mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
When you put the channel bar to the left side of your screen, and put your mouse pointer on the lower right corner of a server button, there will show up a description like normal, but it blinks, unlike normal where it just stays smile btw, this only is when you put your channel bar on the left side...
( yeah i know, i have way too much free time... :-/ )
(in mIRC 6.03)
greetings,
kamme

S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
lol
same here 6.03 on xp pro

P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
I can't get it to work under Windows 98 SE.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It might only happen on NT boxes.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
What server button?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Doesn't do it here under 98SE either.

(A server button or "tab" is the only button that will display a tool-tip popup, in which case appears to blink when docked on the left)

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
i think it may have to do with the fact that when ur on the lower right corner, your actually on the toolti itself. When you are not hovering over the tooltip, it won't blink.

-KingTomato
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Ah ok, the status button, yeah happens in WinXP Home as well. Honestly, now that 16bit support is gone, I don't see why Khaled doesn't use the Windows builtin tooltips? I like the windows version much better, especially under XP. I have tooltips set to "fade in" and "fade out" and display a shadow, however since mIRC doesn't use the standard tooltips none of these features are available in mIRC.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
NT4 and blinking grin

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
I'm using win ME, so it has nothing to do with NT based or not wink
Maybe it has something to do with the hovering, but i doubt it... If it was that, it should blink when you're on the left side too, and it doesnt...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It might be a mIRC easter egg...

K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
lol, why would it be that? The easter egg's mIRC has are funnier... I dont think anyone would code a blinking popup as an easter egg... its probably just some tiny bug... Besides, its no big deal smile It just shows how much spare time I have :tongue:

P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
I agree. I don't think it's an easter egg at all, but more of a Windows issue. Not surprised actually.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
It has nothing to do with Windows. Read Khaled's FAQ, he wrote the tooltips:
Quote:
Answer: Yes, the Toolbar and tooltips, the Tabbed dialogs, the Tree List in the Options dialog, the Switchbar, the Text Display in windows, and one or two other controls, are all custom coded.

The reason for custom coding these controls is that they formed an integral part of the interface, and I wanted to make sure that they worked the same way under all versions of Windows, including Windows 3.1 for the 16bit mIRC.

As I said, since Win3.1 support is gone, I think mIRC should use the Windows tooltips since for us XP/2k/2003 users who have additional tooltip options, these features are disabled in mIRC since mIRC's tooltips don't support it.

P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
I see. Not to get off topic, but seeing how Windows 3.x is no longer being supported, I wonder how long untill Windows 95/98 are no longer supported... frown I remember seeing some joker on a petitions site who was collecting signatures to continue a version of mIRC for Windows 3.x.

Quote:

The reason for custom coding these controls is that they formed an integral part of the interface, and I wanted to make sure that they worked the same way under all versions of Windows, including Windows 3.1 for the 16bit mIRC.

Well obviously the "custom coded" tooltips don't work the same way under all versions of Windows like he claims, or else this post wouldn't even exist. laugh

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It was just a suggestion, anyway, what is so funny about typing /xyzzy and having it return "Nothing happens"? And that is a fairdinkum easter egg. It all comes down to what one thinks is funny I suppose.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Khaled continued support for 3.x for a very long time after not many ppl were still using it (actually there were times when i thought a certain bear and i were the last 3.x users left on the planet). The issue was that 3.x was 16 bit, and Khaled eventually focused on 32 bit only (which 95 and 98 are, so no worries). Removing a lot of 16bit-specific code solved some old probs and enabled a lot of improvements.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
This is because you lack the knowledge of this little message (and I don't think I've ever seen anyone here actually talk about this). Everyone talks about xyzzy as being from the Adventure game, but what does the "nothing happens" mean? It's not about the game, it's about an OS, called AOS/VS which was made by Data General sometime around the late 80's early 90's. Anyway, this OS had an undocumented command called xyzzy, and this command displayed the message "Nothing happens." when it was used. When the 32bit version of AOS/VS came out the changed the message to "Twice as much nothing happens." xyzzy was a "magic word" in the Adventure game, and it was used to complete a puzzle. The game became EXTREMELY popular very quickly, and the term 'xyzzy' became a common phrase to most people who have been working with computers for a while. 'xyzzy' quickly became a word that implied unlocking something hidden, this is probably why the AOS/VS people added it, people assumed it would unlock something hidden in the OS, and therefore the coders decided to make a little joke by making it's hidden feature actually doing nothing. Seeing as how mIRC uses the exact text from AOS/VS (even the period at the end, and mIRC doesn't use periods on any other messages it displays that I know of), so it seems that AOS/VS is where mIRC got it from.

If you don't see the humor in this message, it's probably because you just aren't familiar with the field of 'computer nerd history.' Plus, xyzzy is arguably one of the first easter eggs ever in computer programs, so I'd say it is appropriate.

Oh and PS, for someone who complains when ever someone uses US spellings such as "or" instead of "our" or "zation" instead of "sation" you tend to use a lot of Australian colloquialisms in your posts.

K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
It blinks when wine'ing mIRC too, and wine makes calls to equivalent linux code to replace calls to windows dll and such, so it is coded, and has nothing to do with the OS... That leaves only one solution AFAIK: bug smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
"Fairdinkum" is not colloquial. It is a proper word used by all classes of society and has many meanings just like alot of other words in the English language, even John Howard used it when asking Saddam Hussein to comply with UN 1441 and the rest of the world had no apparent trouble understanding what he meant, including George Bush. Try doing some research and getting some accurate results from the same before making this sort of judgement. On the subject and dealing with your complex about spelling, neither Australia or the United States invented the English language. The big difference here is that we didn't re-invent it to suit ourselves like the US did.

Lastly I made no prepresentation about whether I knew anything about /xyzzy. When you reply to comments you always belittle others about how much you believe they know. For the record I don't know of it's origins and quite frankly it is not important to me if it came from a game or from where-ever. I made a script once that included an alias that altered that reply to "[censored] happens" which some people found more amusing. Did I ask if they knew the origin of the remark? Of course not. I have better things to do with my time than constantly compare my knowledge to that of others. If you know everything then good luck to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard