Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
Hi

as you can see on this board, the request to add a Buddylist feature with the small tool WASTE is the most read thread here on the board.

MIRC needs an INSTANT MESSENGER function to see the found buddies again online.

Use WASTE and GAIM from sf.net.

Combine both.

Thanks.

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
MIRC needs an INSTANT MESSENGER function to see the found buddies again online.

No it doesn't. IRC and IM are two very different things.

G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
AOL has both: chatrooms and a buddylist.
You can hook people from the chatroom to the buddylist.

Why shouldn´t IRC need this ?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
There's a thread only about 3 down from the WASTE one that has been read more times, so it hasn't been read the most. Not that it really matters, being read a lot doesn't equate to being supported by lots of people. The discussion in that thread was 'heated', most likely the people posting kept viewing the thread to see if there was a reply. The only thing that can indicate whether people think something is a good idea or not is the actual replies to the thread, and pretty much all of them not written by you are of the opinion that it would be a WASTE of time (pun intended). Who cares what proprietary IM protocols/clients have? They're all inferior to the IRC protocol and it's clients in almost every single way.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
why is the IRC chat protocol superior, if it has not the feature of budiling a buddylist ?

The main difference is the decentral chat and friendslist.

IRC has any ugly way to search servers. And it is not *slimey* enough to put freinds on one list.

IRC is "Edgey".

;-)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There are NO standard Instant Messager protocols, because all of them rely upon Central Servers with the goal of Earning Money through Advertisement Sales.

ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc ALL have company servers and proprietary protocols. The open source projects you see that utilize these services are doing so ILLEGALLY by ignoring the services' End User Policies. mIRC, being a corporate entity and not an open-source project, would be liable for millions of dollars of inflated losses by these companies. Khaled is not in the business of getting sued.

mIRC is an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) protocol client, not some Internet Content Provider (ICP) like AOL or MSN or YAHOO. Look up the definition of "la-carte". I hope this makes more sense to you.

Why don't you define an Internet Standard Instant Messager Protocol (IMP) and develop a network of IMP Servers that utilize and provide free access to open standards.

Until then, Stop WASTING our time.
Be glad that IRC is [advertisement] FREE.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
why is the IRC chat protocol superior, if it has not the feature of budiling a buddylist ?

It is superior for that very reason. You are not 'locked' into a one-to-one dialogue with someone who has suddenly pounced on you and demands your undivided attention - unlike IM.

Quote:
The main difference is the decentral chat and friendslist.

Yes. And let's keep it that way.

Quote:
IRC has any ugly way to search servers. And it is not *slimey* enough to put freinds on one list.

Search servers for wot? If you mean channels, the channel list obtained by /list is perfectly fine. I mean, you get all the channels in one location, sorted in alphabetical order complete with topic and the number of users in the channel. Can't think of a better way of doing it myself... smile

Quote:
IRC is "Edgey".

Better than fluffy and cute.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Quote:

as you can see on this board, the request to add a Buddylist feature with the small tool WASTE is the most read thread here on the board.

oh, when did 351 views become more than 8000 odd?
care to look above and you will see "browser switching for mirc" has many more views.

new username: tidy_trax
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
ok, waste as a plugin, gaim as well.
But Waste is as well a protocol and method, this you could use.

So waste integrated and gaim as a plugin.

Or both as a plugin like invision script

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
invizion is (one of?) the lamest script out there..

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
no not one of, THE lamest one out there.

D3m0nnet.com
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
"please add my excellent feature, look: this LAME script uses it laugh!!!!"
[/sarcasm]

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not to get into too much details, but IRC already supports Buddylists, its called Notify Lists--

/help /notify
/help on notify

Btw, yes invision is THE lamest. Scoop Script trails a close second though >:D

-KingTomato
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
Btw, yes invision is THE lamest.

thought so smirk

New username: hixxy
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
i personally believe the top 3 would be

1 invision
2 scoop
3 noname

after that its just so hard to decifer the levels of lameness

D3m0nnet.com
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
noname isn't that lame.
just the /quit spam messages smirk
"trojan script" is also lame. maybe 4th?

New username: hixxy
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Use the notify feature if you want to see when people are online.

Or if you really want an instant messenger, go use trillian. It has IRC, MSN, and Yahoo support.

WASTE+GAIM+MIRC == Disaster.

mIRC has primarily been about IRC. Why should it be bloated with unnecessary crap like IM clients? If you just have to have an IM and IRC client all in one, then like I said, go use trillian.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
I think some comments in this thread an indirectly pointed out a problem. Our impressions of IRC are shaped a lot by the way we interact with it, which has been 99% through a mirc style interface - plain text, an editbox, and a nicklist.

IM clients changed this, but it wasn't IRC anymore. We have alot of the features already built into mirc - the problem is they need to be more eyecandyish.

I suggest that some of you meander over to the developer forum and look at AKO's new IRCd thread - in which its suggested some feasible ways to add functionality to the protocol.

Search back also, and look at some of my thoughts on the mirc address book.

If mirc shot off at a tangent and did a _novel and quirky_ approach to interacting with IRC I think we wouldn't see stuff like this.
Microsoft chat of course tried, and failed, with the comic chat idea. UGH! I am not suggesting we go that way.

Specifically; I think we need a style of browser like 'taskbar', where you can drag and drop nicknames into address books/notify lists.
I think we need to be able to hide and dock windows alot more fluidly.

It wouldn't be harder to implement than redoing the nicklist control, the taskbar control and using 99% of the code for a /uwho.

The current script dialog system, i kinda wouldn't mind seeing it thrown out and redone completely - having most dialogs in mirc parsed with a GUI style engine like PHP-GTK is, or winamp's wasabi - this would let scripts customise interfaces, or simply inherit all of the underlying code, methods and events. Combine this with resource strings and you begin to break away from the out-of-the-box feel mirc always has retained (MTS can't redo internal dialogs, so i'm quietly ignoring it)

This way we could _DO_ buddylists, without having to know much more than some rather advanced scripting. Of course, i'nm reasonable, and I don't think any of these things are likely to happen, due to the lack of time and effort.

The best script(SmartICQ) I ever saw doing this had to use, of all things, picture windows - a lot of power, but slow when you can't draw transparently.

Hell, we all know the track record on GUI changes, and I don't want to have to make a large fuss and wander away from these boards as codemastr unfortunately did.

R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
Dutch people would agree that LEUTESCRIPT is the lamest ever :tongue:

@#botwars @Kreynet
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Anything with ridiculous coloured popups can be included in that list. :tongue:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard