Hoopy frood
R

No.

roberttx #203825 28/08/08 11:58 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I should have mentioned that if a send fails with DCC Passive enabled, the failure will most likely be on the end of the receiver, not on your end.

KaOSoFt #206949 29/11/08 10:47 PM
C
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
C
Originally Posted By: KaOSoFt
Quote:
Check for an ip mismatch by typing /dns yournickhere and then typing //say $ip and compare the two. If they arent the same, type /localinfo -u and then try to DCC send.

Thanks A LOT. This just paragraph solved almost 3 years of ignorance and 'messing stuff up'.

Really, thank you a lot. I think this should be included in mIRC's options (somehow). Thanks again for your great support.

Add my thanks also! I just happened on this one suggestion after hours of trying to get my dcc send to work and this simple command fixed it. Awesome!

ParaBrat #210494 18/03/09 01:21 AM
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
Hi, Just wanted to say thanks for the helpful info, came looking for which ports i needed to foward for dcc to work. MIRC 4 LIFE!

After I die, I hope people say," That guy sure owed me alot of money."
ParaBrat #211342 12/04/09 07:52 PM
L
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
L
My files are timming out this happened after I installed a proxy server program to surf anomonisly, but it still don't send after unistalling the anomonomus browser

ParaBrat #211495 18/04/09 05:57 PM
N
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
N
Hello everyone.. well this is my first post.. i have used mirc over 2 years ago and now i got it on my computer but i cant seem to receive files.. I have typed in the following:

/ctcp <name> xdcc send#

and nothing happens.. i look into my status and i receive this error:
You must identify to a registered nick to private message <name>

i am a registred user but i dont know what to do?? Help please

thank you in advance,
Nate

n8izzle #211497 18/04/09 06:33 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It seems that "you need to be registered to send a private message". This is a relatively straightforward message. The network you're on has registration services (nickserv) and you need to use them. To find out how, ask people on the network.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
n8izzle #221798 29/05/10 05:17 PM
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
Finally I've solved my own "cannot DCC send" problem! Since I installed a wireless router I wasn't able to send or receive files. I tried rerouting ports in the router and lots of other things, but nothing worked. Finally I solved it in this way:
- I removed all port rerouting from router
- In mIRC options "Connect .. Local Info" I checked Local Host and Normal Lookup Method
- When sending I always use Passive DCC on

I hope this is useful for other people too.

noMen #221841 30/05/10 01:27 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It's recommended for people to enable port forwarding, not disable it. Passive DCC will only work with clients who are setup to allow incoming connections. Finally, you should not use Normal Lookup behind a router, as mIRC will be reporting the wrong IP address. Changing it to Server won't affect your sending with passive DCC, but it will make $ip return the correct value.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
argv0 #221844 30/05/10 06:15 AM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
In related news... the latest beta has added support for IGDs (i.e. UPnP support). I am unable to test it as my NAT doesn't support UPnP (uses NAT-PMP instead) but this is *very* welcome by all.

Thank you, Khaled. I could kiss you! smile

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
argv0 #221849 30/05/10 07:38 AM
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
Originally Posted By: argv0
It's recommended for people to enable port forwarding, not disable it. Passive DCC will only work with clients who are setup to allow incoming connections. Finally, you should not use Normal Lookup behind a router, as mIRC will be reporting the wrong IP address. Changing it to Server won't affect your sending with passive DCC, but it will make $ip return the correct value.

I cannot disagree with you :-) However, it works for me. Port forwarding doesn't.

noMen #221879 31/05/10 01:46 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It won't work all the time. In fact it will only work if you send files to people who have their port forwarding properly configured. The second you try to send to someone like yourself, it will fail.

Port forwarding likely doesn't work because you missed a step or did something wrong-- or your router is broken/faulty. You can certainly make it work if you follow the instructions for your router (http://portforward.com) or call your ISP technical support and see if they can figure out what's wrong.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
argv0 #221887 31/05/10 05:52 AM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: argv0
It won't work all the time. In fact it will only work if you send files to people who have their port forwarding properly configured. The second you try to send to someone like yourself, it will fail.

Port forwarding likely doesn't work because you missed a step or did something wrong-- or your router is broken/faulty. You can certainly make it work if you follow the instructions for your router (http://portforward.com) or call your ISP technical support and see if they can figure out what's wrong.

Maybe I'm mistaken but what does this have to do w/ mIRC adding UPnP support? Only one person needs UPnP support, the other person may use passive DCC. As long as one person has automatic port mapping setup, passive DCC will work.

And if you can't DCC yourself, your router is *not* the problem.

Last edited by MeStinkBAD; 31/05/10 05:57 AM.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
UPnP and it must be supported by the router, which not all routers actually support. Some support it but disable the feature by default, so the router still needs to be configured. And of course, UPnP support is only in betas, which the user may or may not have. I won't recommend any features that are in a beta version of mIRC- when a final release is out, the solution might change. Until then, configuring the router is a better idea. In either case, it's irrelevant whether UPnP or manual port forwarding is used.

Passive DCC reverses how the connection is made. The sender usually receives the connection-- with passive DCC on, the receiver receives the connection. Therefore it's not just "one" person who has to have the port open, it has to be the right person. Automatic versus manual mapping is irrelevant, the point is that the receiver has to have the port open with passive on, the sender must have it otherwise. This means a passive DCC SEND will not work when the user sends to someone who does not have DCC configured.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
noMen #221919 31/05/10 09:59 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
@noMen: Port forwarding, when done right will always work. That said, you did hit on the other possible reason for sends to fail... your local info must show a valid IP address. If it doesn't, you cannot send except using passive DCC. Most likely, if you put your port forwarding back in and left your Local Info as it is now, it would work for you. Also, you may run into issues if your DNS servers aren't working properly.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #221928 01/06/10 01:11 AM
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
I followed the instructions on http://portforward.com for my router exactly, but DCC wouldn't work with that. And I don't see what is wrong with using passive DCC. Wasn't this designed for people who are not able to initiate a send session? The most important thing for me, is that my DCC works fine and I'm happy.

noMen #221931 01/06/10 01:33 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
If you read my post you would know what's wrong with passive DCC. It will only help you if the other user has configured DCC. If the other user is like you and using passive DCC, or thinks that configuring their firewall is unimportant, you will be unable to send/receive with them. If this is what you consider "working", so be it; but realize that configuring your router properly will allow DCC to work 100% of the time, using passive DCC will not.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
argv0 #221945 01/06/10 04:59 PM
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
Please correct me if I am wrong argv0, because I really would like to setup my DCC correctly:

Suppose my DCC has been setup in the way you advice (port forwarding, on connect get IP, lookup method server) then I would still not be able to send files to people who haven't setup their DCC correctly, for instance when their mIRC is blocked by their firewall. Passive DCC wouldn't help me then. Also, passive DCC is only helpful for the sender in case the sender is not able to setup a 2-way DCC connection. It doesn't do anything for the receiver except establishing the connection.

Is that correct?

Last edited by noMen; 01/06/10 05:00 PM.
noMen #221948 01/06/10 07:01 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Here's a clarication of Passive DCC...

Passive DCC creates the connection in "reverse" of a normal DCC connection. This means that the person receiving has to configure their router/firewall correctly to receive the file and the sender doesn't have to do anything. In a normal DCC connection, the sender has to configure the router/firewall correctly and the receiver doesn't have to do anything. See where the difference is?

Basically, in Passive DCC, if YOU as the sender cannot configure your ports correctly, then you are stuck using Passive DCC and hoping that anyone wanting to receive from you IS able to configure theirs. If they also can't configure their router/firewall, then they will not be able to receive files from you. That's where the problem is with using Passive DCC... everyone receiving files from you has to configure their router/firewall or they can't receive files from you.

In comparison, if you're using normal DCC, you're the only one who has to configure the router/firewall so it makes it easier for everyone involved and you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to send to everyone as long as they aren't blocking DCCs.

Let me ask you this... you made 2 main changes after setting up port forwarding failed for you. You removed those port forwarding settings AND you changed your Local Info settings. Have you tried setting up port forwarding with your current Local Info settings? That may be all that you needed to change. Remember that you cannot send using normal DCC if you do not have a valid IP address in Local Info (or //echo -a IP: $ip). If it isn't being picked up for one reason or another, you can manually enter the IP into the Local Info section and it will work as long as it remains there and your IP doesn't change.

Beyond that, if you're still having trouble setting up the ports, it would be useful if you provide your router name (and model information) and whatever firewall software you are using. Also, provide the port forward information you entered into your router (something like: mirc 1024-5000 TCP 192.168.1.1 Enabled) and also what you have in your mIRC settings for the DCC ports (something like: DCC Enabled, Other Disabled, 1024-5000, Randomize Ports disabled). As a note, I don't recommend using 1024-5000 as you'll never need anywhere near that number of ports. A range of 20 ports is usually plenty. Of course, as far as whether or not it works, the port range doesn't matter as long as the same range is used in mIRC *and* in the router/firewall.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
noMen #221951 01/06/10 07:26 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Yes, that is correct. Forwarding ports is guaranteed to work for any receiver 100% of the time whereas passive DCC will only work for receivers that have their router/firewall configured (something like 60% of the time? arbitrary guess based on my own experience).

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard