mIRC Homepage
Posted By: ParaBrat Cant DCC send - 07/12/02 09:12 PM
When you can receive DCC, but cant initiate a dcc send or chat, the problem is usually one of two things: mIRC isnt getting the correct ip for you, or you are blocking the ports needed with your firewall/router/network. (NOTE: if your employer/school/isp is doing the blocking,you can go beg your sysadmin, which is pretty much an exercise in futility and will prolly make them cranky. If there happens to be a hole in the way the tech ppl set it up, or there is a way to evade their wishes, we will not help you find or exploit it)

You and the other person should check for any error msgs in your status window, like file type blocked or needing to dccallow. Try with more than one person/file type. The problem could be on the others persons end. Check your mIRC options to be sure you/them arent blocking dcc (file/options/dcc, look under ignore there too, and file/options/general/lock or in recent mIRC versions: view/ options/dcc and view/options/ other/lock).

Check for an ip mismatch by typing /dns yournickhere and then typing //say $ip and compare the two. If they arent the same, type /localinfo -u and then try to DCC send.

Make sure that mIRC is getting the external ip for you, not your internal network ip. You will also need to forward a range of ports for mIRC to use and then set those ports in mIRC's options under file/options/dcc/options (in recent versions of mIRC, it will be view/options/ connect/options and click on the advanced button ) where you see the default of 1024-5000. (Any externally initiated connections, like identd port 113 and dcc ports in options need to be forwarded in router to the lan ip of the mirc computer.)

You may also consider shutting down (temporarily) any AntiVirus programs you have running, more specifically those that have "Auto protect" or "Real time protection" features. Norton Antivirus 2005 has an 'Internet Worm Protection' feature that will block DCC, you can disable this in NAV's Options section.

XP firewall help:
on Merlin's site and here
when using this tutorial, please note that in v6.14 dcc ports moved to connect/options, click on advanced button

For help with the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Windows Firewall, which differs slightly from the original Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall, please see this website at microsoft.com. You can also see this guide, which was specifically written for mIRC by Collective.
If you are setting a port rather than making a complete exception for mIRC, choose 'TCP'.

Linksys: Linksys help http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html OR Linksys & DCC (basic) - http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/linksys_router_help_pg4.htm#mIRC - http://kareno.net/LinkSys/

Dlink: http://www.ntplx.net/dsl/Dlink.di701.pppoe.html scroll down to (3) advanced router setup also check http://www.dlink.co.uk/search.asp click on your equipment then look on left frame for config download or install guide. also this web page

Belkin: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/review/belkin-router.asp

Netgear: http://www.netgear.org/

Note, you can find guides for port forwarding for many more routers at http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm so check that out if the above doesn't help you! (Thanks Danthmandoo for that link)

Also note that some routers (like some of the Netgear ones) seem to dislike port 6667, try changing to a different server port. Also be sure you have the latest firmware for your router.

General networking and ICS help:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/
http://www.dalantech.com/
http://www.ircworks.com/ics.htm
http://www.borg.com/~chuck/using.htm

DSL: You may be able to web or telnet in to adjust the default settings. Ask your provider, and finding out what router they use will be a help to you. You can telnet into some, with a text-only configuration, and you can web into others with password protected access. Some have built in firewall/routers that you may or may not be able to adjust. The provider may have set up very restrictive settings, or they may be that way by default until you change them. If you can web-administer your unit, the fix will vary depending on the device in question. Get the model number of your unit, and go to the maker's website. See if it is "integrated router" or "integrated firewall" type. Settle in, and start reading the configuration documents at the makers site smile Note that some settings can only be adjusted from the ISP level, while others could be adjusted by the user, but only if the ISP allows the user access.

Cable:Some cable users have resolved their DCC problem by doing the following:
1. Be sure the cable provider doesn't have you firewalled.
2. While disconnected, in File>Options>Connect>Local info, under on connect always get, clear both the local host and the greyed out ip address boxes.
3. In Windows control panel>internet options>connection, change both modem and LAN settings to "automatically detect"

Satellite: I've been told that some, like directpc and directway one have a packet size and distance issue from your computer to the satellite to their *station* back to the satellite and back to the other computer and dcc send isnt likely to cooperate

( NOTE: its possible scripts/addons could interfere with things. unload them, turn them off or try with a new clean copy of mIRC in a new directory)
Posted By: Chatmag Re: Cant DCC send - 02/03/03 06:54 PM
"2. While disconnected, in File>Options>Connect>Local info, under on connect always get, clear both the local host and the
greyed out ip address boxes."

I use DSL at home, and found that if I clear the boxes, as stated above, and I choose "On connect, always get" Local Host and "Look Up Method" as Server, it does allow me to DCC send. I have tried other combinations of those settings, without any luck.
Posted By: weeboy Re: Cant DCC send - 12/04/03 11:53 AM
Hello,

my problem is that i use a bouncer and when i type /localinfon -u, it gets the BOUNCER ip instead of mine, any solution ?

thanks in advance
weeboy!
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 13/04/03 08:07 AM
It gets the bnc ip because that is what you are connecting with. You would have to manually input your ip (connect/localinfo) in place of the bnc ip. Of course, that rather defeats the reason some ppl use a bnc, which is to hide their actual ip from everyone.
Posted By: Mungkee Re: Cant DCC send - 21/04/03 10:28 PM
here what mungkee do

he have problem 2

open mIRC
DCC options
DCC ports: 1024

go to router settings
forward TCP 1024
be sure enabled
DCC Server settings
Check enable DCC Server

also in Router settings

forward UDP 113
be sure enabled

Mungkee Happy : )

prob already in here
but I think silly to have 3000+ ports open
why have a firewall or router???
Posted By: yyyc186 Re: Cant DCC send - 01/06/03 07:30 PM
Mirc needs a severe mod. Just tested this with a friend on-line and my DirecWay connection. The IP address returned by /DNS done by myself in Mirc yeilds the local IP address in the Sat software. This IP works for receiving only.

Had friend do /DNS on me and got totally different IP address. Switched to that IP address. Could send just fine, but now receive is broke. Packet size has nothing to do with it. Changed IP address back to original and received worked...send broke again.

Mirc needs a change to allow for seperate IP when sending.

Posted By: Supremo Re: Cant DCC send - 12/06/03 03:54 AM
Hello,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge with computers. My problem is that when a bot sends me something I automatically reject it. I am pretty confused on what to do right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And again, I apologize for my lack of computer knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Chris

P.S. My email is...
kalyballer@yahoo.com
My AIM is...
kalyballer
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 13/06/03 04:36 AM
without knowing what if any error msgs you see in your status window:
-you may be rejecting the file type, file/options/dcc/folders
-you may have a script that refuses or puts ppl on ignore
-you may have dccs blocked, file/options/dcc or file/options/general/lock
-it may be a network that requires you /dccallow +nickname for certain file types
-the sender may be having the prob, not you
Posted By: raz Re: Cant DCC send - 23/06/03 12:49 PM
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or forgetting, I hope someone here can help.

I'm behind a router, with a cable connection. My provider does not have me firewalled, I've tried port forwarding, my localhost and ip. The results of my //dns $me and //echo $ip are the same.
I've followed the steps listed in this thread, I know I must be missing something, or not doing a step right. I would appreciate any help offered. crazy

raz
Posted By: vague Re: Cant DCC send - 22/07/03 12:57 PM
I'll just make this comment once more, because there is one more possible solution, skip the technical bits they merely confuse you:

DCC sends have following negotiation sequence (give or take, I'm forgetting):

sender listens on port
sender -> reciever: DCC SEND filename ip port filesize
reciever TCP connects to port and the transfer starts

This reveals the problem: The sender needs to be able to accept incomming TCP connection by listening on a port, if he can't, because he is behind a firewall or he shares an IP with others (for example with a NAT), he can't DCC send.

Since mIRC 5.4(1?) there has been a different sequence supported by mIRC, passive DCC. It's specified to be used with firewalls but works in many other cases just as well (i.e. behind a NAT). The idea behind this is that the recievers listens and the sender connects, thus removing the problem altogether. This again from memory (the exact description is in mIRC's help):

sender -> reciever: DCC SEND filename ip 0 filesize
reciever listens on port
reciever -> sender: DCC SEND filename ip port filesize
sender TCP connects to port and the transfer starts

This is very much like how FTP solves the same problem (passive FTP) and this solutions works great, except for one tiny smudge. Khaled intended this protocol for sending behind a SOCKS firewall and thus tied mIRCs implementation to this fact by disallowing passive DCC to be used if no firewall is configured. The ip sent by the sender is intended to be the firewall ip but for the reciever it makes no difference if this is the senders ip (or any arbitary number actually) instead. This limitation in mIRC implementation is not a flaw in the protocol or it's usefulness but rather a strange design decision by the mighty K. I keep trying to get this arbitary limitation lifted in future mIRC's, it takes (concievably) next to no implementation effort and would enhance the utility for some users. As a proof-of-concept that this setup works anyone with send problems should download an try:

[link deleted by moderator. no disrespect intended, but we advise against users d/l every addon they see]

It allows DCC sends using this protocol by adding it's own DCC send code. Liberate passive DCC in mIRC, make my addon redundant.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 22/07/03 06:25 PM
Skip the condescending attitude, its uncalled for. You obviously missed the point of this thread. The intent is to list some commonly encountered issues and resources that a new user can investigate with relative ease, all of which have solved the problem for countless users.
Posted By: vague Re: Cant DCC send - 23/07/03 08:23 AM
The condescending attitude was not intentional and I apologize if I phrased myself in a manner that provoked you. I also apologize should this happen in the future. As for helping countless people, I know for a fact that my addon has helped dozens of people who would have no other way of initiating a DCC send. It's an honest attempt to help mIRC users and I'm spending my own time out of free will towards this 'cause', both by spreading my addon (which I haven't personally had use for the last few years) and by evangalizing the introduction of this feature into mIRC, just as you spend your time on this board (albeit on a smaller scale). All I really want is to get Khaled's attention and understanding that this change would only be necessary in the sender and that any mIRC from 5.4(1?) and on would automatically be able to recieve files under this system. In my previous communication with him on this matter he has told me that his main point of hesitation is if he'll have to introduce new incompatible changes into the DCC protocol and I've failed to get any response to my (truthful) claim that he made all the changes needed in mIRC 5.41 already. He is obviously a busy man and I tend to be way too wordy for my own good :-/

I sincerely hope I contributed to this thread by mentioning yet another technique that can help people behind firewalls who are unable to control port allocation perform DCC sends, today. I also hope my posts end up contributing to helping you help even more people in the future by introducing another way of easing the common troubles of DCC sends into mIRC.

Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 24/07/03 01:01 AM
My apologies for misunderstanding your phrasing. As i said, i meant no disrespect to you or your addon. I'm sure you understand that not every addon is done with the best of intentions and we strongly advise people to not download everything offered. Allowing everyone to "spread" their addons here would contradict that advice.

Yes, Khaled is a busy man, and recieves thousands of emails every day, so it may take a while to recieve a response. Of course, only he could speak to the changes you suggested to him and his hesitation about them.
Posted By: MrPeepers Re: Cant DCC send - 11/08/03 03:20 AM
I turned on the fire wall in mirc now I cant turn it off and I have to guess to get it work once in awhile it works as dcc once and awhile server and then as both any ideas?
Posted By: _D3m0n_ Re: Cant DCC send - 11/08/03 04:20 AM
go back to where u turned it on and with your UP arrow key press till u see none. this is a bug on some systems ..... hopefully to be resolved in the next release
Posted By: koitsu Re: Cant DCC send - 06/09/03 06:34 AM
I wrote a long description pertaining to NAT and outgoing DCCs for the guys over at BroadbandReports. I thought it would be applicable information here:

http://jdc.parodius.com/irc/dcc_nat.html

Semi-technical users that don't own a D-Link 614+ should at least be able to get the jist of what the problem is (as I describe it in laymens terms).

Please don't ream me for describing the actual IRC protocol portions in simple terms -- being as I'm one of the authors of the hybrid/ratbox ircd SSL code, rest assured that I understand exactly how it all works, but just wanted to print a simplified ersion that people could understand better.

Have fun, and let me know if what I wrote up helps.
Posted By: SpIcYsWeEt Re: Cant DCC send - 11/09/03 06:12 AM
ok ... I did everything listed from your response on down the line now when I try to send I'm getting an error message of: unable to resolve local host with someone with scripts and without ... what did I mess up?
earlier this week ... act/helproom suggested clearing my ip boxes, unchecking local host on connect always get and checking ip address ... checked server for look up

mirc 6.1
xp
dial-up
no firewall

thanks
Posted By: SpIcYsWeEt Re: Cant DCC send - 11/09/03 06:49 AM
Just wanted to spare anyone from having to excplain all over again. Please disregaurd my last message I got it and it works now, I can send ... Thank you all experienced MIRC helpers. laugh
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 12/09/03 12:57 AM
glad you got it sorted out smile
Posted By: kneeride75 Re: Cant DCC send - 19/09/03 02:06 AM
that stuff helped me out 2. thank dudes

kr
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 19/09/03 04:49 AM
glad we could help... we've got a lot of ppl who have helped make these forums a great resource smile
Posted By: TivoManiac Re: Cant DCC send - 27/09/03 04:02 PM
The problem I'm having seems different. If I establish a DCC connect with someone I can send files otherwise no go. Everything appears to be configured per everyones recommendations. Any ideas what I might be over looking?

confused
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 29/09/03 05:25 AM
If you can send to some ppl but not to others, then the problem is likely on their end, other than the things mentioned in the other posts in this thread (like perhaps using port 6667 to connect to IRC or an ip mismatch etc)
Posted By: d0h Re: Cant DCC send - 01/10/03 08:25 AM
Hi all,

I've tried setting my computer as the DMZ server, port forwarding, made sure i didnt have XP firewall on and it still doesnt work for me.

I am using a Netgear wireless router, and my computer's ip is 192.168.0.2, so i suppose i am to set that ip as my DMZ server and/or forward ports to the ip as well. I tried both but i still cant initiate a dcc send/chat. Whenever i try to dcc chat/send, my internet connection just disconnects for about a minute or so before coming back on.

Can anyone please help?
Posted By: KingTomato Re: Cant DCC send - 08/10/03 03:35 AM
OPen options dialog, and goto [+]-DCC>>-Options and look on the right hand side. Locate the "DCC Ports" box, and remember those ports. Go back to your router, and locate port forwarding. Forward those ports to your IP, and you should be fine.

Hope that helps
Posted By: d0h Re: Cant DCC send - 08/10/03 06:57 AM
Quote:
I've tried setting my computer as the DMZ server, port forwarding, made sure i didnt have XP firewall on and it still doesnt work for me.

been there
Posted By: davin00 Re: Cant DCC send - 08/10/03 10:04 AM
what would it mean if after i accept a dcc, it starts to connect and then it says connection failed?
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 08/10/03 09:54 PM
i suspect what you are seeing is it attempting to connect, and when it cant you see the failed msg. Look for any error msgs, and read the posts in this thread for some things to look at. Likely the prob is on the senders end.

Unless you mean you actually download part of the file and the send disconnects/fails midway? Could be any number of reasons for this, talk to the sender first and see if they are having probs like this with others
Posted By: flopitout77 Re: Cant DCC send - 12/10/03 09:54 AM
im on a xp home network and i connect to the internet through another compuiter. so i dont have a router.

how do i get it to work?
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 13/10/03 04:25 AM
Youre posting on the wrong thread, this one is about dcc probs, try reading this thread on connection probs
Posted By: Brain Re: Cant DCC send - 15/10/03 03:31 AM
Here's my problem:
I have two mIRC clients (same version) installed in different directories. They both can connect to the same irc server at the same time. However, one can DCC send files to others, the other cannot. As far as I know, most of the option settings are the same. Is there something that I might be missing?
Posted By: Ozzielee Re: Cant DCC send - 17/10/03 12:19 AM
Pease help ! I cant DCC send alto I can receive and DCC chat.

When I try to DCC send, it opens send box but does not send and other party does not receive.

Checked that my IP is same as those shown in mirc options. I hear that some ISP block some ports. If this is the case in my situation, how do I work around it.

I can send on MSN, ICQ and other stuff.

Any suggestion. I do not have a router, use black ice defender (disabled and still doesn't work) and running Win ME
Posted By: flopitout77 Re: Cant DCC send - 17/10/03 01:57 AM
sorry. i didnt explain enough.

i am on a windows xp professional home network. i can recieve dcc's but not send. same with chat. i dont have a router and i am on a cable connection.

i have been told that it is because of an internal ip address which my computer has because it is on a network. i dont know much about this stuff but i was wondering if u could help.

thanx
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 17/10/03 07:28 PM
any scripts on one but not on the other?
perhaps networking issue? ie not ports being forwarded, mIRC not getting the external ip?
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 17/10/03 07:30 PM
have you tried the suggestions in the first post on this thread?

without knowing specifics about your puter, ie if you have router/networked/connection type/os, hard to give you any other info than whats contained in the first post
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 17/10/03 07:36 PM
there are different issues in your setup that could be causing the problem, have you checked the xp link and the networking links/info in the first post on this thread?

You could try typing /localinfo -u to see if that will grab the external ip for the machine you are on.

I know all this stuff can be confusing. Dont forget, you can go into #mIRC on the network you use or on one of the other networks and ask one of the ops for one on one help.
Posted By: flopitout77 Re: Cant DCC send - 05/11/03 11:55 AM
ive tried everything in this thread. i dont have any idea whats wrong.

this is how my network is set up.

i can recieve dcc's. but cannot send them. wen i do /localinfo -u i get the same ip as wen i do /dns nick so i dont think the problem is there. but i dunno.

im running xp professional with no firewall

thanx 4 your help. much appreciated
Posted By: JJrules2 Re: Cant DCC send - 24/11/03 04:13 PM
I have a big problem. I can't send any DCC files. It is because of my router. My firewall is turned off, and I have tried forwarding the ports but it still wont work. It is an older router so maybe that is why. I am currently using an Edimax 6004 Which is their first router, this might be the problem. I can recieve files and have no problems at all using Kazaa. Msn works from time to time probably depending on what kind of file I want to send or receive. Does anyone know how to fix this because I hate being a leecher with a lot of bandwith to share!! And I have looked everywhere and I am sure my IRC client settings are ok.
Thanks for all your help.
I am using XP (firewall is off)
Have a DSL connection
Use SysReset as my IRC client .
Thnx
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 24/11/03 08:34 PM
-reread the first post in this thread
-find a website for your router

There is ample info in this thread and throughout the forums with the info you need. You will have to take the time to read it and use the resources mentioned. Since you have made it clear that your intent is filesharing, and odds are its files that are illegal to share please read this thread
Posted By: Spock Re: Cant DCC send - 08/12/03 07:13 AM
I was hoping to find some answers I could use in here, but nothing has seemed to work so far.

I had DCC send/receive working under v6.03, the only thing I changed was to upgrade to mirc v6.12 and now for DCC send I get, "DCC Send locked in options dialog" and for DCC receive I get a message saying a send request has been sent, but no dialog box opens to allow me to receive it.

Running WinXP, LinkSys Router, cable modem.

I have tried the suggestions here with no luck ... unless I misread or mis applied the information.

All I'm trying to do is communicate with a bot I set up on my chat server.
Posted By: Collective Re: Cant DCC send - 08/12/03 07:18 AM
Goto mIRC Options -> Other -> Lock and uncheck the "Send" and "Get" boxes.
Posted By: Spock Re: Cant DCC send - 08/12/03 07:38 AM
OK, somehow they were both checked. I can now receive, but still cannot send.

Will check further to see if any of the above suggestions now work.

Thanks Collective!
Posted By: Spock Re: Cant DCC send - 09/12/03 06:37 PM
OK, the final answer came when I opened access through my firewall. As soon as I enabled my computer to access the Internet direcly I could send as well as receive.

Needless to say, I will chose this option with care. Not only do I not wish to open any of my computers to exploits, but it is a pain to have to enable/disable the connection. I will put up with it though, as I will not leave the firewall down for long.

Thank you all for you assistance. wink
Posted By: jcsanche Re: Cant DCC send - 12/12/03 01:33 AM
I have a curious problem:
My configuration is:
dcc options
dcc ports: 7891-7895
I already checked my router and it's no blocking that range of ports.
When I try to send a file or try to begin a chat window to someone, mirc opens a socket in a correct port (between 7891-7895).. I checked it with: netstat -an -p tcp
But.. but.. but.. my friend catchs my mirc's ctcp message with:
ctcp 1:*:*:$1-
and he sees something like this:
DCC SEND file.xxx 12384983 10456 34820
Can you see the number 10456? It's supposed to be the number port! But.. the socket was opened in the range of 7891-7895.
Of course, my friend got the message "unable to connect".
I really can't understand what is happening.
I'm using mirc 6.12
What's wrong?
Thanks
Posted By: PixieDust Re: Cant DCC send - 13/12/03 01:01 AM
I can't DCC send either, and I have read all of this, and so many other threads about this, and other information pages and so on, but the main question I have is, how the hell do I forward ports? There's nothing in the configuration page of my router that says anything about that, and because I'm not a computer whizz, I have no idea..can someone please help me? I have a 4 port dsl gateway router made by Belkin.
Thanks in advance
PixieDust
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 13/12/03 02:19 AM
JC, in future could you please not crosspost (put the same post on multiple threads)? Most ppl read all the forums, and It gets confusing when ppl are trying to figure out who said what where so they dont repeat themselves or others and have all the info in one place. Thanks smile
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 13/12/03 02:34 AM
Pixie, have you checked the belkin url in the first post on this thread? (i know you said you've already done a lot of reading, and i commend you for that!) Be sure you also read the part about dsl in that post since you may need to make adjustments at the dsl level (if allowed) Also try the www.practicallynetworked.com page as it has tons of useful info. http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all has lots of info on various routers

I dont remember if anyone has previously posted info specific to setting up a belkin, but you can try using our search feature, set it to all forums and all posts and use belkin as the search term.
Posted By: PixieDust Re: Cant DCC send - 13/12/03 03:09 PM
ParaBrat - thanks for your reply, but I actually found someone to help me last night and they were able to sort the problems out...I'm still a bit confused, but as long as it's working, I'm happy smile
Cheers
PixieDust
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 13/12/03 07:29 PM
You're welcome, glad you found someone to help you sort it out smile
Posted By: Spock Re: Cant DCC send - 18/12/03 03:34 AM
OK, I have narrowed down the problem to my Router/firewall. When it's disabled for the system I'm communicating with I can send; otherwise, not.

I have decided to leave it like this rather than set up a whole in the firewall to send through. I can always temporarily disable the firewall if I wish to send something.

Thanks for all the help! grin
Posted By: yamaz Re: Cant DCC send - 23/12/03 07:12 PM
So here's the prob:

I used to DCC Send with no problems. Well, suddenly I couldnt send files anymore. And this didnt happen after a reboot or a system config change, NO, it happened right after I sent a file, without changing ANY crap on the computer.
Since 2 weeks, everytime I try to send a file, the destination sees "failed to connect" and the send doesn't start.
I have a Draytek 2600 Vigor router, but that's not the problem sice with NO port forwarding I used to send files and from the other PC i send files with Mirc...no problems.
There's no ip mismatch, no firewall, no anything. What can I do? Thanks a lot smile
Posted By: kuzul Re: Cant DCC send - 24/12/03 08:10 PM
hi there
i hope u can help solve my problem.
previuosly, i'm using a dlink router and it works well with the dcc send.i just need to change the dcc ports in the dcc option according with what they teach me at dlink website.
but, currently i've changed my router to 3com OfficeConnect Wireless 11b Cable/DSL Gateway.and i cant send dcc while using this 3com router.i dont know which dcc ports is the right port as it seem the web based configuration of this 3com router is not so helpful as it doesnt teach me the step by step procedures. or is it a must to setup a virtual server? i tried to seacrh at 3com.com for more FAQ or support but failed.i hope u cant help me solve this problem. thanx...not to mention.. i'm using the wireless card.
Posted By: Mentality Re: Cant DCC send - 24/12/03 08:23 PM
Try this page and email them. Technical Support query is what you need. You may also need to read any manuals that came with the router. All routers have a port forwarding feature (or port services) - that is, in part, the point of a router.

To set up mIRC's DCC ports, go to ALT+O > DCC > Options - the default is 1024 - 5000, but any two consecutive ports (i.e. 4441 - 4442) should work, provided those exact same ports are set up with the router.

You may also want to run a Search on these Forums for threads related to routers. Expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts' for best results.

I hope you get your DCC problems sorted out soon!

Regards,
Posted By: Mentality Re: Cant DCC send - 24/12/03 08:43 PM
If it's feasible, I suggest you disconnect the router (or forward ports 1024-5000 on the router) on a temporary basis, and then try DCC sending, just to eliminate that factor. If it works, then contact your router manufacturer if you don't know how to port forward with your router or see if they have other suggestions.

If you have Windows XP then check out these instructions on how to disable the Firewall that comes with it - the majority of people who use XP have no idea the Firewall is on.

If you haven't already, try DCC sending to 2/3 other people to make sure it's your end that is the problem. It could have been a problem with the user you were sending to. Again, even though you're sure there is no IP mismatch, type /localinfo -u to be doubly sure (always helps!) and try DCC sending again.

If none of the above work, you may want to wait for other peoples suggestions or run a Search - there are so many threads related to DCC issues! Expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts' for best results.

Good luck, and have a Merry Christmas smile

Regards,
Posted By: kuzul Re: Cant DCC send - 24/12/03 08:51 PM
thanx for ur promt reply and the information u gave

but i still confuse about the dcc ports. how could i know that the consecutive port (eg 4441-4442) is same as set up with the router? or should i test with any ports?just wanna know, what is trigger port? and what is incoming ports?

unfortunately there is no manual comes with the router.
Posted By: Mentality Re: Cant DCC send - 24/12/03 09:40 PM
Experimenting with the ports is fine. You can set any two consecutive ports in your router in the range of 1024-5000. 4441-4442 was just an example, you don't have to do that smile

As for "trigger port" I'm afraid I don't know - you'll have to contact the router manufacturer or hope that someone on the boards know smile

Regards,
Posted By: Ozzielee Re: Cant DCC send - 09/01/04 04:50 AM
Hi Para,
I've tried all the tricks/tips on this forum but to no avail. I still can't DCC send. I initially thought it was do to with blocked ports but now I think its IP issue. This was addressed by user vague. He had a link to a script that was posted but since been deleted.

Can u pls help me. I dont want to end up in a mental asylum as this problem is driving me nuts.

My system config are as follows:
PIV, 512MB RAM, MIRC6.12, Win ME, no firewall and on ADSL 512k/128k. My ADSL modem is a Dynalink AL070. I use Blackice defender but I turned it off when using MIRC but to no effect.

Thank you.
Ozzie
Posted By: zfr Re: Cant DCC send - 09/01/04 05:36 AM
Have you checked if mIRC could obtain your real (external) IP address after typing /localinfo -u ?

If you are connected to a server that masks you host/IP address, this command may not work. It's because some servers don't send a user's real host/IP even to the user himself.

As you are on a dsl connection, /localinfo -h won't work either.

The only thing that comes to my mind is learning your real/external IP address and manually entering it into mIRC Options, Connect >> Local Info

Good luck.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 09/01/04 10:09 AM
-have you checked the dsl settings (if you can web or telnet into them)

-have you tried manually putting in the correct ip

-do you perhaps mean the link in this thread
Posted By: Ozzielee Re: Cant DCC send - 12/01/04 04:25 AM
Mate,
Both localinfo -u and -h show my correct IP. According to my ISP its a static IP.
So I really dont know why I cant send. Do u have any other suggestion. I am abt to cry.........
Posted By: Ozzielee Re: Cant DCC send - 12/01/04 04:34 AM
Hi Para,

Localinfo-u shows my right IP. I have tried entering my IP manually but to do avail. I dont know what my host is so I can't enter that manually. Could it be the host issues ?
I have tried most (but not all) of the suggestions to no success. I don;t know how to use scripts in mirc so haven't tried that option yet.
I dont have a router or firewall and my connection is ADSL and I have a static IP. I use Win ME. I am able to FTP and send via MSN.
The receive seems to get a window saying I am trying to send on port 1370 but never receives the file. I would gladly pay someone to solve my problem for me.
Any other suggestions. frown
Posted By: zfr Re: Cant DCC send - 29/01/04 12:09 PM
Ozzielee

If you are on an ADSL connection /localinfo -u and -h should get different IP addresses in almost all cases. Because most ADSL modems are in fact special purpose routers, that are conncted to your PC through a LAN connection. And some of them are highly configurable. Maybe something is wrong about the settings of your modem, then refer to its manual or contact the manufacturer for more info.

Which IRC network are you connecting to? Have you tried /dcc sending on other networks to other persons? Please try doing it on a network that doesn't mask your IP/hostname. The receiving user should see a line like this:

Ozzielee DCC Send file.jpg (You IP here)

ask him/her to copy/paste that line to you and compare it to your IP to see if it is correct.

And finally, (although this rarely happens), some ISPs force their users to connect to internet through a proxy and assign the same IP address to multiple users. It has been reported that those users are having difficulties sending files through dcc while they can receive files without a problem.

Good luck.
Posted By: Altcaptor Re: Cant DCC send - 19/02/04 03:15 AM
Thankyou very much. I think that the IP # is incorrect that I have been entering--there is another mIrcnewuser page that lays out the very same steps in ur first reference in ur
message to me (those r the 15 steps tutorial--firewall --set dcc --etc that i mentioned)--i will proceed with the recommendations that u outline--take care--i appreciaate ur time and effort

Posted By: snarkl Re: Cant DCC send - 05/03/04 01:13 AM
I seem to have done everything listed in this thread, including port fowarding, checking dns, etc. I can't get from irc, so
I tried sending a file to myself as a simple test.

The send window pops up, and says "sending request." The get window pops up and says "accepting send" then "connection refused." Send window reports "awaiting reply"

Any suggestions?
Posted By: Cyber_Axe Re: Cant DCC send - 28/03/04 07:10 PM
I have just tried using the windows XP firewall mIRC tutorials but they are way out dated because mIRC no longer has options like that in DCC > Options how can i get mIRC to work in the newer versions?
Posted By: Collective Re: Cant DCC send - 28/03/04 07:16 PM
The port options that were in mIRC Options -> DCC -> Options are now in mIRC Options -> Connect -> Options -> Advanced... (button).
Posted By: LibraMan Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 04/04/04 11:31 PM
Hi, I have optimum online and I have a problem. I can't connect to anyone on mirc with the ports they set. For example, To access an fserve with a specific firewall port I need to enable. I do the command /dccserver +sc on 59(or whatever it might be for that server) and I still cant connect, this problem is with anything that has a router or firewall port I need to access. This is the error I get on Mirc.
DCC Chat session
Client: littlehuntertakescover (130.71.51.152)
Time: Sun Apr 04 17:42:47 2004
Acknowledging chat request...
DCC Chat connection established
DCC session closed
.:5·42·pm:. -littlehuntertakescover- Server Notice: This server is using an alternate server method, please make sure your DCC Server is active and set to port 59. /dccserver +sc on 59. This is a mIRC command.

Mind you this is not an isolated problem, I have it with every fserve with a firewall. I am not using a router. And I am not using a firewall. Can anyone help me. BTW I have Windows XP, and I've disabled the firewall. PLEASE HELP! Thanks Alot.
Posted By: Mentality Re: Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 04/04/04 11:45 PM
It's best not to cross post as it causes confusion, irritation and of course it's not necessary - all posts/threads are read by at least one helper, and 99% of posts get answered smile

I answered your post here. I suggest anyone else reading this thread in the future that has problems with DCC Server also read my post there before posting in this thread or elsewhere smile

If you have further issues, post in your thread LibreMan!

Regards,
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 07/04/04 08:29 PM
I am in the same position as some other users. I connect to the internet via ADSL and a router. My ports are forwarded to the router, and I could send/receive DCCs perfectly until I upgraded the version of mIRC I used. Under mIRC 6.12 and 6.14 I cannot send - or others cannot receive from me. Likewise, I could not receive from 6.12 users when I had 6.0X.

My IP addresses show correctly when I type the /localhost commands.

What happens when I try to send is that, instead of a dialogue box popping up which the recipient can click on to receive, there is a sound and in the status window a line like this appears:

-Wendymr- DCC Send Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.txt (IP deleted)

Any suggestions? I have read through this entire thread and tried those suggested that I could understand, including clearing out the IP details from the localhost box - mIRC then fills them in again.

Thank you!

Wendymr

Edit: Reverting to mIRC 6.03 solved this problem for me, and for several other mIRC users I'm currently on channel with. All of us are now able to send again, and others are able to receive DCC from us where before they couldn't if we were using 6.12 and 6.14. Anyone else with a similar problem - see if you can get v6.03 from somewhere. It works, even if later versions don't!
Posted By: Mentality Re: Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 07/04/04 10:03 PM
"Anyone else with a similar problem - see if you can get v6.03 from somewhere. It works, even if later versions don't!"

I think it's unfair of you to advertise downgrading and making it sound like some wonderful new program heh. v6.03 contains bugs and has less features, as well as being susceptible to a DCC exploit (unless you want to ignore all DCCs which defeats the object of receiving anyway).

Let's also not forget that MANY people have absolutely NO problem with DCC sending or receiving in mIRC 6.14 (me being an example), and those that do often get their issues sorted with help from this board (without having to downgrade). By telling people to downgrade, you undermine our efforts. Downgrading will also cause much more difficulty in getting help due to people automatically assuming users have the latest version - help channels will often simply tell a user to upgrade to 6.14 rather than to help them with an older version.

Therefore, I don't think it's particularly constructive to tell people who have DCC issues to downgrade smile

To people who DO have an issue with DCC in 6.14:
use the Forum Search feature to see if your problem has been covered before. Expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts' and use appropriate search terms. Make sure you read all of this thread too as it contains just about every suggestion possible. If you can't find anything, post a new thread in the appropriate forum (or post in this thread) including your mIRC version, operating system (i.e. Windows 95/98/XP/ME etc), what error message(s) you're receiving, any settings you've changed recently and anything else you think is relevant.

Regards,
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 07/04/04 10:06 PM
Hey, if downgrading is the only solution, then it's the only solution!

I have tried all the options suggested here and in the #mIRC channel. Nothing worked. And since my mIRC always worked perfectly under 6.03, and it now works perfecltly again under 6.03, that says something to me.

As for security problems under 6.03, I have a firewall and other internet security devices.
Posted By: Mentality Re: Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 07/04/04 10:39 PM
I am glad you got your issue sorted smile - However, recommending that to every other browser of this thread is not needed.

Oh, and the DCC exploit affecting 6.03 cannot be blocked by firewalls or any other security devices, it is purely an internal problem with mIRC. The code to exploit people is easily obtainable by anyone on IRC who knows more than half a dozen people and so you're at risk unless you have DCCs on ignore. Otherwise, you may face having your mIRC crashed on a regular basis.

Regards,
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 07/04/04 10:55 PM
-did you try a new d/l and install of 6.14?
-did you double check to be sure that the ports you want are correct in new version of mIRC?
-are you using any scripts/addons that might not be compatible with later versions of mIRC?
-its of course your choice what version of mIRC you use, but be aware that "firewall and other internet security devices" wont protect you from everything. For example, they wouldnt protect you from a dcc exploit that was possible in older versions.

When the majority of ppl dont have any problem dccing with v6.14, that indicates the problem isnt specifically within mIRC as downloaded. the first thing i would try is to d/l a new copy of v6.14 and install it to a clean directory without any scripts and try dcc sending to a friend.
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 07/04/04 11:06 PM
Quote:
-did you try a new d/l and install of 6.14?

Yes.

Quote:
-did you double check to be sure that the ports you want are correct in new version of mIRC?

Yes.

Quote:
-are you using any scripts/addons that might not be compatible with later versions of mIRC?

No.

If 6.14 works for some people, good luck to them. For me, 6.14 just doesn't work. I had exactly the same problem with 6.12 when it first came out and supposedly sorted the security issues with earlier versions. 6.03 does work. End of story, far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 07/04/04 11:33 PM
hrmm, ppl i've helped with that problem it ended up being due to a script/addon being incompatible. since it seems the problem exists with every version after 6.03 for you, it was worth asking you about. wish i could come up with some solution so you'd be able to use the latest version, decidedly annoying when something that should work isnt. if you can web or telnet into your ADSL settings, i imagine you've already looked them over.

you mentioned that some of your friends have the same problem. just out of curiousity is there anything y'all have in common that others might not have? if you dont mind saying, what adsl do you use? i'd like to check dslreports forums just to see if others using it have the same issue.
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 08/04/04 08:48 AM
We're all on different ISPs and even in different countries - I use British Telecom, another friend uses Wanadoo in France and another is on a US ISP - not sure which one. Common problem: none of us could DCC send under 6.1x, but we could once we went back to 6.03.

And we don't use scripts - we basically just hang out on an IRC channel and chat. About all we do other than that is play the occasional wav - all of which work fine - and use stuff in the .ini file (the slap, op, kick commands etc). When we DCC, it's almost always sending Word files to each other - we write fanfiction.

So... <shrug> can't think of anything which gets in the way. frown Thanks for trying to help, though.
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Can't DCC GET Please Help. - 08/04/04 09:17 AM
darn, wish i could help. check back, if i think of anything i'll post it
Posted By: tempestmagi Re: Cant DCC send - 12/04/04 05:01 PM
Does anyone know a fix for the Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-700 tried portforwarding and turning off firewall and still no dcc send frown

Please help!!

windows xp
1 gig ram
2.5 P4
Earthllink DSL
Posted By: Frame Re: Cant DCC send - 02/05/04 05:54 AM
I just want to say that i read this entire Thread, and i had the usual problem with the fact that i am behind a router.

I tried everything PORT Forwarding, checking firewall settings etc etc. IT SHOULD work, i thought.

I then clicked the MISC section of my router and found that DMZ was on and was directed towards my PC LAN IP ADDRES.

I turned it off, and bingo it works.

So my DCC send works because i have

Routed my DCC port range to my PC
Routed my PC as server from my router
Setup my firewall(software) to allow the port range to be passed to my PC.

And finally Turned off DMZ, that was causing me troubles.

I just had DMZ on sinze i have a software Firewall too, and i also play some games on the net with this PC.

I case you wonder what DMZ is, here is a short description.

DMZ Host DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone) Host is a host without the protection of firewall. It allows a computer to be exposed to unrestricted 2-way communication for Internet games, Video conferencing, Internet telephony and other special applications.

Posted By: godde Re: Cant DCC send - 08/05/04 07:50 PM
what if I can DCC Chat but not DCC send? it looks like I have everything right.
Posted By: Mentality Re: Cant DCC send - 08/05/04 08:10 PM
Is it you who is sending the DCC chat request, or the other person? In my experience, if someone can DCC chat they can also DCC Send/Receive.

If you are the one who is DCC sending, but are not the one who is sending the DCC chat request then it's probable that you have DCC issues - try sending a DCC chat request to several other friends and see if they can successfully connect to you.

Regards,
Posted By: ParaBrat Re: Cant DCC send - 08/05/04 09:33 PM
if you can initiate a dcc chat, seems like you should be able to dcc send. have you checked options to see if under other--> lock you have disabled anything? have you or the person on the other end seen any error msgs? have you tried with more than one person?
Posted By: Mentality Re: Cant DCC send - 08/05/04 09:44 PM
Ah yes, Para got me to thinking of something else it could be, make sure you haven't got DCC chat on ignore. In mIRC type /creq ask and it will change the options set in ALT+O > DCC.

G'luck.

Regards,
Posted By: fhy2222 Re: Cant DCC send - 09/06/04 09:44 AM
Gentlemen,
English is not my mother tongue, it is very difficult for me to browse all the posts here. If my question have been asked and answered before, I apologize in advance.
My problem is that I cannot dcc send. I am using XP, ADSL connection. I can get files from other.
I tried lots of different server, like dal, undernet, & etc, no server can find my hostname automatically. In Local Informatio, the host name is blank. There do have an IP address there. If I use /dns that IP numbers, I was prompted : cannot resolve.
This problem have frustrated me for a long time.
Thanks in advance for your help.

fhy
fhy1703@sohu.com
Posted By: Mentality Re: Cant DCC send - 09/06/04 05:20 PM
Try typing /localinfo -u in mIRC and then try to DCC send to someone.

If that does not work, then click here for instructions on how to enable DCC with the XP firewall (or turn it off) - it's in pretty simple English, so shouldn't be too hard, and there are a number of screenshots too.

Regards,
Posted By: fhy2222 Re: Cant DCC send - 10/06/04 08:25 AM
Mentality,
Thanks for your help. but it doesnot work.
/localinfo -U, I get " Local host: unkown (222.76.32.49)
I cannot send files out,
I tried the firewall thing, don't work.
I turned off the firewall, don't work.

I am using ADSL to connect to internet, it is dyanmic IP address,does that matter?

Thanks.

fhy
Posted By: letterkills Re: Cant DCC send - 13/07/04 01:21 PM
OK.....Im not good with computers.....but I have been able to figure this out so far. I have received files with IRC several times.....but recently I have been getting this message a lot........ You have a DCC pending, Set your client to receive the transfer. (90 seconds remaining until timeout) I have tried the /DCCALLOW stuff and that doesnt work......I can accept other things most of the time.....but sometimes it wont let me get stuff and I get this message......I dont know what to do.....thanks
Posted By: Mentality Re: Cant DCC send - 13/07/04 02:10 PM
There is a sticky thread not far below this one entitled 'DCC Pending' wink

That is not an mIRC message it's an FServe message. It is not your fault you're receiving that message, see that thread for more info.

If you're getting mp3s/movies/software or other warez with mIRC please stop, it's illegal and not what mIRC is intended for smile

Regards,
Posted By: Sirona Re: Cant DCC send - 20/07/04 12:00 PM
Up until a few days ago, DCC Send was working without any problems. Then suddenly after an interruption in the send (the receiving party was disconnected), DCC Send fails to work with anyone. I have tried everything that was suggested, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
Posted By: Koleion Re: Cant DCC send - 27/07/04 09:57 PM
Hello i have read most of this post. but i cant seem to figure out whats up with my dcc send. I can chat, and get files, but i cant send and no one can get to my fserv. I have a linksys router and win2k. all the ports are open. It seems to only be the rizon server that i cant dcc send on. i am not sure if there are others that will not work but i know it has worked on a nother server i use. But they all moved to this one. whenever i try and send i get "DCC Send to Rizon-29F3010C.se.client2.attbi.com incomplete (connection failed)". I dont know if it is pointing to the server and not the person or what, but i can figure this out. please help. thanks for all the help.

koleion
Posted By: 1997_GA16DE Re: Cant DCC send - 02/08/04 06:29 PM
ok, I got the new v6.16 of MIRC and I am trying to forward the ports on my router so that I can send DCC files. I have no trouble receiving and there is no trouble sending when I'm off the router.

I currently have the following ports forwarded:
1024-1045

Now for some reason, I can't look up the dcc port range under Options > DCC > Options like in previous versions of mIRC, so the 1024-1045 is just a guess, I have no idea what ports the DCC is using so I don't know what ports to forward.
Posted By: wiebe Re: Cant DCC send - 02/08/04 07:35 PM
it is moved in 6.16, see in mirc options > connect > options > advanced...
Posted By: 1997_GA16DE Re: Cant DCC send - 02/08/04 07:57 PM
thanks
Posted By: AsHBoY Re: Cant DCC send - 03/08/04 10:21 AM
well i got a problem with my dcc too on windows
but i cant really configure it out what to do...
got the same problem like this guy:

https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...amp;amp;fpart=1

but cant anyone tell me step by step how to fix this...
or give me a PM and u can look into my computer or something...

greetingsss
Posted By: dmoney2384152004 Re: Cant DCC send - 03/08/04 03:58 PM
Hi, I am also having a dcc send problem.

I am running Win2k so I don't have to worry about firewall.

I have a linksys router with
1024-5000
ports forwarded to my local ip address

server is enabled, it will start to send but just timeout just want to know if there are any other suggestions

Thank you
Posted By: poubapub Re: Cant DCC get - 06/08/04 01:46 PM
Hi,

I am behind my company firewall. I cannot connect directly to irc because only HTTP is opened.

I can connect to irc and chat using a tunneling proxy server that tunnels socks into http (desproxy).

Unfortunately DCC get doesn't work. Is there a way I could get it running ?

Thank you in advance for your advices
Posted By: Mentality Re: Cant DCC get - 06/08/04 02:26 PM
You will need to speak to the appropriate people at your work-place, like the IT Administrator or whoever is in charge of the network and see if they can help you. Ports for DCC can be set in ALT+O > Connect > Options > [Advanced...]. Default ports are 1024-5000. You can set ports higher or lower than that if you wish. You need at least 2 ports for every DCC connection you wish to make.

If you're not allowed to set up DCC at your work then we cannot and will not help you. It would be bad if you ended up infecting your work's network with a virus or trojan, possibly very damaging to the company you work for, and if you evaded their rules in the process, it's quite possible it will cost you your job. Hardly worth it!

Regards,
Posted By: cntry_junkie Re: Cant DCC send using Winroute - 31/08/04 07:13 AM
Hello guys!
Now i have a small pc with winME and Winroute installed and im using it as router, but i cant dcc send crazyi've set in winroute's port mapping ports first 1024-5000 then 1050-1060, did the same in mirc port range too, but no luck.in winroute my destination ip is my personal pc ip, it has listen ip too which i left <unspecified>.winroute uses NAT and no proxy settings plus i use omenserv in mirc and tested with dcc server and without but no luck confusedHELPPPp!! I use local host and server option in local info tooo mad
Posted By: shortic Re: Cant DCC send using Winroute - 01/09/04 01:32 PM
have read the whole thread and also some others but i've still the problem that i can't send dcc's

netgear mr314 (wireless)
winxp prof
mirc 6.14
port range for dcc 1030-1040
forwarded ports: 1030-1040, 113, 6660-6669

i've no idea how to solve this prob
plz help me
Posted By: benjaminsisko Re: Cant DCC send - 07/09/04 02:20 PM
ok i have followed all the info in this thread, set the dcc ports in mirc, forwarded the ports in my router, but still cannot dcc send/chat/resume. when i try the recieving nick gets a DCC Send Rejected (Invalid Parameters) error, if i connect to the irc server on port 7000 all dcc's work fine however not all irc servers accept connections on port 7000. it has been suggested that my router (Binatone 2100 4 Port Adsl) is inspecting/altering the packets being sent in the dcc request. if anyone i can help me fix this i would be very grateful. thanx
Posted By: mindcrash Re: Cant DCC send - 08/09/04 03:14 PM
I also cannot use DCC with mIRC, the funny thing is, DCC works perfectly with Visual IRC. I have followed all of the directions to setup DCC but i only get connection refused, I even tried turning off my windows firewall completely, but no change.

This seems to be a widespread issue., anyone have any new insights?
Posted By: Spottedkitty Cant DCC send with SP2 - 17/09/04 11:24 PM
Hi there,

I hope this is the right place to put this.

I have been having trouble with mIRC and DCC ever since I installed Service Pack 2 on XP and I can't figure out what's causing it.

We currently use a D-Link 614+ router which I've set up so that mIRC is using ports 4011-4015. Before SP2 was installed I was able to both send and receive DCCs without an issue. Since installing SP2 I can receive DCCs but cannot send. I have added mIRC to the Exceptions list in the Windows firewall and even tried switching the firewall off completely however the problem remains. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could bec ausing mIRC/Windows Firewall to block DCC sends?

Thanks!
Posted By: Jae Re: Cant DCC send - 27/09/04 09:54 PM
Well i dont seem to be able to dcc send.. but the problem is when i try doing a send.. The modem just locks up and stops functioning. mIRC seems to be the only thing that does this. When i got the modem it seemed to work fine. But the last month or so it just locks up. Any help would be good.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Posted By: xeroxx Re: Cant DCC send - 29/09/04 11:43 PM
i can send dcc, resume, chat.. everything works BUT...

if i send a file with spaces in the name... mirc locks my modem as it happens with Jae and i have to turn it off/on...

i can use "fill spaces" and the problem remains

with xchat, msn, icq etc there is NO problem.. only with MIRC

now im using mirc 6.16 but with other version i had the same problem.

MODEM
Model: Viking
H/W Version: 81001a
S/W Version: VIK-1.190404
Serial Number: 834575
Posted By: Tape Re: Cant DCC send - 03/10/04 02:03 AM
My problem's a bit different.. people can connect (dcc chat) to my fserv without turning off hostmasks or /dccallow'ing ports or anything, but when they request a file, it doesn't send and a timeout occurs. Then the automatic resend does its thing and the file sends successfully.. so basically first try sends don't work, but the resend does. What the heck, and why?

I have mirc's dcc ports set on 1024-1025, and I have 113, 6667, and 1024-1025 forwarded to my computer on my router settings. EVERY TIME it sends successfully on resends but not on the initial send.. really weird. Thanks in advance..
Posted By: xeroxx Re: Cant DCC send - 03/10/04 10:09 AM
try to forward more ports... it should work...
Posted By: Tape Re: Cant DCC send - 03/10/04 07:34 PM
How many do you recommend? I thought someone said to just set it to two consecutive ports and it should be ok..?

And what causes it to not work the first try but always on the second (resend)? I mean, if I had the wrong ports opened it shouldn't work at all, I think confused
Posted By: GirlSeven Re: Cant DCC send - 04/10/04 09:25 PM
I cant DCC send and Ive tried everyting to solve it but havent found a solution. I can accept but Im unable to send. I have dsl but I would have this same problem while on dial up as well. Im trying to set up an XDCC or FServe and would like to get any idea on what could be causing this.

Ive checked all of my DCC options and internet connection options. I also checked my IP and it matches. My ISP has told me it has no routers or anything else that can be inhibiting my sends. I tried to send a file to myself and it tells me it can not resolve my local host.

Any ideas are welcomed.
Posted By: Solarin Re: Cant DCC send - 09/10/04 02:09 AM
I am behind two routers (one wireless and one ethernet). I have port forwarding working for other applications.

I can receive fine and ensured that I have the same DCC ports open (4985-5000) in mirc as on the routers.

I'm using SMC Barricade Routers with the latest firmware.

debug info on both sides:

Sender:
-> aserver.org NOTICE someuser laughCC Send somefile.txt (IP Deleted)
-> aserver.org PRIVMSG someuser :DCC SEND somefile.txt 1123384311 4985 442

Receiver:
<- :Sender!Sender@somehost.mindspring.com NOTICE someuser laughCC Send somefile.txt (IP Deleted)
<- :Sender!Sender@somehost.mindspring.com PRIVMSG someuser :DCC SEND somefile.txt 1123384311 64456 442

Notice the port change from 4985 to 64456. This is obviously happening when the DCC send request leaves my network to the outside world. How can I stop this from happening? I know the same will occur with Resumes.
Posted By: iron_grip Re: Cant DCC send - 09/10/04 12:57 PM
Few Probs relating to dcc send and dcc chat

Allright i have fowarded my ports (on router) and just thought that maybe this has something to do with it:
When ever i try and connect to a server and it looks up your hostname and ident it can never look up my hostname and i dont get an ident response.

I have also tried /localinfo -u and gotten Local host: unknown (ip address here)

Also when i check up on my dns it allways comes up with "dns unable to resolve (ip address here) and i think this has something to do with not being able to dcc send etc.

BTW i have read through this whole post, i have a firewall i have tried disabling it doesn't help, fowarded ports etc
Posted By: mbiesheuvel Re: Cant DCC send - 28/10/04 09:07 AM
Hello I have a Sweex annex-a adsl modem router. But with this router I can connect with port 6667 but can't resume from it...

When I am using port 6669 it works perfect.

I've tried to forward port 6667 in my router but that doens't help. Also turning the firewall off doens't help and turning DMZ on doesn't help either...

I'm really stuck now... Can someone please tell me what i can/must do to be able to resume from 6667??

thanking in advance...
Posted By: horsie Re: Cant DCC send - 18/11/04 10:51 PM
I can DCC send for a time, but after a while (a random number of transfers) it starts timing out.

I don't have this problem with WinMX, so it's not my router configuration.

When will mIRC be fixed? How is mIRC TCP/IP done differently to specialised file sharing programs? Hoping you'll fix this soon... maybe after version 18.7092?
Posted By: Antares Re: Cant DCC send - 19/11/04 03:40 AM
Yea I'm having kind of the same problem. Stupid Service Pack 2...Is there anyway to uninstall it? I hope a new version of IRC will fix this problem.
Posted By: Mentality Re: Cant DCC send - 19/11/04 06:54 AM
It isn't necessarily related to SP2, however, information on uninstalling SP2 can be found here. Not recommended though.

horsie: WinMX is designed for file trading, mIRC isn't. mIRC is a chat program. If you choose to mass file share then expect issues, because mIRC/DCC is not optimised for such a purpose.

Regards,
Posted By: Antares Re: Cant DCC send - 19/11/04 09:44 PM
Well then what would be the problem?
Posted By: Jae Re: Cant DCC send - 24/11/04 04:23 PM
Just curious to revisit this post.. and to wonder if anyone ever worked out why sending any form of DCC out would cause my modem to freeze up?
Posted By: Scubabix Re: Cant DCC send - D-Link systems - 26/11/04 06:17 AM
go to dlink.com
click on support
enter mirc in the search box
it then gives step-by-step for configuring mirc and your router

Hope this helps
Posted By: Antares Re: Cant DCC send - D-Link systems - 26/11/04 07:13 PM
I don't have a router and I still have the problem. Are you guys sure it's not SP2?
Posted By: horsie Re: Cant DCC send - 27/11/04 05:40 AM
Quote:
It isn't necessarily related to SP2, however, information on uninstalling SP2 can be found here. Not recommended though.

horsie: WinMX is designed for file trading, mIRC isn't. mIRC is a chat program. If you choose to mass file share then expect issues, because mIRC/DCC is not optimised for such a purpose.

Rght, I don't have SP2 so that's not an issue for me...

I understand the difference between mIRC and WinMX. But if mIRC supports transfers over the internet ('DCC') then it should be implemented properly.

As it is I have to restart mIRC to get transfers working again, once they start timing out.
Posted By: horsie Re: Cant DCC send - D-Link systems - 27/11/04 05:45 AM
Quote:
I don't have a router and I still have the problem. Are you guys sure it's not SP2?

Evidence suggests that, at least sometimes, it is mIRC causing problems. That's not to say that those other things also cause problems too.
Posted By: Antares Re: Cant DCC send - D-Link systems - 27/11/04 09:42 PM
When will there be an upgrade for mIRC and will it fix this problem?
Posted By: dragonlord Re: Cant DCC send - D-Link systems - 19/12/04 06:51 PM
Hi,

I have almost read anything in this thread to get a dcc send work. Followed all links that where usefull tried them out still no succes...asked around 10 irc experts in several channels 2 help me with the problem still no succes.

stats:

i'm using mirc v6.16
smc 2804WBR router
cable connection

I have all ports forwarded that needs to, i set all needed settings in irc as they should be:
localinfo: on connect, always get (*) |localhost|
lookup method: (*) |Server|. ports are set as: 54000-54019 forwarded them in my router.

Still nothing works, i'm trying to get this all working since yesterday evening. dcc chat/sends to me work but not the other way around...anybody got suggestions?

-EdiT- Never Mind my question....i got like all crazy in my router and search for several things so i just put up my firewall and setup dmz (why didn't i thought of that sooner confused) and it worked... laugh -
Posted By: 21Forever Re: Cant DCC send - D-Link systems - 26/12/04 03:01 AM
I had the same problem with my Cisco DSL router. Turns out that I had to update the IOS to the latest version, I was two or more versions out of date. Once done, the port mappings recommended throughout this thread works as advertised.
Posted By: geoffo Re: Cant DCC send - 15/02/05 06:52 PM
ok
im on a xp - dsl
i was using a router - not now (i took it out of the router and have it going from modem to the computer )

my ip's look to be the same : irc and client
irc options seem to be set ok - firewall clicked off
local host - server method

but it still wont dcc send frown
Posted By: stubsfeld Re: Cant DCC send - D-Link systems - 21/02/05 04:42 PM
Can you please explain that once again cause i'm having the same problem
Posted By: Phant0m Re: Cant DCC send - D-Link systems - 21/02/05 05:10 PM
There is a design flaw for D-Link 704P Models, and by the looks of things, I believe it isn't specific to that model...

https://forums.mirc.com/s...p;page=0#116670

Quote:
Can you please explain that once again cause i'm having the same problem
Posted By: C45P3R Re: Cant DCC send - 23/02/05 04:48 AM
I haven't seen this posted but I found another cause of DCC Sends not working. If in ports range for connections you have others checked it will use up your ports for just connecting to servers. And if your on more servers then ports in your range well... sends will get a random port. So if anyone is having problems with sends not working with a router and you have it configured proper check to see if you have others checked in the port range options...
Posted By: LuNgCeiN Re: Cant DCC send - 09/06/05 06:55 PM
I have the D-Link 704P Router and my problem is that I can't resume any send that I make, I've read almost all the post and recomendations that are here but still I'm not sure if the problem is within the mirc or the router and if there's a way to fix it...
Posted By: snot Re: Cant DCC send - 16/06/05 06:37 PM
Hi there,

I am trying to dcc send, but it does not work out as it should. When debugging, the dcc send looked like this:

-> irc.server.net PRIVMSG mike :DCC SEND 20_Fav_Bands.txt 334

Note how it's missing some stuff. (Encrypted IP/PORT or something).

I am behind a router and have tried to forward the ports. /localinfo -u shows my real hostname/ip. So no problems there, I assume.

What could be causing this?

Thanks
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Cant DCC send - 16/06/05 07:22 PM
How are you trying to send? I'm not sure why you're getting a PRIVMSG thing for a DCC Send....
Posted By: snot Re: Cant DCC send - 16/06/05 07:54 PM
It's from /debug - DCC's are sent by PRIVMSG - since they're a CTCP, which is also sent by PRIVMSG with the $chr(1) block.

That's what happens when you /dcc send nick file
Posted By: Semideus Re: Cant DCC send - 26/09/05 04:23 AM
Yet another unable to DCC Send post to add to the bunch =( I can't find a resolution to help me out of all these posts.

I can DCC Receive, DCC Chat, but cannot DCC Send. I am using the following setup:

mIRC 6.16 Registered Version
DSL Connection (Earthlink)
Additional Scripts: OmenServ version 2.52

Windows XP Home SP1 (Windows Firewall disabled)
-- Windows Firewall not enabled on LAN connection
-- Using ZoneAlarm, gave mIRC Access/Server permissions and enabled advanced program control to use other programs

Network Anywhere NR041 Router
-- Setup as a DMZ
-- Able to host internet multiplayer games
-- haven't tried bypassing router (cat5 cable too short! frown)

mIRC Options (detects right external IP)

Connect > Options:
Default Port 6667
DCC Checked in Advanced; Range is 1024-7895

Connect > Local Info:
Local Host, IP Address - correct
Local Host checked, IP Address Checked
Lookup Method Server

DCC > Server:
DCC Enabled
Listens on Port 59
Send, Chat, FServe checked
Perform DNS lookup unchecked

Please respond, can give IM or email information on request. Additional information can be provided as well. This is bugging the &@*@ out of me. confused I've tried using a backup version of mIRC from my D:\ partition without script loaded, no dice. Haven't bypassed router yet, but I have it setup as DMZ, so figuring it's either a stupid mIRC setting or DSL issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: T1modem Re: Cant DCC send - 29/09/05 05:27 AM
Here's my problem:

I've read all the posts on this and related threads. DCC still not working. I'm running DSL, nothing firewalled, ports are forwarded... but I still get something interesting. Upon connecting to a network, mIRC finds my external IP correctly (66.*.*.*). However, when I try to DCC send/chat, it's initiated with my WAN/DSL IP (172.*.*.*)... I've tried to configure the NAT and it's opened up 2-way communication finally. But mIRC still isn't picking it up. I'm currently playing with the IP Route Table configuration in my DSL modem's integrated router (192.*.*.*).

If anyone has any comments or advice, please let me know. I'm running all latest software, firmware updated, using Broadmax router, JUST found the user manual online finally (despite vendor's website is down) but still proving to be of no help.

-Thanks!
Posted By: CtrlAltDel Re: Cant DCC send - 30/09/05 10:59 PM
Options >> connect >> localinfo .. check Localhost and server
Posted By: T1modem Re: Cant DCC send - 12/10/05 06:02 PM
check for what? i've done already checked all that... i haven't found a combination that works yet... if anyone's using DSL and can dcc send... let me know what mirc settings you have. thanks
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Cant DCC send - 12/10/05 08:23 PM
He meant to make sure you have those two checked. laugh

Server instead of Normal and Local Host instead of IP.

Though, for some reason, my computer decided suddenly to no longer send anything when using Server... I'm not sure why. I just started getting complaints that our rules file wasn't being sent anymore. After testing, I found that Server didn't work anymore and I had to use Normal. frown
Posted By: T1modem Re: Cant DCC send - 12/10/05 08:30 PM
oh yeah, i have localhost and server checked... still no dice. i'm at a loss as to what route to take from here... it's really frustrating. even my isp can't figure out what the problem is
Posted By: just_in_case Re: Cant DCC send - 30/10/05 09:34 AM
I still could not send after all the dcc and ident port setting in the router and a dozen other configurations. I read masses of help pages and talked to dozens of ops in a multitude of help channels. In the end, just connecting to IRC servers via port 6666 instead of 6667 resolved all problems. (NetComm NB1300 ADLS Router).

If anyone has an explanation for this I'd be interested to know.
Posted By: tantrumchild Re: Cant DCC send - 11/11/05 06:43 AM
Since I cant find out how to make a new post without replying to someone else, I must do it this way. Anyway, moving onto my question.

Been having trouble with sending. I've read forums, help files on both OS and mIRC and the works, can't find my own related problem. I know if I cant establish a dcc chat then i wont be able to send period. When I let mIRC configure my own IP Address, it comes up with what it does but nothing was working, even having the Localhost checked and Server marked. Opened up AIM and right clicked > insert > IP Address and got a completely different ip. So I tried that IP in the IP address and tried to establish a dcc chat. I was able to successfully do so with myself. I tried to send a file to myself, and I could.

Problem arises now that I cant send to other people. Under DCC Server options in mIRC, I have Enable DCC Server checked and Perform DNS lookup and it's listening to port 6667. Under Connection Options, Default Port is 6667. No firewall is set up. Suggestions?
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Cant DCC send - 11/11/05 03:53 PM
Sounds like a router problem. If you have a router, go to http://www.portforward.com/ and set it up properly.

Also, to post, there is a POST link in the top/right of the forum.
Posted By: T1modem Re: Cant DCC send - 17/11/05 02:44 PM
see wtf??

when i //echo $ip i get 172.16.0.17 but when i dns myself i get 66.28.244.138 but when i try to send i send with 172.27.2.211 (this is all within mirc) I can't get mirc to recognize ONE IP, no matter what configuration i try... any suggestions?
Posted By: Mentality Re: Cant DCC send - 17/11/05 04:29 PM
Have you tried typing /localinfo -u and then sending, as is suggested in the first post of this thread? That usually works if the IPs are different.

Regards,
Posted By: T1modem Re: Cant DCC send - 18/11/05 12:17 AM
i've tried /localinfo -u and -h and every other letter... unfortunately, mirc doesn't want to cooperate. i'm at a loss as to what route to take from here...
Posted By: Ruskie Re: Cant DCC send - 05/01/06 10:50 PM
Hi all

i'm on dsl behind a router, using zone alrarm pro firewall. Running windows XP SP2

i've forwarded the ports that i specified for dcc
local info also returns my external IP. and everything i've managed to take in from previous posts here seems to be in place

I can recieve dcc's but not send and the error i get is: Invalid parameters

pls could someone help me resolve this
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 06/01/06 07:49 AM
You have a crappy router, ditch it and get something good like a linksys, one that doesnt try and alter the dcc send messages on the fly. I bet its a dlink, burn dlink burn!

PS: your router is being way to clever for itself, and is altering what port you use for dcc on the WAN side of the router becuase it thinks it should and it knows best, I doubt you can fix its smarmy beleive that it knows best, besides with several blows of a hammer, which is likely to do other unrecoverable damage to it, while your teaching it whoes boss.

PSS : was it a dlink?
Posted By: Ruskie Re: Cant DCC send - 06/01/06 12:13 PM
lol

nah its a Marconi 4 port router.... just as bad

thx for the help
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 06/01/06 09:11 PM
heres how to actually test if your router is altering the message.

Start 2 copies of the client up and attach to the same irc server (it can be done with one but i dont care!)

On both copies dont be in any channels (this is to reduce the clutter of stuff you well be looking at)

On both copies type in /DEBUG @DEBUG
(this window well show you all traffic sent to and from the client to the server)

now on copy ONE attempt to DCC SEND to the second copy

On client ONE you well see a message with this text in it "DCC SEND <filename> <number> <number> <number>"
On client TWO you should normally see the same thing coming in, if the router has altered it the middle number well have changed, if the router altered it real badly you might have anything after the filename.
* do not confuse this with the NOTICE message mirc also sends (which normally well be sent fine regardless)
Posted By: Ruskie Re: Cant DCC send - 06/01/06 11:22 PM
yeah i tried it... recieving client only gives the last number.. leaves out the first 2 smirk
/me pwns his router
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 07/01/06 07:38 AM
you could email your router company and ask them how to turn off the stuffed up function of the router, but i give ya 3 to 1 odds who ever you talk to wont know jack about it OR well swear black and blue that it doesnt do that.
Posted By: Ruskie Re: Cant DCC send - 07/01/06 10:38 AM
Its not even worth talking to someone here in south africa.. smirk
i'll save up and invest in a decent router :P
Posted By: DzIE Re: Cant DCC send - 12/02/06 12:33 AM
hello,

i can recieve files fine, from most ppl.
however i cannot send!
i have win2k (legal and fully updated to the latest service pack)
got mirc 6.16
got 2 pcs (win2k fully updated installed on both) :

pc#1 Inet pc
----------------
is connected to Cable connection, but in order to connect gotta use the windows dialup (that cloud icon)
this inet connection has sharing enabled. (file and printer sharing disabled ofcouse smile

pc#2 - bro's room pc
--------------------------
is connected to pc#1 via a simple ethernet Switch
(Edimax ES-3108P) (laptop +another pc are sometimes connected and also nice for lans)

To open certain specifc ports (emule,ftps,whatever)
I have to press on the dialup (pc#1-inet)
press on Properties--->Sharing--->Settings-->Services-->

under services,I press Add ,type some name,the specifc port i want opened,and at the end- pc#2's lan ip (192.168.0.23).

my question is, with this kind of network setup, How can i open the nessaccery ports for dcc send/recieve (some fservers request setting port+59 or something.. and from those i cannot recieve) and what are the ports needed to be open?

I have tried typing 1024-5000 under services-->add
but it only allows specific ports (max 5digit numbers)
i do not wanna type in each port from 1024,1025,1026,....5000 into services... it will take days! :>

Also i was wondering if its possiable to only open 1024-1050 for example,is that good enough for dcc send?
(I dont like having so many ports open)
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 12/02/06 02:12 AM
ICS sucks u should get your self a router and put it in between the lan and the cable modem, in fact moust routers have multiple ports for lan so are actually lan hub/switches as well, so you kill 2 birds with one stone.

Anyway, go into mirc and click tool/options/connect/options/advanced, then set your mirc dcc ports to something a bit more realistic than 1024-5000, like 1050-1059 (example only i dont knwo what else might want them, i uses 8000+ myself), then goto PC1 and service (forward) them ports to pc2, and if u can be shagged service port 59 and/or 6060 as well. and if u do 59 or 6060 in mirc click tools/options/dcc/server enable it set the port and if u want chat send and or fserver listening (dont do fserver inless u have one eh?)

And lastely id like to mention ICS sucks, oh did i say that before? well it does.
Posted By: DzIE Re: Cant DCC send - 12/02/06 01:25 PM
first of all thx :>

1. now, what is ICS?

2. Router: problem with getting a router,is im not sure how to setup the "dialup" connection to my isp (again i'll remind ive got cable modem,Israel,isp is 012net ). there are different options isp requires for cable connex (vpn,pptp,lptp and all those things...that are in the whole "dialup" thing)

3. i forward ports 59 and 6060,however in the options/dcc/server
i only have Listen on Port: 59
cant add 6060
so what to do?

4. when u say 1050-1059 (for example) u mean i should add each port manualy? (services) 1050,1051,1052,1053....1058,1059 ?
Posted By: RusselB Re: Cant DCC send - 12/02/06 09:03 PM
1) ICS : Internet Connection Sharing

2) Router would resolve that situation completely, since your computers are connected to the router via ethernet cable or wireless (depending on the type of router and what you have for hardware on the computers for the connection.)
Since you're already using ICS, then you already have what is required for a wired router, with the exception of the router itself.
Most companies that make routers have good to excellent customer service, and there's also this site which has a lot of configuration information for multiple types of routers.

3) Sorry, can't help with that one.

4) Go to mIRC Options - Connect - Options - Advanced
Ensure that DCC is checked
Set the number in the box marked First to 1050
Set the number in the box marked Last to 1059
(Using the example port numbers)
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 13/02/06 03:02 AM
1 & 2 answered well by Russel

3) you can forward ports 59 and/or 6060, but u can only set the dcc/server up to listen on 59 OR 6060

4) yes each port manually, a whole 10 to do, is a lot less than 1024-5000 being 3977 which might take a while to enter.
Posted By: RusselB Re: Cant DCC send - 13/02/06 04:04 AM
I speak from experience, having used ICS for about 3 months until I found a router that I liked and could afford.
Posted By: DzIE Re: Cant DCC send - 13/02/06 07:14 AM
thanks again for the help guys

/me goes looking for a router...

question- with a router,is it safe to enable file sharing?
(i know when file sharing is enabled,windows opens a certain port which allows easy access from outside users usualy !)
Posted By: RusselB Re: Cant DCC send - 13/02/06 08:07 AM
Well, the safest way to share files between two computers is to copy the files to a disk then take the disk to the other computer and copy them from the disk to the 2nd computer.

Next to that, using a router, (to my knowledge) is the next safest route, since you can use the settings on the router to only allow access to the files from one specific address.

When you connect via a router, each computer on the network is given a different address. This can be overridden and a specific address for a computer can be used. This is called a static address. If you set static addresses on both computers, then you can configure the router to only allow access to files if the address matches.

That's the simple version. A more detailed and complicated version of how to do it would depend on the type (wired or wireless), make & model of the router.
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 13/02/06 11:51 AM
if u mean windows file sharing, then yeah sure, who cares your behind a router, its blocking that port from the internet (unless u opened it, now that would be crazy)

PS: if your using any NT u also have file permissions to protect yourself.
Posted By: drb46 Re: Cant DCC send - 18/02/06 07:02 PM
I have followed the directions at the dlink site for configuring their router to use mirc. My question is where do you get the correct ip number to enter when the directions say: "Enter the IP address of the computer you are running mirc from." From typing ipconfig? From typing What is my IP in the browser? Because both are different.

Thanks.
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 18/02/06 10:09 PM
from a dos box (start/run/CMD/ok) type IPCONFIG

or from mirc itself type these commands with 2 seconds between each one
//localinfo -h
//echo ip is $ip
//localinfo -u

PS: if you end up being able to send but not resume files, try chaning the IRC server port to 7000, dlinks have some built in port remapping for dcc but itrs not very good, chaning irc server ports to 7000 disables this remapping, leavinbg it to u and your router settings.
Posted By: drb46 Re: Cant DCC send - 18/02/06 11:10 PM
Quote:
from a dos box (start/run/CMD/ok) type IPCONFIG

or from mirc itself type these commands with 2 seconds between each one
//localinfo -h
//echo ip is $ip
//localinfo -u

PS: if you end up being able to send but not resume files, try chaning the IRC server port to 7000, dlinks have some built in port remapping for dcc but itrs not very good, chaning irc server ports to 7000 disables this remapping, leavinbg it to u and your router settings.

Thanks for the reply,
Here's what I get:

//localinfo -h [17:00] Local host: drb-b7bc797ee04 (192.168.0.103)
-
//echo ip is $ip ip is 192.168.0.103
//localinfo -u Local host: 70-169-105-223-wip.wcht.ks.pixius.net (70.169.105.223)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\drb>cd\

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.103
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

whatismyip gives: Your IP Is 70.169.105.223

So must I have a static IP for this thing to work?

Thanks a lot.
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 19/02/06 01:03 AM
You need to understand that in laymans terms your pc has 2 IPs, one its Internet IP (WAN) 70.169.105.223 [this may or maynot be static depends on your isp], the second is its local pc IP (LAN) 196.168.0.103 [this looks to me to be dynamic however its quite simple to set a static one]

The IP you are requested to enter was the IP the echo showed you 192.168.0.103, this is telling the router which PC to send stuff to, when stuff is sent to the WAN ip, its "Routing" stuff from WAN to LAN ip's thus its name router.
Posted By: drb46 Re: Cant DCC send - 19/02/06 01:40 AM
I set the ip address to 196.168.0.1 in the router, but it won't send. It is a dynamic one I think DHCP is enabled. Do I need a static IP?
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 19/02/06 06:01 AM
Quote:
I set the ip address to 196.168.0.1 in the router, but it won't send. It is a dynamic one I think DHCP is enabled. Do I need a static IP?

WHY but WHY did you set the IP to 192.168.0.1 when i just told you it was 192.168.0.103?

PS: you dont need a static ip, it might be best, and you set that in the pc, try www.portforward.com for help on setting that.
Posted By: YoYoost Re: Cant DCC send - 19/03/06 09:42 PM
DCC send doesnt work with me either...
I've set my router up the way the first post says:
udp 113
tcp/udp 59,6667,54000-54019
I've configured mIRC also the right way:
max dcc sends 20
ports 54000-54019
enabled dcc server
I still can only accept DCC's and cant send. What am I doing wrong?
I even reinstalled mIRC!
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 20/03/06 10:31 AM
Try this, connect to the IRC server using port 7000 instead of 6667, see if it works then.
If it does so, its becuase your router was trying to "intellegently" deal with IRC DCC on port 6667, and well just isnt that overly intellegent.
If it doesnt work, check if u have those ports open in the firewall.
Posted By: YoYoost Re: Cant DCC send - 20/03/06 04:37 PM
Hmm my server doesn't support port no 7000 but i tried 6669 and that didn't help either... I also tried dcc sending with another program and that didn't work so I guess it's my modem, or is it maybe a windows/services problem? Because I am very certain I opened those ports in me router. I even reset it!
BTW I use a Alcatel Speedtouch 546(i) wich is pretty new...
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 20/03/06 08:14 PM
I wrote in another thread how to monitor your dcc sends and show what ports they are using.
I suggest you use this and dcc send to yourself, see if the sent data matches the returning data (which it should). If changed its likely your router did it.
Posted By: YoYoost Re: Cant DCC send - 21/03/06 05:29 PM
Hmm I think I just fixed it! I reset my modem and did a reboot and it worked... I tried this yesterday too, but ah well it works
Posted By: KaOSoFt Re: Cant DCC send - 28/03/06 02:47 AM
Quote:
Check for an ip mismatch by typing /dns yournickhere and then typing //say $ip and compare the two. If they arent the same, type /localinfo -u and then try to DCC send.

Thanks A LOT. This just paragraph solved almost 3 years of ignorance and 'messing stuff up'.

Really, thank you a lot. I think this should be included in mIRC's options (somehow). Thanks again for your great support.
Posted By: Igor_K Re: Cant DCC send - 22/06/06 02:33 AM
I'm having problems when trying do send/receive DCC, always I get a message from my antivirus autoprotect saying something about blocking Trojan Horse. I'm using Norton Antivirus.
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 22/06/06 03:08 AM
dont know about reciveing files but if your getting it during sending try this

in mirc press alt-o
connect/options/advanced set dcc first and last ports to say 6001 to 6010

When u send a file mirc tells the reciever what port to come on in on, by default its 1024 to 5000 starting at 1024, this can been seen as a hack attempt by some defence programs and they shut it on down, setting the ports to some random value between 5,000 to 10,000 normally works.
Posted By: eduard0 Re: Cant DCC send - 28/06/06 09:20 PM
For some reason I always get different ips with /dns mynick and //say $ip after restarting mIRC. Are there any disadvantages or reasons not to put /localinfo -u to perform?
Posted By: evolish Re: Cant DCC send - 29/06/06 08:59 AM
I can't think of any dissadvantages or a reason not to do so.

However, i think you can do it get that info without doing /localinfo -u

Try it and you have nothing to lose:
Go to your mIRC options,

alt + o, Connect > Local Info > check [x] local host,
and server.
Posted By: Kitro Re: Cant DCC send - 02/08/06 01:06 AM
Hi i wonder if you could help me.
(i apologize for my english in advance)

as you notice i can't send DCC, already talk to my ISP and they said i'm not firewalled i tried diferent stuff and i can't fixed it, i've tried stuff on the mIRC, Router and Windows, maybe this is my problem
my Internet IP is 207.24x.xxx.xxx
my router say my internet ip is 10.3x.xxx.xxx
and i still have mi LAN ip 192.168.xxx.xxx

i will aprecciate any kind of help
Posted By: RusselB Re: Cant DCC send - 02/08/06 02:44 AM
Your ISP may not be firewalling you, but Windows XP comes with it's own built in firewall. You should ensure that it's not blocking you.
Also, your router might have it's own firewall, in which case that would also have to be configured. An excellent site for getting help configuring routers is Portforward.com
Posted By: Kitro Re: Cant DCC send - 03/08/06 01:53 AM
already done that
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 05/08/06 09:58 AM
You have two routers. likely you have DSL (most dsl modems are routers)

Internet----207.24x.xxx.xxx----router1----10.3x.xxx.xxx----router2----192.168.xxx.xxx----pc

You can do several things
(1) Dump the router2, plug into the router1 (if its got ports free)
(2) Take the cable from router1 to router2 and plug it into the LAN side of router2, and disable dhcp on router2, as router1 well do it, (router2 becomes a hub/switch)
(3) look in router2 status screen, near where you see it says its internet ip is 10.3x.xxx.xxx and find its GATEWAY, this is the IP of router1, you must forward needed ports from router1 to router2 and from there to the pc. (if everything is behind router2, then u could DMZ router1 to router2's ip)

Ps; be aware that both ranges 10.?.?.? & 192.168.?.? are LAN ip ranges and dont appear on the internet, they are reserved for your lan, my lan and dat guy over theres lan. in other words we can all use them becuase they arent anywhere but in our own lan.
Posted By: Dlaxer Re: Cant DCC send - 15/08/06 07:39 PM
OK, guys.
I have the same problem with the DCC Send, but I know for sure that in my case the reason is that the ISP closed all DCC sending ports on input (2070-2075 or any other range).
In my case the ISP refuses to open any ports I request so my question is - is there any other way to solve this problem (some tricks, emulations, playing with settings, etc.)?

Sorry if my question may seem dumb to you, I'm not so experienced in network area.
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 15/08/06 10:28 PM
Yeah dont pay them any money for the service untell they provide the service!. Any ISP here that shut down inbound ports on customers would soon find them selfs with a very minimal customer base.

PS: just tell them you want a range of 20 consecutive ports open from 6001 to 6020 for you to remotely run your pc.

If they say they cant do it, then get a big black marker pen and black out half of the cheque you send them for payment, and see just how far they get with that!
Posted By: FNar Re: Cant DCC send - 16/08/06 03:24 AM
Your ISP closed all ports, 1025-65535? Then you're not getting what you're paying for. Either demand incoming ports or switch providers. All you're getting is the ability to make outgoing connections, which is half of an internet service.
Posted By: Dlaxer Re: Cant DCC send - 16/08/06 07:53 PM
Thanks for the advice, but, unfortunaly, I have only one provider at my location (the only alternative is a modem), so I really don't have any choise (and my ISP says - we can open ports if you switch on more expensive tariff. Like mafia...) Sorry for the offtop.
Posted By: FNar Re: Cant DCC send - 17/08/06 01:35 AM
Definitely sounds as if this isn't in the US. You have my sympathies, not that it'll help you any.
Posted By: uNeeK Re: Cant DCC send - 03/09/06 05:06 AM
Please help me out..

i try to request a mp3 file to my self ( i open 2 mirc's) with the other mirc script, the result was OK, but when someone request mp3 files from me, my mIRC wouldn't send it to them.. why like this?

right now, im not using any kind of routers or firewall, just my cable modem direct to my pc.

im using port 1024-5000 right now!

do i have to use port 10051-10070 in my mIRC options --> Advanced

Im using ircN 8.00 with psyBNC connection

Thanks
Posted By: DaveC Re: Cant DCC send - 03/09/06 11:57 AM
Just to be sure your not using a router do these commands
/localinfo -h
<wait 5 seconds>
//echo -a $ip (LAN)
<wait 5 seconds>
/localinfo -u
<wait 5 seconds>
//echo -a $ip (WAN)

Now if both those ips remain as your WAN one then you arent for sure. If they change you either have a router, or maybe that psyBNC hides your real IP (i havent used it).

And no any ports should do 1024-5000 , 5000-5050 , 10051-10070 etc etc
Posted By: FNar Re: Cant DCC send - 03/09/06 10:07 PM
Quote:
right now, im not using any kind of routers or firewall, just my cable modem direct to my pc.

Look your modem up in http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm. If it's in there it has a router built in, so you'll have to forward ports in it. Follow the link, choose mIRC DCC - IRC DCC and follow the directions.

Quote:
im using port 1024-5000 right now!

So mIRC will be using all those ports - it's a huge range. How many simultaneous chats and sends are you planning on doing? 10 is usually more than enough. Just pick 10 sequential numbers between 1024 and 5000 - it's best to pick a starting point at random, in case someone wants to use those open ports for an exploit. Make him work to guess the range you picked.

Quote:
do i have to use port 10051-10070 in my mIRC options --> Advanced

You have to use a small range of ports somewhere between 1024 and 5000.
Posted By: Graeme508 Re: Cant DCC send - 21/06/07 09:57 PM
sorry if i have missed anything in 10 pages of replys and problems.

I cant send or receive using DCC. I get the problem, connection refused at the receive end and awaiting connection at the send end before it times out.

I have checked the IPs and they both match. I have tried setting up my router for port forwarding, UDP 113, TCP 1024-1025 but still no difference.

I am running XP SP2, Zone Alarm Firewall
DLink 614 (the likely problem)

mIRC settings:
DCC port range for connections 1024 - 1025
Local Info: Local Host and Server checked
DCC Server enabled listen port 59

Any ideas ?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Posted By: mnchillin06 Re: Cant DCC send - 29/06/07 08:52 PM
Im running Vista and can't DCC send.

I can receive fine but when I send all i get is "waiting for response" and then it times out.

Any help would be greeatly appreciated.
Posted By: dawnhim941 Re: Cant DCC send - 30/06/07 08:04 AM
i am trying to connect to #karaoke-realm for final steps and it is saying unable to connect to channel because channel is full i am doing everthing it is telling me to do and still channel if full what do i do
dawn
Posted By: RoCk Re: Cant DCC send - 30/06/07 01:16 PM
Keep trying to join until it is not full. Someone has set a limit on the channel and the number of users exceeded that limit and that's why the server is telling you the channel is full. If you know and op that is on the channel, message them and ask them to fix it.
Posted By: bwuser Re: Cant DCC send - 14/01/08 08:14 AM
Btw, I just had success with the dcc send problem and thought I'd share it.

I have server mode selected, local host checked, all the necessary ports open, etc etc, I tried this for kicks:

Connect > Options > Advanced
Checked bind sockets to ip and then put in my -internal- ip address (find by opening up a command prompt (start > run > "cmd"), typing in ipconfig, and then writing down the ip address it gives you. Usually 192.168.1.10# or 10.x.x.x)

Anyway this worked for me. Good luck smile
Posted By: CeS007 Re: Cant DCC send - 21/06/08 10:13 PM
I typed /dns mynick and this is what i got:

-
[15:08] * Dns resolving 3ADB27F2.D1883916.20ACB17F.IP
-
[15:08] * Dns unable to resolve 3ADB27F2.D1883916.20ACB17F.IP
-

Im using a wireless service simular to sprint and verizon.

I've disabled my norton firewall and try to send but I still can't send anything.

if anyone can help me figure out why I can't send any files I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 22/06/08 03:04 PM
Well that sucks, your ISP's DNS is broken. If a user can't resolve your hostname, he won't be able to make a direct connection to you and therefore you won't be able to send anything to them. This might be intentional by the wireless provider because they don't want their wireless users receiving connections, I'm not sure... you'll have to speak to them about why your hostname won't resolve.
Posted By: CeS007 Re: Cant DCC send - 22/06/08 06:26 PM
well thats the thing, I'm able to receive files, I just can't send them. Maybe that means it's something on my part instead of my wireless providers?
Posted By: maroon Re: Cant DCC send - 22/06/08 07:29 PM
Your dns problem has nothing to do with not being able to send. The IP you are showing is a shadowed (encrypted) ip that the network is using to protect its users. If you removed the shadowing "//mode $me -x", you'll be able to /dns yourself, assuming your ISP has actually created a text hostmask for your current IP.

You can't dcc send because something's blocking the port you're trying to use for sending. You need to make sure your firewall isn't blocking the port, and your router is forwarding the port to the local ip you're now using. Try seeing if the instructions help for your particular router at http://www.portforward.com

You can also dcc send with mIRC 6.17 or higher by enabling passive send "/dcc passive on", but that only works when sending to a receiver who has opened THEIR dcc ports already.
Posted By: roberttx Re: Cant DCC send - 26/08/08 04:48 PM
I have read about every post in this thread and am even more confused than before.

I'm using a Sierra Wireless Card model 875 with AT&T. The card connects to a different tower every time I connect, and, as far as I can tell, my ip address changes, too.

I can receive DCC usually, but can never send. I am not aware of a firewall with AT&T and I have no firewall options checked in my MIRC.

Like all of the others with the inability to DCC send, this is frustrating. I paid for MIRC and would like to get some help in possibly resolving this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Posted By: roberttx Re: Cant DCC send - 27/08/08 03:04 PM
no help??
Posted By: RoCk Re: Cant DCC send - 27/08/08 03:27 PM

Type /localinfo -u

This will force mIRC to get your current WAN IP address from the IRC server. If it works (and it should) you should narrow your port range down to 10 or 20 ports. The default range is 1024-5000 (3976 ports) which is far more than the average user needs. To do this...

Go to mIRC options (alt+o) > connect > options > advanced button
Select: DCC
Deselect: Other
First: 1031
Last: 1050
Select: Randomize ports
Deselect: Bind sockets to IP

Also, to get your current IP everytime you connect to a server, you can add it to your perform list for all networks. To do this...

Go to mIRC options (alt+o) > connect > options > perform button
Select: Enable perform on connect
Select: All networks
Add this line: /localinfo -u

If this doesn't work, you can always use the Passive DCC feature which puts the burden of open ports and correct IP address on the receiver. Switch on passive mode by typing /dcc passive on

Good luck smile
Posted By: roberttx Re: Cant DCC send - 27/08/08 11:32 PM
Thanks! Does the receiver have to have /dcc passive on too?
Posted By: RoCk Re: Cant DCC send - 28/08/08 04:40 AM

No.
Posted By: RoCk Re: Cant DCC send - 28/08/08 11:58 AM

I should have mentioned that if a send fails with DCC Passive enabled, the failure will most likely be on the end of the receiver, not on your end.
Posted By: comus Re: Cant DCC send - 29/11/08 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: KaOSoFt
Quote:

Thanks A LOT. This just paragraph solved almost 3 years of ignorance and 'messing stuff up'.

Really, thank you a lot. I think this should be included in mIRC's options (somehow). Thanks again for your great support.

Add my thanks also! I just happened on this one suggestion after hours of trying to get my dcc send to work and this simple command fixed it. Awesome!
Posted By: thebuck Re: Cant DCC send - 18/03/09 01:21 AM
Hi, Just wanted to say thanks for the helpful info, came looking for which ports i needed to foward for dcc to work. MIRC 4 LIFE!
Posted By: love918 Re: Cant DCC send - 12/04/09 07:52 PM
My files are timming out this happened after I installed a proxy server program to surf anomonisly, but it still don't send after unistalling the anomonomus browser
Posted By: n8izzle Re: Cant DCC send - 18/04/09 05:57 PM
Hello everyone.. well this is my first post.. i have used mirc over 2 years ago and now i got it on my computer but i cant seem to receive files.. I have typed in the following:

/ctcp <name> xdcc send#

and nothing happens.. i look into my status and i receive this error:
You must identify to a registered nick to private message <name>

i am a registred user but i dont know what to do?? Help please

thank you in advance,
Nate
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 18/04/09 06:33 PM
It seems that "you need to be registered to send a private message". This is a relatively straightforward message. The network you're on has registration services (nickserv) and you need to use them. To find out how, ask people on the network.

Posted By: noMen Re: Cant DCC send - 29/05/10 05:17 PM
Finally I've solved my own "cannot DCC send" problem! Since I installed a wireless router I wasn't able to send or receive files. I tried rerouting ports in the router and lots of other things, but nothing worked. Finally I solved it in this way:
- I removed all port rerouting from router
- In mIRC options "Connect .. Local Info" I checked Local Host and Normal Lookup Method
- When sending I always use Passive DCC on

I hope this is useful for other people too.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 30/05/10 01:27 AM
It's recommended for people to enable port forwarding, not disable it. Passive DCC will only work with clients who are setup to allow incoming connections. Finally, you should not use Normal Lookup behind a router, as mIRC will be reporting the wrong IP address. Changing it to Server won't affect your sending with passive DCC, but it will make $ip return the correct value.
Posted By: MeStinkBAD Re: Cant DCC send - 30/05/10 06:15 AM
In related news... the latest beta has added support for IGDs (i.e. UPnP support). I am unable to test it as my NAT doesn't support UPnP (uses NAT-PMP instead) but this is *very* welcome by all.

Thank you, Khaled. I could kiss you! smile
Posted By: noMen Re: Cant DCC send - 30/05/10 07:38 AM
Originally Posted By: argv0
It's recommended for people to enable port forwarding, not disable it. Passive DCC will only work with clients who are setup to allow incoming connections. Finally, you should not use Normal Lookup behind a router, as mIRC will be reporting the wrong IP address. Changing it to Server won't affect your sending with passive DCC, but it will make $ip return the correct value.

I cannot disagree with you :-) However, it works for me. Port forwarding doesn't.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 31/05/10 01:46 AM
It won't work all the time. In fact it will only work if you send files to people who have their port forwarding properly configured. The second you try to send to someone like yourself, it will fail.

Port forwarding likely doesn't work because you missed a step or did something wrong-- or your router is broken/faulty. You can certainly make it work if you follow the instructions for your router (http://portforward.com) or call your ISP technical support and see if they can figure out what's wrong.
Posted By: MeStinkBAD Re: Cant DCC send - 31/05/10 05:52 AM
It won't work all the time. In fact it will only work if you send files to people who have their port forwarding properly configured. The second you try to send to someone like yourself, it will fail.

Port forwarding likely doesn't work because you missed a step or did something wrong-- or your router is broken/faulty. You can certainly make it work if you follow the instructions for your router (http://portforward.com) or call your ISP technical support and see if they can figure out what's wrong.

Maybe I'm mistaken but what does this have to do w/ mIRC adding UPnP support? Only one person needs UPnP support, the other person may use passive DCC. As long as one person has automatic port mapping setup, passive DCC will work.

And if you can't DCC yourself, your router is *not* the problem.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 31/05/10 07:15 AM
UPnP and it must be supported by the router, which not all routers actually support. Some support it but disable the feature by default, so the router still needs to be configured. And of course, UPnP support is only in betas, which the user may or may not have. I won't recommend any features that are in a beta version of mIRC- when a final release is out, the solution might change. Until then, configuring the router is a better idea. In either case, it's irrelevant whether UPnP or manual port forwarding is used.

Passive DCC reverses how the connection is made. The sender usually receives the connection-- with passive DCC on, the receiver receives the connection. Therefore it's not just "one" person who has to have the port open, it has to be the right person. Automatic versus manual mapping is irrelevant, the point is that the receiver has to have the port open with passive on, the sender must have it otherwise. This means a passive DCC SEND will not work when the user sends to someone who does not have DCC configured.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Cant DCC send - 31/05/10 09:59 PM
@noMen: Port forwarding, when done right will always work. That said, you did hit on the other possible reason for sends to fail... your local info must show a valid IP address. If it doesn't, you cannot send except using passive DCC. Most likely, if you put your port forwarding back in and left your Local Info as it is now, it would work for you. Also, you may run into issues if your DNS servers aren't working properly.
Posted By: noMen Re: Cant DCC send - 01/06/10 01:11 AM
I followed the instructions on http://portforward.com for my router exactly, but DCC wouldn't work with that. And I don't see what is wrong with using passive DCC. Wasn't this designed for people who are not able to initiate a send session? The most important thing for me, is that my DCC works fine and I'm happy.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 01/06/10 01:33 AM
If you read my post you would know what's wrong with passive DCC. It will only help you if the other user has configured DCC. If the other user is like you and using passive DCC, or thinks that configuring their firewall is unimportant, you will be unable to send/receive with them. If this is what you consider "working", so be it; but realize that configuring your router properly will allow DCC to work 100% of the time, using passive DCC will not.
Posted By: noMen Re: Cant DCC send - 01/06/10 04:59 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong argv0, because I really would like to setup my DCC correctly:

Suppose my DCC has been setup in the way you advice (port forwarding, on connect get IP, lookup method server) then I would still not be able to send files to people who haven't setup their DCC correctly, for instance when their mIRC is blocked by their firewall. Passive DCC wouldn't help me then. Also, passive DCC is only helpful for the sender in case the sender is not able to setup a 2-way DCC connection. It doesn't do anything for the receiver except establishing the connection.

Is that correct?

Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Cant DCC send - 01/06/10 07:01 PM
Here's a clarication of Passive DCC...

Passive DCC creates the connection in "reverse" of a normal DCC connection. This means that the person receiving has to configure their router/firewall correctly to receive the file and the sender doesn't have to do anything. In a normal DCC connection, the sender has to configure the router/firewall correctly and the receiver doesn't have to do anything. See where the difference is?

Basically, in Passive DCC, if YOU as the sender cannot configure your ports correctly, then you are stuck using Passive DCC and hoping that anyone wanting to receive from you IS able to configure theirs. If they also can't configure their router/firewall, then they will not be able to receive files from you. That's where the problem is with using Passive DCC... everyone receiving files from you has to configure their router/firewall or they can't receive files from you.

In comparison, if you're using normal DCC, you're the only one who has to configure the router/firewall so it makes it easier for everyone involved and you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to send to everyone as long as they aren't blocking DCCs.

Let me ask you this... you made 2 main changes after setting up port forwarding failed for you. You removed those port forwarding settings AND you changed your Local Info settings. Have you tried setting up port forwarding with your current Local Info settings? That may be all that you needed to change. Remember that you cannot send using normal DCC if you do not have a valid IP address in Local Info (or //echo -a IP: $ip). If it isn't being picked up for one reason or another, you can manually enter the IP into the Local Info section and it will work as long as it remains there and your IP doesn't change.

Beyond that, if you're still having trouble setting up the ports, it would be useful if you provide your router name (and model information) and whatever firewall software you are using. Also, provide the port forward information you entered into your router (something like: mirc 1024-5000 TCP 192.168.1.1 Enabled) and also what you have in your mIRC settings for the DCC ports (something like: DCC Enabled, Other Disabled, 1024-5000, Randomize Ports disabled). As a note, I don't recommend using 1024-5000 as you'll never need anywhere near that number of ports. A range of 20 ports is usually plenty. Of course, as far as whether or not it works, the port range doesn't matter as long as the same range is used in mIRC *and* in the router/firewall.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 01/06/10 07:26 PM
Yes, that is correct. Forwarding ports is guaranteed to work for any receiver 100% of the time whereas passive DCC will only work for receivers that have their router/firewall configured (something like 60% of the time? arbitrary guess based on my own experience).
Posted By: noMen Re: Cant DCC send - 02/06/10 10:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Beyond that, if you're still having trouble setting up the ports, it would be useful if you provide your router name (and model information) and whatever firewall software you are using. Also, provide the port forward information you entered into your router (something like: mirc 1024-5000 TCP 192.168.1.1 Enabled) and also what you have in your mIRC settings for the DCC ports (something like: DCC Enabled, Other Disabled, 1024-5000, Randomize Ports disabled). As a note, I don't recommend using 1024-5000 as you'll never need anywhere near that number of ports. A range of 20 ports is usually plenty. Of course, as far as whether or not it works, the port range doesn't matter as long as the same range is used in mIRC *and* in the router/firewall.

Well, if you can help me ....
I've got a Sitecom wireless router, model WL-304. I use DHCP and standard Windows firewall. mIRC is deblocked in my firewall. http://portforward.com gives me the following instructions:
- setup ports 10051-10070 in mIRC
- use a static ip address
- login into the router and select advanced ... virtual server
- forward ports 1024-5000, but only instructions for ports 1024-1036 are given

This doesn't work for me. And I don't understand why I should forward 1024 etc while in mIRC ports 10051-10070 have to be setup. Although I use DHCP, the ip address of my PC is always the same.

So, what is wrong with the instructions? And, after forwarding, should I use the local ip address of my PC or the public address of my router in mIRC local info?
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 02/06/10 11:09 PM
I don't see where the guide is on the site, but the guide is wrong if it tells you to use different ports in mIRC and in the router.

Whatever port range you setup in mIRC has to be the exact same port range you setup in your router.

For example, if you want to use 1024-1036 in mIRC, you need to forward 1024-1036 in the router. If you want 10051-10070, forward those. Basically it has to match up. This is likely why your setup wasn't working.
Posted By: noMen Re: Cant DCC send - 02/06/10 11:24 PM
See: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Sitecom/WL-304/mIRC_DCC_-_IRC_DCC.htm
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Cant DCC send - 03/06/10 12:12 AM
Wow... that's the first time I've seen one of their tutorials that was messed up like that. Ignore the ports they show and select a range that is the same in both mIRC and the router. They should be forwarded as TCP or TCP/UDP (not just UDP). The static IP address is only an issue if you have multiple computers using the router and they aren't keeping the same IP (they swap IPs occasionally). For example, you might have 192.168.1.2 normally, but one day your computer is off and the other computer ends up getting that IP and when you turn yours on, you end up with 192.168.1.3. If that happens, the forwarded ports won't work for you because they are set to use 192.168.1.2. Because that can happen, it's useful to set your computer up as static so that it always has the same IP. If you don't have that issue, it's not really a big deal... though I do prefer having it set to static as it doesn't cause problems and is easy to do and prevents the possibility of a problem later on.
Posted By: noMen Re: Cant DCC send - 03/06/10 08:31 AM
@argv0 and @Riamus2: Thank you very much for your help and your patience. I got it working now, I can send with passive set to off. I also understand why passive on is not the right solution, thanks to your explanations.
Thanks again!
Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 04/06/10 08:42 PM
well, I think I have a new twist on dcc connection troubles, after reading this thread and several other references. If I've somehow missed a crucial explanation, please re-direct me.

After following carefully the instructions for setting up port-forwarding in my DSL router, I restarted two separate copies of the client on two separate computers on my local network. Each computer was the target of a separate range of port-forwarding. Passive mode is disabled.

I verified that the IP addresses seen by each client reflect the true public network address, not the local network.

For reference: the public address is 71.135.xxx.yyy.

My testing was quite straightforward: try both /dcc chat and /dcc send from each computer to the other.

In all cases, when the DCC was initiated, the target computer showed the connect dialogue, but also displayed the origin of the request as being from an unknown address: 208.88.177.68.

Now that completely flummoxes me! I can follow the traceroute completely outside of my ISP's network, so I don't think there is some sort of proxy occurring: I just can't explain the source of this address!

Clearly, something in my configuration (router and/or mIRC) is incorrect, but I just don't see it!

I am also unable to connect with outgoing dcc requests to computers off my local network, and while I can usually successfully receive incoming send requests, sometimes I cannot connect for incoming chat requests, though I can't be certain that the problem is at my end. In those unsuccessful cases I've not been able to verify an incorrect IP address.

I'm totally open to suggestions as to how to proceed to troubleshoot my problems.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/06/10 09:22 PM
As far as /dcc chat or send to another client on your network, that may or may not be possible depending on your router. Some routers allow it, others do not.

Are you certain you have the right IP in the router for the port ranges (192.168.1.x)? And are you sure the port ranges match what is in mIRC?
Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 04/06/10 09:25 PM
absolutely certain that port forwarding matches the individual DCC port ranges for each computer

as far as the other matter, Linksys tech support was no help at all
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/06/10 09:26 PM
This is inaccurate. /dcc chat from within your LAN works with the vast majority of routers- there are only a very small number of exceptions, and they're usually older models, that don't do proper NAT in some cases. /dcc send'ing yourself a file is actually a fairly reliable way to test if your DCC is configured correctly.

Are you connecting to IRC through a BNC or proxy?
Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 04/06/10 09:32 PM
well, on each separate computer, /hostaddr <mynick> , /echo my ip is $ip , and /localinfo -u all report exactly the same ip address as my router knows as the public address

clearly the 208.x.y.z address is wrong, but I've no idea where it originates... and how does it apparently replace what should be the correct address?
Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 04/06/10 09:34 PM

no, not using a proxy, nor a bouncer
Posted By: noMen Re: Cant DCC send - 04/06/10 09:45 PM
Maybe this is a stupid idea, but ... I did a DNS on that 208.x.x.x ip and I wouldn't like to visit the site behind it ..... Is there a chance that your PC is infected?
Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 04/06/10 09:53 PM
I run anti-virus on each computer and server, so I'm pretty sure that I'm virus-free...

and that is some sort of geolocation service, though I didn't delve very deeply into it
Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 04/06/10 10:23 PM
gets weirder: http://208.88.177.68 goes directly to an apache server test page at the Centos project

whois shows the address registered to FriendFinderNetworksInc, a social networking site

nslookup shows x-68.streamray.com as the owner, so not sure anymore

...and by the way, I'm not a client of Friend Finder, nor whatever Steamray is (today I've seen both porno and geolocation), and I do not run an apache web server...
Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 04/06/10 10:25 PM

later tonight I'll capture all irc/DCC traffic with a sniffer and see if I can figure out where the 208.x.y.z address is introduced... that might not tell me how or why, but at least I'll know where

Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 05/06/10 01:44 AM
I'm pretty sure you're infected.

FriendFinderNetworks, Inc. is owned by Penthouse (yes, that penthouse), and is the company that runs the AdultFriendFinder dating sites. I don't think your IRC server is associated with them, and I'm guessing you aren't either.
Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 07/06/10 10:20 PM
absolutely not infected...

this is where it starts to get weird, because I read and thought I'd understood the operation of the DCC protocol....

running Ethereal on the source and destination computers on my local network, as well as Windows Network Monitor on the server that provides a DNS resolver showed the following:

for a DCC CHAT request
1. originating CLIENT sends a NOTICE to the IRC SERVER with a brief message giving the destination NICKNAME, "DCC CHAT" and the destination CLIENT IP address in dotted decimal form enclosed in parentheses, for example
"NOTICE test-nick DCC CHAT (71.135.113.42)"

2. that is followed immediately (next TCP packet) with a PRIVMSG to the IRC SERVER with a brief message giving the destination NICKNAME, "DCC CHAT chat" followed by the decimal value of the destination CLIENT IP address, and the PORT number to use, for example
"PRIVMSG test-nick DCC CHAT chat 1200058666 54018"

3. the IRC SERVER then passes these two packets to the destination CLIENT for processing -- the destination CLIENT PORT number used is NOT in the DCC PORT range.

4. the destination CLIENT displays the expected dialog box about an incoming chat request, but when the Accept button is pressed, nothing happens, including NO messages on the wire, eventually the attempt times out at the requesting end.

Okay, any thoughts on what to look for next?

To be certain, I loaded fresh copies of mIRC and reinstalled, double-checking to avoid inadvertently making any changes to the DCC defaults, other than the port range to match my router.

This is still a puzzlement, wrapped in an enigma....

Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 09/06/10 05:31 PM
a bit more experimentation has yielded the following:

1. both DCC CHAT and DCC SEND usually (*BUT NOT ALWAYS!*) semd the target client the true IP address of the requestor. When the requestor's true IP address is not sent, the IP address provided seems to always be the IP address of the SERVER.

***CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN WHY SOMETIMES THE SERVER ADDRESS IS SUBSTITUTED FOR THE REQUESTING CLIENT ADDRESS???

2. even when the DCC requests contain the true IP address of the requestor, the DCC accept dialogue box shows what I believe is the results of a /userhost lookup on the requesting nickname -- which in the case of my ISP the response is an encoded version of the IP address which always fails when doing a DNS lookup, resulting in no reply to the requestor.

***DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR CIRCUMVENTING THIS ANOMALY???
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Cant DCC send - 09/06/10 06:04 PM
If you're having issues with DNS preventing sending, then change your DNS servers. You don't have to use your ISP's. Try Google's free DNS servers-

Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 10/06/10 01:16 AM
since when is google authoritative for my ISP?

the issue is that mIRC appears to use the result of a /userhost against the DCC requestor's nickname... I've had sniffers watching both clients and the uplink to the server... the /userhost is sent from the target client to the server, who answers directly (without contacting the client), presumably from cached state information -- I started sniffing after the clients had logged-in to the server so missed the identity exchanges...

as everything I can see or display from the individual clients leads me to believe that it's the IRC server that is getting the obscured address in a url that won't resolve... so just exactly how is using google supposed to help? to prove that, I shut off dhcp and manually set the ns addresses (verified with ipconfig) and got the same results...

I think I'll try using an entirely different IRC server to see if there is different behavior, and if so, ask some questions of the admins...
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 10/06/10 05:25 AM
mIRC uses the IP provided in the DCC request to connect to a user, not the /userhost reply, so this value is entirely up to the user. Unless the server or your router are modifying this incoming message, the IP mIRC connects to is the result of the DCC request message and nothing else.

To clarify your scenario, could you explain if you are the "destination CLIENT" in your scenario described above? If not, how do you know the destination PORT is not in the port range? Also, the destination client is the originating client (the sender is the one who receives the connection, unless passive is on), so how would the destination client be receiving the accept dialog box? Do you have passive dcc on?
Posted By: Richard_B Re: Cant DCC send - 10/06/10 07:34 PM
I have both the requesting and destination clients as separate computers on my local network. The local network is connected to my ISP through a router with built-in NAT. EACH of the computers used in the test has a separate range of ports reserved for DCC, with port-forwarding enabled in the router to match.

Passive DCC is OFF for both computers. Recall that my router provides NAT services: the requestor and target computers both have the SAME external IP address, though their local network addresses are different.

I captured the exchanges for network login and DCC requests at three points last night: using WireShark on each client computer and Windows Network Monitor on the local name server (which has visibility of the entire network.) I captured the exchanges for two different IRC networks.

Network One
Requestor --> Server
NOTICE <target-nick> DCC Chat (<requestor-ip>) <port-number>

Server --> Target
<requestor-host-hidden> NOTICE <target-nick> DCC Chat (<requestor-ip>) <port-number>

***note: <requestor-host-hidden> ::= <requestor-host> truncated with IP address encoded as a hex string

Requestor --> Server
PRIVMSG DCC CHAT chat <requestor-ip> <port-number>

Server --> Target
<requestor-host-hidden> PRIVMSG <target-nick> DCC CHAT chat <requestor-nick> <requestor-ip> <port-number>

***note: <requestor-host-hidden> ::= <requestor-host> truncated with IP address encoded as a hex string

At this point, the target computer pops up a DCC Accept dialogue box. After accepting the request, nothing happens until the request times out: there are NO attempts from the target computer to initiate the chat session.

Network Two

A detailed comparison of the sniffer traces shows only one significant difference: this network does not hide the requesting client's host address when forwarding NOTICE and PRIVMSG packets to the target computer.

Verification of Test Results

I then switched the roles of the two computers and observed identical results. I did not attempt DCC Send because if DCC Chat won't connect, what would be the point?

Summary

I'm beginning to think that mIRC simply does not attempt to respond to a DCC request if the requestor's IP address is the same as the target's IP address.

CAN ANYONE VERIFY THIS?

My next step will be to see if I can get into a successful DCC Chat session with someone on #mirchelp: if that succeeds will continue to DCC Send.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 11/06/10 06:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Richard_B
I'm beginning to think that mIRC simply does not attempt to respond to a DCC request if the requestor's IP address is the same as the target's IP address.

This is not correct. You can certainly DCC yourself with a properly configured mIRC. I recommend this to users all the time in order to test their router configurations. And yes, I have also seen users successfully perform intra-LAN DCC operations with mIRC too.

When you say "nothing happens", do you mean no connection attempt is even made from the target machine?

Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 03/08/10 10:45 AM
Hi there, I don't know if my problem is a script or router problem but hopefully, if you guys can't help you'll be able to tell me who can. I have a D-Link DI-524 router and it has always performed really well. I've used the same mIRC script for years and the port forwarding has never been a problem . . .

. . Until about 2 years ago. For no apparent reason, when I started the script and connected, my IP Address wasn't being automatically filled in the mIRC Options Local Info. The Local Host would be filled in but not the IP Address. Several Ops looked at my settings (mIRC, router, firewall) and everything seemed fine. No-one had a clue. The best they could come up with was me having to manually enter it every time I started the script. This would be ok but if I ever suffered a loss of connection and was unaware of it, on reconnection the IP Address would be empty again. Also I would have to get the IP Address filled within a short space of time or I would be booted from the channel (because I didn't respond to a DCC request that was a pre-requisite for voicing) and of course, this would happen if I reconnected. I figured maybe it was my computer and just lived with it. At least, as long as I got the IP Address in, I could serve properly.

That was on a PC running XP Home SP3. I now have a PC running W7 Home Premium. And I have exactly the same problem - IP Address empty, I still have to fill it in. And what's worse is, on top of that, I still don't respond to DCC Send requests. If do a manual DCC Send and it works fine. I can initiate DCC chat. But unfortunately I've lost my voice on my script. I wondered if maybe it was the script so I found another one but same problem. And a third - but with this one my problem doesn't affect my voice so I've stuck with it. I have had the new Ops look at all my settings but, still, none can figure it out. One of them has changed my mIRC settings to Passive DCC but I can't see that it's made any difference.

I have also reset my router and tried with my Windows Firewall turned off. I know absolutely nothing about scripts and I really really need help with this. If anyone has any idea whatsoever about what's going on I would be so grateful. Cheers in advance for any suggestions.
Posted By: Horstl Re: Cant DCC send - 03/08/10 01:21 PM
About the use of passive DCC, to save some time I'll simply quote:
Passive DCC reverses how the connection is made. The sender usually receives the connection-- with passive DCC on, the receiver receives the connection. (...) [T]he point is that the receiver has to have the port open with passive on, the sender must have it otherwise. This means a passive DCC SEND will not work when the user sends to someone who does not have DCC configured.
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Passive DCC creates the connection in "reverse" of a normal DCC connection. This means that the person receiving has to configure their router/firewall correctly to receive the file and the sender doesn't have to do anything. In a normal DCC connection, the sender has to configure the router/firewall correctly and the receiver doesn't have to do anything. See where the difference is?

Basically, in Passive DCC, if YOU as the sender cannot configure your ports correctly, then you are stuck using Passive DCC and hoping that anyone wanting to receive from you IS able to configure theirs. If they also can't configure their router/firewall, then they will not be able to receive files from you. That's where the problem is with using Passive DCC... everyone receiving files from you has to configure their router/firewall or they can't receive files from you.

In comparison, if you're using normal DCC, you're the only one who has to configure the router/firewall so it makes it easier for everyone involved and you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to send to everyone as long as they aren't blocking DCCs.

• Given that you can send without passive DCC if the correct IP is set at "local", it's probably no port forwarding issue. what are your actual settings at Options:Connect:Local ("On connect, always get:" and "Lookup method")?

• While connected to the network, does the command
Code:
/localinfo -u
fill the correct IP?

If it does, try setting "always get" to "host name" and "lookup method" to "server". If your localinfo hadn't been filled as desired after a reconnect, your problem may indeed be related to a script. You can test this by installing a separate, clean mIRC into a separate folder (choose "portable mode") and see whether you have the same problems with abovementioned settings at "local".

If it does not - I once made a small workaround script to retrieve and set that IP. The script was to help users who retrieve a wrong IP at "local" due to a proxy/BNC - but it might help you as well.
Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 03/08/10 09:26 PM
Hi Horstl, Thanks for the reply. Sorry I don't understand where to enter the /localinfo -u command. I've tried in the script and in Windows cmd but nothing happens. All my Options:Connect:Local are correct as you describe - 'host name' and 'server'. As I said Ops have checked - everything is fine. That's what's so darn confusing about the whole thing. Of course, I suppose there's a chance that they are missing something. And I also said this is the third script I have tried. They have all been clean installs. I am more than happy to post screenshots of anything you might like to look at yourself. Or the Ops that set me up and checked everything have used Crossloop and I'd be happy to do that too. As for your workaround script, I appreciate the thought but I have no idea what to do with it :-)
Posted By: Horstl Re: Cant DCC send - 03/08/10 10:51 PM
You can type "/localinfo -u" in the editbox of any mIRC window (e.g. the status window). After a few moments mIRC should print some kind of reply (at least some error message) to your status window. Just make sure you are connected while you issue the command because "-u" stands for "userhost" lookup, that is: try to get the IP via the IRC server.

In case you don't see any reply to the command in your status window, what reply do you get to the following command?
Code:
//echo -a $md5($mircexe,2) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0) $version $os $isalias(localinfo)

As for the workaround script: open the mIRC Scripts Editor (Alt-R), go to the tab "Remote", select "New" in the file menu, paste in the code, and "Save as:" "localinfo-IP.mrc". smile

Even if you succeed with the script, I'm curious why the regular lookup isn't working for you...
Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 04:03 AM
Thanks again Horstl, Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I had to shoot off to work after I posted.

Ok not sure if this is what you're after but this comes up when entering the /localinfo -u command:

[3:28pm] Local host: 203-97-212-82.cable.telstraclear.net (unknown)

It comes up quite regularly in the window so I wasn't sure if that was what you meant.

When I enter the //echo -a $md5($mircexe,2) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0) $version $os $isalias(localinfo) command I get this:

52f9f2101923e84dd146fd1058d97b60 16 0 0 6.21 Vista $false

Excuse even more of my ignorance but does your script just run automatically on startup? I don't have to do anything with it after creating it in the script editor? If it is meant to run automatically then I don't think it worked unfortunately - still no IP Address entered in Local Info.

And "curious" doesn't even begin to describe it LOL.

PS: If your script hasn't worked should I delete if from mIRC script editor?
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 06:01 AM
Keep in mind that 6.21 is not compatible with Vista, you're much better off using the latest version of mIRC (7.1), which has UPnP support and should be a lot easier to configure DCC if you have a relatively new router.
Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 06:31 AM
Hi and thanks argv0, I am running 6.21 but that's the version that came with my script. I'm not on Vista - I'm on Windows 7 (if that makes any difference). But even so, it doesn't explain how all the other people out there with the same script, v6.21 and Vista/W7 aren't having any problems at all (well according to the Ops anyway). And the IP Address not filling has been a problem since I was on XP. The no-respond to DCC requests is new on my W7 computer. I don't have a relatively new router (D-Link DI-524).
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 06:55 AM
By "relative" I mean the last few years. Googling shows that the D-Link DI-524 supports UPnP, which means it's relatively new enough. UPnP is a much simpler method of configuring DCC, and I'd recommend it if you're having trouble. You do need 7.1 for this, though.

Upgrading mIRC should generally not affect the script-- if it does, the issues should be minor. I can't guarantee any of this, but it's certainly worth a shot. 7.1 adds plenty of fixes, especially if you're on win7, and possibly has some DCC related changes that may have to do with your issue. It's really hard for any of us here to support a version of mIRC that is almost 4 years old.

If 7.1 does not work, you should at least be upgrading to 6.35, which should be at least 99.999% compatible with your script. This would rule out any dcc issues that had been fixed in recent years.
Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 07:36 AM
Hi again argv0, Ok this is what I've tried:

1. downloaded v7.1 of mIRC and installed as an upgrade over the script I have now - no luck - IP Address still empty. When I enter the IP Address myself I can still do a manual DCC Send and initialize DCC Chat but not respond to DCC Requests. This is so frustrating.

2. did a clean install (to new folder) of just mIRC as a portable app - no luck - IP Address still empty.

Of course I have no idea if there are any other settings I need to make since it's a new version.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 07:42 AM
The IP address won't matter in this case, for 7.1 you would need to configure mIRC to use UPnP. Go to Alt+O -> Connect -> Options -> Ports... and under the UPnP fieldset check IP address, DCC connections and Identd -- that should set you up.
Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 08:00 AM
argv0, Those fields are already checked.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 08:11 AM
Did you enable UPnP in your router? This is often necessary.
Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 08:24 AM
Yes UPnP already enabled
Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 09:49 AM
UPDATE: As I said earlier I know nothing about scripts but I do understand a little bit about how ports work with them. I have just downloaded two programs - CurrPorts and PFPortChecker.

I know mIRC uses port 113 for DDC chat (yes?). I have it set in my router for TCP (even though an Op set it up this way, I have tried it set to Both as well).

When I have the script running, in CurrPorts it doesn't show mIRC using port 113. It does show port 59 and another port up in the 50000s and if I initiate a DCC Chat it also shows port 1024.

PFPortChecker says port 113 is open which it doesn't do for the other ports mIRC is using - it says 'could not check because another application has that port locked'. This would be mIRC right? So shouldn't port 113 also be locked?

I don't know if any of that is relevant and I may be completely off base here but I figure any little bit of info helps.
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 10:06 AM
Port 113 is for identd. DCC Chat and other DCC commands use the port(s) you have set up under the Ports button in mIRC's options.

I don't know if this will help you, but I've had issues with my IP not being filled off and on with Roadrunner internet. When I changed my DNS Servers, it solved the problem. I just used Google's DNS Servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). You can set those up in your network configuration. It's worth a try at least.
Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 10:17 AM
Hi there Riamus2, I vaguely recall reading something about that. It's certainly worth a go but could you please give me some more specific instructions about setting up my 'network configuration'. Cheers.
Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 10:45 AM
Ok Riamus2 I took a gamble and went to my Wireless Network Connection TCP/IPv4 Properties and changed DNS from automatically obtain to the numbers you gave me and OMG it worked!!!! You are a legend!!!! I can't believe it's been over 2 years and it was that simple. Funny no-one else has suggested it, and I've had loads of people checking it out. Thank you so so so so much.
Posted By: Horstl Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 11:33 AM
Good spot smile
With the DNS issue solved, you should now get "Local host: <your hostname> (<your IP>)" instead of "Local host: <your hostname> (unknown)". mIRC wasn't able to resolve your hostname after the regular "method: server"-lookup aka "/localinfo -u" .
Posted By: kiwichick888 Re: Cant DCC send - 04/08/10 11:43 AM
Thanks Horstl, Yip that's what's happened. Looks all good on that front. I've disconnected and reconnected several times and IP Address is consistently filled in. I'm stoked. I don't know if the DCC Send issue has been completely cleared up though. I messaged an Op and asked them to request a file from me. It send just fine all by itself but another user has requested files and they aren't being sent. Hopefully it might be something on their end. I can still manual DCC Send to that user.
Posted By: adiroman2010 Re: Cant DCC send - 19/11/10 07:45 PM
Hi
My Local Host field is empty, i get this message "Local host: unknown". I just change my ISP and i didn't have this problems before
What should i do?
Posted By: Riamus2 Re: Cant DCC send - 20/11/10 12:10 AM
You can check with your ISP and see if they can figure out why their DNS isn't resolving. Or, you can always change your DNS information to a free DNS server instead of using your ISP's. I had to do that with TimeWarner because they just kept having DNS problems like you describe, so I changed mine to the free Google ones and haven't had a problem since. There are many free DNS servers available if you decide to go that route.

Of course, you can just manually fill in your local host field each time you connect (or use a script to do so). It doesn't solve the problem, but it's a workaround for it. And make sure you're using the right settings in there as the wrong settings may also play a role.
Posted By: Dani7 Re: Cant DCC send - 12/12/10 03:51 PM
hi, i have a problem with receiving dcc. normally i will be able to get the first file with no problem but when it comes to the second or third file, i will always get the error message which is something like dcc get (unable to connect). anyone knows what might be causing this? thanks in advance. and also i suspect the problem lies on my side as i have tried with multiple senders.
Posted By: RusselB Re: Cant DCC send - 13/12/10 04:17 PM
Do you have Passive DCC checked? If so, try un-checking it.
Another possibility is that the socket connection that is made for the first get isn't closing before you try to receive (get) the second file. Try waiting a few seconds.
© mIRC Discussion Forums