> For some people I want to make clear that I did not intend to
> state that DCC SEND should be eliminated, just that DCC
> XMIT should be added (even if it only allows recieving and
> not sending the command).

Why not just write a script for it if you want it soo badly?

> Yes, XMIT is not specified in the origional RFC. But that
> is very old now

Another poster pointed out that the age of an RFC is irrelevant. Your point is invalid.

> I have yet to see significant a reason not to support it.

Waste of time implementing something for which we already have a satisfactory implementation for. Why reinvent the wheel?

> I'll tell you why... faster and more streamline transmitions
> and complience with cutting edge clients.

Is that speed increase that big? How many minutes a day will it save the average IRC user? Compare that to how many minutes a day it would save the average leecher. I think you'll find this to be far more beneficial to the leecher than your average IRC Joe.

mIRC isn't a file server, kazaa is, ftp servers are, www servers are.

> Stop adding new
> features to the protocal and I guarentee you that in a few
> years mIRC will no longer be the leading IRC client.

What protocol are you referring to? IRC? DCC? I honestly cannot see people changing IRC clients just because the file sending is a little slower. If someone was really determined, they would just make a script.

> Even if I
> am wrong, why risk it?

Because it's a risk worth taking.

I'm sure Khaled has better things to do than make mIRC send pirated files faster. Consider the following scenario:

- Spend time to internationalise mIRC and thus increase the spread of mIRCs userbase substantially from the increased use by non-english speakers. This substantial increase will most likely result in increased registrations, which is food on the plate.

- Spend time to make files send faster so people can get the latest copy of LOTR and Harry Potter before it comes out in their local cinema. No substantial increase in user base, no substantial increase in registrations (hey, they don't pay for the warez, why would they pay for mIRC??)... no extra food on the plate.

The choice seems obvious.

Once again, if people so desperately want a faster way to send files, script the support. If people truely feel that the extra speed is worthwhile, they'll download it. No problem. Meanwhile Khaled gets to program some more interesting features.