mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I'd like to request the ability to specify a Network Interface / Network Adapter that mIRC is given permission to use. It will not be able to use any other adapter.

This will be useful in making sure mIRC only connects through a virtual interface for proxy VPN connections, and not via the local actual network interface.

A drop-combo would be populated with the interfaces to choose from.

Last edited by Raccoon; 10/09/20 12:37 AM.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
You can already do that from the options -> Connect -> Options -> Ports..., no?

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Hmm. That's close. But it binds to an Adapter + IP address. The IP address changes constantly with most VPN software, but remains static in mIRC's settings.

Is there a way to make it bind to an Adapter Only?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Is there a way to make it bind to an Adapter Only?

It should have allowed this, however it looks like there is an issue with how adapter names and IP addresses are handled that is preventing this. I have made a changed in the next beta that should resolve this.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Thanks Khaled!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I was just testing the latest beta with different combinations of network adapters/binds and it is still not doing what it should be doing. I should have this fixed in the next beta :-]

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Still today, mIRC is being promiscuous and utilizing whatever adapter it feels like.

T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
I'm not on the beta, I'm on release 7.63 but I also experience this issue. My source to the web is via WiFi, I still have a LAN port, but no hard cable ran. mIRC will find the right adapter and connect to IRC fine, but it gets confused sometimes on uPnP requests, and even my uPnP Daemon doesn't resolve this issue like it used to before in the past. Turns out if I do a localinfo -h, it winds up resolving to my LAN adapter's IP address which literally goes no-where (not even a LAN cable plugged into the back) instead of my WiFi adapters internal IP, which makes sense on why uPnP fails when it's trying to ask my router for a port forward to the wrong adapters local ip.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Still today, mIRC is being promiscuous and utilizing whatever adapter it feels like.

The latest beta is working correctly for me when I enter a specific network adapter in the ports dialog.

Can you describe a step by step method that reproduces the issue you are seeing?

Also, remember, if the network adapter you have specified in the ports dialog is not available for any reason, mIRC will default to using any adapter for the connection, eg. if the adapter is disabled or no longer exists.

Last edited by Khaled; 02/12/20 08:34 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard