mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
* KingTomato pays a visit to dictionary.com to look up colloquial so he can feel educated as well.

>:(

-KingTomato
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It means "informal".

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
ahh, i c.. I must read the unabridged version of the dictionary. I got a near essay on that word. >:\

-KingTomato
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Context specifies defintion. That may be one of the definitions but it is certainly not what I meant. I meant it as in a dialectal word. Meaning it's not a word in standard English. I don't go around stating words that I know only people in the US will understand, I really don't get why you have to load your posts with words only Aussies will understand, especially when you criticize anyone who decides to deviate from the "queen's english".

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I don't criticise anyone for the way they speak. It ticks me off that you think everyone has to talk and spell like you though. If I recall correctly, it was you that started all this nonsense by asking why I spell colour with a U in it. That being the case, don't take notice of it if you don't like it.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
in addition to watchdogs post, what you are doing is no better and no worse than being racist, you are basically saying just because you have a different spelling to us we should spell it your way, thats like saying our country is insignificant to urs, yes we spell colour and tyre the same as watchdogs, but that doesnt mean the way your country spells it is wrong it just means that it is spelt differently in 2 different countries

new username: tidy_trax
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Fairdinkum is slang. I'm a kiwi, I know.

Kiwi bashers (aka Aussies), bash away :P

O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
Baah Baah wink

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unless you are one of the 500,000 Kiwis that live in Sydney then I doubt you could call yourself an authority on Australian words. And "Kiwi Bashers" is a term invented by Helen Clarke, a catagorisation typical of a left wing politician. I don't consider myself a Kiwi basher though I am all ears for the occasional sheep joke. :tongue:

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Kiwi bashing has been around as long as Aussie bashing, and that was way before Helen's time. I love the trans tasman rivalries... it's all good fun.

Besides, we get enough of your silly soaps over here (I pray you don't get Shortland Street) to know aussie slang when I see it smile

Though I must admit, I don't know any abbo... is there actually an abbo language?

But anyway, in regards to codemaster, I think it's perfectly fine for people to spice up their comments with slang and colloquiums. Most of the time it's a simple matter of thinking about the word for a few seconds and hey presto, you're enlightened (even by Kiwis/Aussies).

Nothing wrong with a bit of culture...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I agree wholeheartly, as Parabrat said, it's a learning experience. As for rivalry, I like it too, it's the same as interstate rivalry, especially when the State of Origin football is on. For six weeks New South Welshmen and Queenslanders hate each other's guts, then when the national team is selected to play either New Zealand or Great Britain the 'enemy' changes. I will always remember game 2 in 1999 when the Olympic stadium was first opened. There was 103,000 at the game, a Rugby League world record crowd, and it sounded funny hearing that many people singing a particular song about the Queenslanders that I can't repeat here lol.

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Which reminds me... *grumbles at NZRU for loosing the stupid world cup co-hosting!!*

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yeah, would have been good to share a few games.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard