Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
sobel Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
Maybe /part -n to leave the channel window open. Sometimes we don't want to lose the messages in the window when we leave the channel. We can close the window manually later.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Already suggested numerous times.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
* Raccoon adds his name to the petition.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
yes i like this suggestion as well

D3m0nnet.com
P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
Yes, it has been suggested before, and I still don't see why this should be added. If you leave a channel, why would you want the window to remain open? If you want to keep track of a session, that's what logging is for. To me, this feature is a little non standard.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
the same reason when u disconnect u leave windows open? why is this not the exact same thing?

D3m0nnet.com
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Can't mIRC already leave channels open for kicks?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I disagree, the reason I leave windows open when I disconnect is because, perhaps I was on the wrong side of a netsplit. Therefore I want to switch servers and remain in the same conversation. I don't see how that same situation could apply to parting. I could see it apply to /hop, but /hop already does leave the window open.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok granted thats what U use the do not close windows on disconnect for ... but what about every other mirc chatter? its all good and well u dont like it but can u find one logical reason against it other than ud never use it? as im sure there are several things in mirc ull never use. if the only thing uve got to add is no i wouldnt use it then your not really helping anything

D3m0nnet.com
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
ok granted thats what U use the do not close windows on disconnect for ... but what about every other mirc chatter?

Well if people use this feature for other purposes, they are free to post their uses for it here. However, I've yet to see anyone say they use it for something different.

Quote:
its all good and well u dont like it but can u find one logical reason against it other than ud never use it?

Because no one has really provided a reason why it is useful other than "thats a good idea." No one has said why it is a good idea. If it's just going to be a "look, I can part and the window stays open!" feature, then I don't see why it should be added.

Quote:
im sure there are several things in mirc ull never use. if the only thing uve got to add is no i wouldnt use it then your not really helping anything

Well you're right there are things in mIRC I don't use, and there are things I swore I never would use (like multiserver support) that I now use every day. However this has nothing to do with anything. I never said I wouldn't use "leave channel window open on part", you infered that on your own. All I expressed was my usage of "leave channel window open on quit" which I said the same purpose can not be used for the same thing with part. My point was to say that you bringing up leaving it open on quit is irrelevant since I'm sure more people use it for what I said than for "I'm gonna leave for an hour then come back and still have the text in the window" but as I said, if you believe thats not the case, then others are free to post that that is what they use it for and therefore it would be useful for /part. But again, no one has yet done that.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I've read that last paragraph 6 times and I still can't make out what it means.

I think it would be useful.

Scenario 1: a user comes into a scripting help channel, gets help, /part -n's the channel so he can study the answer without the scroll...gets confused and uses /hop to rejoin and clarify certain esoteric and obscure techniques used, /part -n's again to contemplate his naval lint without getting his scripting question and his naval lint confused. Then he can rejoin or close the window as he desires.

Scenario 2: a user joins a chat channel...sees there are 1200 nicks talking at the same time (way too much) and so /part -n's the channel to come back later. Closing the channel window would mean remembering the name of the channel to return to, its exact spelling and any key that was on the channel at the time. At some later point, /hop would rejoin the channel for a quick re-check.

I wish the nicklist at the time of /part -n was retained. That would make it much more useful as nick tab completion would still work. If that worked...:

Scenario 3: an oper joins a naughty channel, gets the nicklist and topic and yada yada as normal. Oper uses /part -nr to leave the channel but retain the window and nicklist for use with tab completion. Then after parting, the oper can query ChanServ/NickServ/UberServ and route the response notices to the active window, getting them logged all in one place without having to deal with doing the same thing but getting kicked by the naughty ops halfway through the investigatory process, screwing up logs and just making the process generally more difficult. Of course, it can be scripted...I have already done so. The opers who can't script, or don't use my script or one like it, just have to deal with it.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
I think it would be a good idea to keep the channel window open when you are kicked also. Could be useful to see exactly why you were kicked. It only remains open when rejoin is enabled at present.

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:

I think it would be a good idea to keep the channel window open when you are kicked also. Could be useful to see exactly why you were kicked. It only remains open when rejoin is enabled at present.

Why is it so hard to look in ur status window? smirk

Last edited by sparta; 20/08/03 11:08 AM.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I could see it apply to /hop, but /hop already does leave the window open.

CTCP 99:HOP:*: {
  if ($2 ischan) && ($me !isop $2) {
    part -n $1 cycling
    .timer 1 $iif($3 isnum 0-120,$3,10) join $2
} }

I also wouldn't mind seeing /HOP -cnu30 #chan to give a 30 second delay before rejoining.

O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
umm because there ins't always a good reason, I dont know many times I see "Why was i banned from #blah?"

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'd like to see the option added. I'd also like mIRC to once again leave the nicklist intact on QUIT/DISCONNECT.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Agreed on the Nicklist deal. I can understand how it may adversly effect poorly written scripts that use $comchan without checking ($me ison $chan) or whatever. I'm certain additional properties can be added or these identifiers can be adjusted to work properly around a populated nicklest of a parted channel.

I personally believe the visible nicklist should have little effect on script identifiers, and the user should be able to modify the nicklist at will... removing and adding entries, manually sorting it by friends or idle time or however they choose.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It never affected $comchan() because your nick disappeared from the list while the others remained. laugh

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Scenario 1:
That seems like an unlikely scenario. In most cases on scripting channels I've been a part of, if a user keeps leaving then 5 mins later comes back with another question he gets the standard "If you have a bunch of questions, just ask them, don't keep join/parting" Additionally this will lead to things like, "SomeOp was helping me before, but then I parted and now he is gone, where did he go?" whereas if the user had been in the channel he would have seen the "Quit: brb" message and not had to bother anyone with such a question.

Scenario 2:
If the user can't even remember the channel name, then they can look in the status window for the /names reply. The whole part about remembering the key is also irrelevant. If the user can't remember the key, how does the said user intend to rejoin the channel tomorrow (after mIRC/PC have been shutdown)? Channels I frequent that require a key, I either remember the key, or I write it down somewhere. And, if that's not good enough for you, the user can go to the channels folder, click "add" and enter the channel name and password. This, is a better solution since now even after mIRC is restarted the channel name/password are still stored. Additionally, if there were 1200 nicks talking at once, upon rejoining the user will most likely /clear anyway in order to eliminate their full buffer filled with text they don't even care about.

Scenario 3:
Again, the /names output is displayed in the status window. The oper can join, then part and see the names reply in the status window and do whatever he/she must do there. Additionally, most networks allow the opers to simply do a /who #channel or /names #channel from outside the channel and see all users (including +i) therefore eliminating the need to ever join the channel if you already know the channel is bad.

I really don't see how any of the scenarios you provided are in anyway real life experiences, and I really don't see how the idea of keeping the channel window open on parting would make life any easier even if these scenarios did occur.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
keep note of this post when something like this does get added .... I sure hope u then come back return and write an apology or something ... you are nothing but rude and seek fights with anyone who disagres with u. The most important thing to rememer is this. Khaled decides what goes into mirc not u .... for that i am eternally greatful smile

D3m0nnet.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard