mIRC Homepage
Posted By: kamelion its a little bug, but it is one :) - 07/07/03 04:30 PM
When you put the channel bar to the left side of your screen, and put your mouse pointer on the lower right corner of a server button, there will show up a description like normal, but it blinks, unlike normal where it just stays smile btw, this only is when you put your channel bar on the left side...
( yeah i know, i have way too much free time... :-/ )
(in mIRC 6.03)
greetings,
kamme
Posted By: SergioNL Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 07/07/03 05:32 PM
lol
same here 6.03 on xp pro
Posted By: Prizm Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 07/07/03 05:48 PM
I can't get it to work under Windows 98 SE.
Posted By: Watchdog Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 07/07/03 05:54 PM
It might only happen on NT boxes.
Posted By: codemastr Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 07/07/03 06:12 PM
What server button?
Posted By: Raccoon Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 07/07/03 06:29 PM
Doesn't do it here under 98SE either.

(A server button or "tab" is the only button that will display a tool-tip popup, in which case appears to blink when docked on the left)

- Raccoon
Posted By: KingTomato Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 07/07/03 06:38 PM
i think it may have to do with the fact that when ur on the lower right corner, your actually on the toolti itself. When you are not hovering over the tooltip, it won't blink.
Posted By: codemastr Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 07/07/03 06:48 PM
Ah ok, the status button, yeah happens in WinXP Home as well. Honestly, now that 16bit support is gone, I don't see why Khaled doesn't use the Windows builtin tooltips? I like the windows version much better, especially under XP. I have tooltips set to "fade in" and "fade out" and display a shadow, however since mIRC doesn't use the standard tooltips none of these features are available in mIRC.
Posted By: theRat Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 07/07/03 07:22 PM
NT4 and blinking grin
Posted By: kamelion Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 08/07/03 07:32 PM
I'm using win ME, so it has nothing to do with NT based or not wink
Maybe it has something to do with the hovering, but i doubt it... If it was that, it should blink when you're on the left side too, and it doesnt...
Posted By: Watchdog Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 08/07/03 08:05 PM
It might be a mIRC easter egg...
Posted By: kamelion Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 08/07/03 08:56 PM
lol, why would it be that? The easter egg's mIRC has are funnier... I dont think anyone would code a blinking popup as an easter egg... its probably just some tiny bug... Besides, its no big deal smile It just shows how much spare time I have :tongue:
Posted By: Prizm Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 08/07/03 09:25 PM
I agree. I don't think it's an easter egg at all, but more of a Windows issue. Not surprised actually.
Posted By: codemastr Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 08/07/03 10:05 PM
It has nothing to do with Windows. Read Khaled's FAQ, he wrote the tooltips:
Quote:
Answer: Yes, the Toolbar and tooltips, the Tabbed dialogs, the Tree List in the Options dialog, the Switchbar, the Text Display in windows, and one or two other controls, are all custom coded.

The reason for custom coding these controls is that they formed an integral part of the interface, and I wanted to make sure that they worked the same way under all versions of Windows, including Windows 3.1 for the 16bit mIRC.

As I said, since Win3.1 support is gone, I think mIRC should use the Windows tooltips since for us XP/2k/2003 users who have additional tooltip options, these features are disabled in mIRC since mIRC's tooltips don't support it.
Posted By: Prizm Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 08/07/03 10:09 PM
I see. Not to get off topic, but seeing how Windows 3.x is no longer being supported, I wonder how long untill Windows 95/98 are no longer supported... frown I remember seeing some joker on a petitions site who was collecting signatures to continue a version of mIRC for Windows 3.x.

Quote:

The reason for custom coding these controls is that they formed an integral part of the interface, and I wanted to make sure that they worked the same way under all versions of Windows, including Windows 3.1 for the 16bit mIRC.

Well obviously the "custom coded" tooltips don't work the same way under all versions of Windows like he claims, or else this post wouldn't even exist. laugh
Posted By: Watchdog Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 09/07/03 03:11 AM
It was just a suggestion, anyway, what is so funny about typing /xyzzy and having it return "Nothing happens"? And that is a fairdinkum easter egg. It all comes down to what one thinks is funny I suppose.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 09/07/03 07:42 AM
Khaled continued support for 3.x for a very long time after not many ppl were still using it (actually there were times when i thought a certain bear and i were the last 3.x users left on the planet). The issue was that 3.x was 16 bit, and Khaled eventually focused on 32 bit only (which 95 and 98 are, so no worries). Removing a lot of 16bit-specific code solved some old probs and enabled a lot of improvements.
Posted By: codemastr Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 09/07/03 03:24 PM
This is because you lack the knowledge of this little message (and I don't think I've ever seen anyone here actually talk about this). Everyone talks about xyzzy as being from the Adventure game, but what does the "nothing happens" mean? It's not about the game, it's about an OS, called AOS/VS which was made by Data General sometime around the late 80's early 90's. Anyway, this OS had an undocumented command called xyzzy, and this command displayed the message "Nothing happens." when it was used. When the 32bit version of AOS/VS came out the changed the message to "Twice as much nothing happens." xyzzy was a "magic word" in the Adventure game, and it was used to complete a puzzle. The game became EXTREMELY popular very quickly, and the term 'xyzzy' became a common phrase to most people who have been working with computers for a while. 'xyzzy' quickly became a word that implied unlocking something hidden, this is probably why the AOS/VS people added it, people assumed it would unlock something hidden in the OS, and therefore the coders decided to make a little joke by making it's hidden feature actually doing nothing. Seeing as how mIRC uses the exact text from AOS/VS (even the period at the end, and mIRC doesn't use periods on any other messages it displays that I know of), so it seems that AOS/VS is where mIRC got it from.

