mIRC Homepage
Posted By: Strider Internal support for CIDR-type addresses - 09/01/07 03:59 AM
With many IRC servers now supporting CIDR address bans, it is practically a necessity for IRC clients to do so as well.

Even though custom CIDR ban/op/voice/etc. lists can be scripted with relative ease, internal support in mIRC (mainly for access levels in the User List) would be really nice and would make things much simpler.
Posted By: Strider Re: Internal support for CIDR-type addresses - 01/10/08 03:38 AM
I think this deserves a bump.
Posted By: argv0 Re: Internal support for CIDR-type addresses - 01/10/08 04:31 AM
Just wondering...

Which irc servers are now supporting CIDR bans? I'm not aware of many. Which irc clients are currently supporting this?
Posted By: Strider Re: Internal support for CIDR-type addresses - 01/10/08 05:51 AM
I don't know if there is an IRC client out there that has internal support yet, and I didn't state otherwise over a year ago when I proposed this. I stated that it's practically a need now (perhaps exaggerating a bit).

As for servers, the ones that I can recall are ircu, ircd-ratbox (and ircd-hybrid), IRCnet ircd, UnrealIRCd and Bahamut (the last two only for akill, kline, gline, etc, last time I checked), which are some of the least important IRCd's out there...

And even if no server supported CIDR bans, it would still be a good idea to have a client that does so, since it's a nice way of leaving out troublesome users without having to ban the range of a whole ISP. This is the reason IRCd's started supporting this in the first place.

Edit: typo
Posted By: deegee Re: Internal support for CIDR-type addresses - 03/10/08 10:25 PM
I'll add a vote for some CIDR support. smile

Great for ignores as well as user list and bans.
ok, and CIDR means what?
Originally Posted By: landonsandor
ok, and CIDR means what?

It means 'Google'.

No, really.

It does!
Posted By: argv0 Re: Internal support for CIDR-type addresses - 04/10/08 07:06 AM
I think we're on the same page that it's a good idea-- the problem I can forsee is that if only a few servers implement this its hard to tell if servers are implementing this in a standardized fashion or not. If mIRC chooses the current implementation and something changes down the line with the majority of other servers, it may become even more of a problem having it broken than not having it at all.
Posted By: Sat Re: Internal support for CIDR-type addresses - 04/10/08 09:46 AM
It wouldn't work in mirc the same way it works with irc servers: irc servers typically match the CIDR mask against the users' IP address even if they have a resolved hostname, while mirc cannot just resolve every hostname before doing the matching. It's always going to be half-broken in that sense anyway (this is not specific to CIDR bans btw); I would say stuff like this should remain in the realm of scripting.
Posted By: RusselB Re: Internal support for CIDR-type addresses - 04/10/08 10:52 AM
CIDR : Classless Inter-Domain Routing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classless_Inter-Domain_Routing
Posted By: Strider Re: Internal support for CIDR-type addresses - 04/10/08 07:38 PM
That's actually a good point. I didn't think of it that way before. I guess I'm too used to being on servers that show the IP address.
© mIRC Discussion Forums