I agree with argv0 that mIRC shouldn't become open source. And I doubt that it ever will because despite how much the current version is showing it's age, he still makes money off of it and the next version (beta) is suppose to be out soon based on Khaled's last posts.

If you're really interested in contributing to open-source, I would turn to HydraIRC and see about improving that great alternative. But in all honesty I think mIRC has very few faults and the next version is going to have a lot of improvements and fixes so there really isn't a lot to worry about. Provide feedback in the forums for what you think needs changing and if it's good, there's a chance it may be implemented in the future. If you have a great idea for IRC, no one's stopping you from pulling together resources and starting your own client. I think just the fact that Kahled does make money off of mIRC is testament to why it has become the most popular and considered the best client that is still developed since it's inception 15 years ago.

Last edited by flowrush; 05/04/10 11:58 PM.