If you don't see the humor in this message, it's probably because you just aren't familiar with the field of 'computer nerd history.' Plus, xyzzy is arguably one of the first easter eggs ever in computer programs, so I'd say it is appropriate.

Oh and PS, for someone who complains when ever someone uses US spellings such as "or" instead of "our" or "zation" instead of "sation" you tend to use a lot of Australian colloquialisms in your posts.
Posted By: kamelion Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 10/07/03 06:44 PM
It blinks when wine'ing mIRC too, and wine makes calls to equivalent linux code to replace calls to windows dll and such, so it is coded, and has nothing to do with the OS... That leaves only one solution AFAIK: bug smile
Posted By: Watchdog Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 10/07/03 10:41 PM
"Fairdinkum" is not colloquial. It is a proper word used by all classes of society and has many meanings just like alot of other words in the English language, even John Howard used it when asking Saddam Hussein to comply with UN 1441 and the rest of the world had no apparent trouble understanding what he meant, including George Bush. Try doing some research and getting some accurate results from the same before making this sort of judgement. On the subject and dealing with your complex about spelling, neither Australia or the United States invented the English language. The big difference here is that we didn't re-invent it to suit ourselves like the US did.

Lastly I made no prepresentation about whether I knew anything about /xyzzy. When you reply to comments you always belittle others about how much you believe they know. For the record I don't know of it's origins and quite frankly it is not important to me if it came from a game or from where-ever. I made a script once that included an alias that altered that reply to "[censored] happens" which some people found more amusing. Did I ask if they knew the origin of the remark? Of course not. I have better things to do with my time than constantly compare my knowledge to that of others. If you know everything then good luck to you.
Posted By: KingTomato Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 11/07/03 01:29 AM
* KingTomato pays a visit to dictionary.com to look up colloquial so he can feel educated as well.

>:(
Posted By: Watchdog Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 11/07/03 02:26 AM
It means "informal".
Posted By: KingTomato Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 11/07/03 06:58 AM
ahh, i c.. I must read the unabridged version of the dictionary. I got a near essay on that word. >:\
Posted By: codemastr Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 11/07/03 03:18 PM
Context specifies defintion. That may be one of the definitions but it is certainly not what I meant. I meant it as in a dialectal word. Meaning it's not a word in standard English. I don't go around stating words that I know only people in the US will understand, I really don't get why you have to load your posts with words only Aussies will understand, especially when you criticize anyone who decides to deviate from the "queen's english".
Posted By: Watchdog Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 11/07/03 10:26 PM
I don't criticise anyone for the way they speak. It ticks me off that you think everyone has to talk and spell like you though. If I recall correctly, it was you that started all this nonsense by asking why I spell colour with a U in it. That being the case, don't take notice of it if you don't like it.
Posted By: pheonix Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 11/07/03 10:34 PM
in addition to watchdogs post, what you are doing is no better and no worse than being racist, you are basically saying just because you have a different spelling to us we should spell it your way, thats like saying our country is insignificant to urs, yes we spell colour and tyre the same as watchdogs, but that doesnt mean the way your country spells it is wrong it just means that it is spelt differently in 2 different countries
Posted By: Pasmal Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 13/07/03 07:46 AM
Fairdinkum is slang. I'm a kiwi, I know.

Kiwi bashers (aka Aussies), bash away :P
Posted By: obsessed Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 13/07/03 11:45 AM
Baah Baah wink
Posted By: Watchdog Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 13/07/03 12:42 PM
Unless you are one of the 500,000 Kiwis that live in Sydney then I doubt you could call yourself an authority on Australian words. And "Kiwi Bashers" is a term invented by Helen Clarke, a catagorisation typical of a left wing politician. I don't consider myself a Kiwi basher though I am all ears for the occasional sheep joke. :tongue:
Posted By: Pasmal Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 14/07/03 12:01 AM
Kiwi bashing has been around as long as Aussie bashing, and that was way before Helen's time. I love the trans tasman rivalries... it's all good fun.

Besides, we get enough of your silly soaps over here (I pray you don't get Shortland Street) to know aussie slang when I see it smile

Though I must admit, I don't know any abbo... is there actually an abbo language?

But anyway, in regards to codemaster, I think it's perfectly fine for people to spice up their comments with slang and colloquiums. Most of the time it's a simple matter of thinking about the word for a few seconds and hey presto, you're enlightened (even by Kiwis/Aussies).

Nothing wrong with a bit of culture...

Posted By: Watchdog Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 14/07/03 01:41 AM
I agree wholeheartly, as Parabrat said, it's a learning experience. As for rivalry, I like it too, it's the same as interstate rivalry, especially when the State of Origin football is on. For six weeks New South Welshmen and Queenslanders hate each other's guts, then when the national team is selected to play either New Zealand or Great Britain the 'enemy' changes. I will always remember game 2 in 1999 when the Olympic stadium was first opened. There was 103,000 at the game, a Rugby League world record crowd, and it sounded funny hearing that many people singing a particular song about the Queenslanders that I can't repeat here lol.
Posted By: Pasmal Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 14/07/03 03:16 AM
Which reminds me... *grumbles at NZRU for loosing the stupid world cup co-hosting!!*
Posted By: Watchdog Re: its a little bug, but it is one :) - 14/07/03 05:31 AM
Yeah, would have been good to share a few games.
© mIRC Discussion Forums