Quote:
I'm not going to attempt to have a pointless meta-conversation about how your bug report was inadequate. Perhaps you should just heed my advice and acknowledge that there was enormous confusion in this thread about what you were reporting. The fact that the other two posters in this thread had no idea what you were reporting is a pretty good indicator that something is wrong. Unless you're of the belief that you can't be wrong, and everyone else is an idiot, I think you should be a little less defensive.
Really I'm not on the defensive, I simply don't think there is enormous confusion in my bug report or feature request, it's not always necessary to give all details, it's a good idea but it's not required.
Also you assumed that fact, your assumption are not a pretty good indicator of anything
I can be wrong and everyone else isn't an idiot, that part wasn't relevant, it just looks like a personal attack

Quote:
It's not sufficient to assume that your expectation matches that of the help file
I talked about the help file because nothing in it say that you cannot call an alias with a -h timer, implying only one expectation is possible: the timer call the alias which call the timer again etc.

Quote:
When reporting a bug you need to tell others what result you got, but more importantly, what result you were expecting. I don't see any mention of the actual bug you were reporting, ie., the fact that "the test timer is still in the active timers list", and you made no mention of this in the reproduction steps, nor did you ask anyone to check this;
I did tell what results I get and I just said why I didn't talk about what I was expecting and what is the bug.

Quote:
That might seem fairly obvious
again, yes it is imo and that explains why I didn't give full details
Quote:
but the lack of this information in your reproduction steps as well means that nobody was expecting this information to be relevant-- you're lucky that Dreadnought accidentally caught this. It's not in the bug subject line either. Nobody knew this was related until you had to point it out a few days later. This doesn't seem wrong to you?
It is wrong indeed, the thing is that you are blaming my lack of informations while I'm saying that it's not because people don't get it that my lack of information is the problem, and I still maintain that version, I even wonder what he thought was the bug at first. I also would like to say that you did get it correctly and that since your first reply.
The subject line is supposed to be a general title, I didn't know what to put there to be honnest, because I didn't know (still true) what was the problem, I just reported it and put the words timer and ticks because it's what the code is using.

Quote:
This is not an opinionated assertion. The forums have a search feature, you can look up your past posts for real evidence.
Well, sorry to defend my point when someone is telling me I don't know how to write a proper bug report and that my posts are generally unclear.
I looked at the two links, I still think both are self-explanatory when you know what it is about.
$dialog().ontop would reflect if -o has been used with /dialog
$timer(wildcard*,N1) would return the Nth timer whose name matches the expression.
Now I think I know how to write a proper bug report, but maybe in the future when you don't understand something you could just ask the person to be clearer instead of acting like that

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel