Khaled thinks the reason you give is a good one than if no reason is given and he doesn't think of any good reason to add it.

Bug reports are similar in that having a clear explanation of the bug, what the input and output are and what you think the output should have been, and any details that may be relevant. Step by step ways to reproduce are great if possible. Pictures are sometimes helpful, but are the least important and should never be used in place of a written explanation. And with this report, your first post doesn't clearly say what you think the problem is. Ok, I understand that the timer appears to not show the text saying that it's completed, but nothing about the timer staying active. You also don't mention anything you did to try and determine what the cause is. Is it the timer? Is it -h? Is it because you used Ctrl-Break? Is it $ticks as your subject seems to suggest? Is it something else? Can you reproduce it only with the short script you included, or can you reproduce it even without the timer or else without -h? Things like that, which you may have already looked into, would be useful information. If you already checked and verified that it's related to something specific and you include that information, then it saves people a lot of time trying to figure that out for themselves.

Whatever you do, never assume someone knows what you are talking about. Explain it in detail. Many times, I have had to ask people to clarify what they are talking about because they assumed I knew what was in their mind. For example, someone could ask me, "Did you fix the problem?" and I may have been dealing with multiple problems and have no idea what one they are talking about. They assume I know because in their mind, they are thinking of the specific problem. But I'm no mind reader and so I need specifics. Or people will bring up something that was discussed an hour or more ago without pointing out that they are talking about that previous discussion. Again, without information, it can leave the listener unsure what you're talking about even though it's perfectly clear to you.

In any case, I think part of the problem with understanding is a minor language barrier. Your English is good and in most cases, it's easily understood, but there are times in your posts where something you say doesn't really make sense. I understand the difficulties in using other languages and there really isn't anything you can do to get better besides continue using the language, but it is something to keep in mind if someone doesn't understand what you're saying. It may just be that you need to try saying it in a different way. Very often, rewording something makes all the difference. Like I said, your English is good with only a few issues that come up; this is just informational to maybe give you an idea into why someone might have difficulty understanding something. And keep in mind that any minor language issue may be minor to someone who understands the language really well, but may be very major issue for someone who doesn't know the language well. And, just to fix a spelling mistake I've seen you make a few times that makes me do a double take and might confuse others... "propriety" should be "property". smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net