mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Strider Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
With many IRC servers now supporting CIDR address bans, it is practically a necessity for IRC clients to do so as well.

Even though custom CIDR ban/op/voice/etc. lists can be scripted with relative ease, internal support in mIRC (mainly for access levels in the User List) would be really nice and would make things much simpler.

S
Strider Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
I think this deserves a bump.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Just wondering...

Which irc servers are now supporting CIDR bans? I'm not aware of many. Which irc clients are currently supporting this?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
S
Strider Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
I don't know if there is an IRC client out there that has internal support yet, and I didn't state otherwise over a year ago when I proposed this. I stated that it's practically a need now (perhaps exaggerating a bit).

As for servers, the ones that I can recall are ircu, ircd-ratbox (and ircd-hybrid), IRCnet ircd, UnrealIRCd and Bahamut (the last two only for akill, kline, gline, etc, last time I checked), which are some of the least important IRCd's out there...

And even if no server supported CIDR bans, it would still be a good idea to have a client that does so, since it's a nice way of leaving out troublesome users without having to ban the range of a whole ISP. This is the reason IRCd's started supporting this in the first place.

Edit: typo

Last edited by Strider; 01/10/08 05:52 AM.
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
I'll add a vote for some CIDR support. smile

Great for ignores as well as user list and bans.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
ok, and CIDR means what?

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: landonsandor
ok, and CIDR means what?

It means 'Google'.

No, really.

It does!

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I think we're on the same page that it's a good idea-- the problem I can forsee is that if only a few servers implement this its hard to tell if servers are implementing this in a standardized fashion or not. If mIRC chooses the current implementation and something changes down the line with the majority of other servers, it may become even more of a problem having it broken than not having it at all.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It wouldn't work in mirc the same way it works with irc servers: irc servers typically match the CIDR mask against the users' IP address even if they have a resolved hostname, while mirc cannot just resolve every hostname before doing the matching. It's always going to be half-broken in that sense anyway (this is not specific to CIDR bans btw); I would say stuff like this should remain in the realm of scripting.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

S
Strider Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
That's actually a good point. I didn't think of it that way before. I guess I'm too used to being on servers that show the IP address.

Link Copied to Clipboard