mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
mystiky Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
Yes, I have patiently waited, but it has now been over 6 months since Vista was released, or 8 months since the code was frozen.

Some kind of a hint when there will be a new release of mIRC made would be much appreciated.

Yes, I have re-read the previoius messages but it would be nice to hear from the author himself.

From a REGISTERED mIRC customer who cannot downgrade to Windows XP.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If you were my "REGISTERED mIRC customer", I'd offer your money back just so I could tell you to piss off. Grow up.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Although I know a lot people using win vista and mIRC without serious problems (Yes, there is that $getdir thing, probs when not having admin privileges in some circumstances, scarce weird GUI behaviour, that default browser thing etc pp - all that stuff reported here - but mIRC is still usable for chat), I do not question that you might have more serious trouble.
Still, I do question that some kind of nagging will be adjuvant or will cause anything but repulse.
But, instead of telling you to "piss off", I'd rather suggest to have some more patience. Khaled is reading that bug reports, and without doubt, he is working on it. New mIRC releases had never been announced in advance. As the latest version is pre-vista, be sure that fixing things for vista will make up an, if not the important part of the next version.
Personally, I do prefer a working release to a overhasty, premature release.

W
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
W
i dont know whats the fuss about vista
i used mirc 6.20 (not .21) on ultimate (with my script)
and it worked just fine

but i do support your comment for new version.
author seems lazzy and i dont like one update per year.

Last edited by WideOpenSpace; 11/07/07 04:53 PM.

The harder I chase my dreams the more I experience the time for smiles and tears...
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Erm, there are many companies out there with budgeds of several millions of dollars, who did not manage to fix "their" software for full vista compatibility yet.. Try a google search for vista-related software problems, and you know what I am talking about.
The dev of mIRC do not have such funds at his disposal... (Correct me if I'm wrong wink )

There will be a fix up next, without doubt. It's up to you to show the patience needed (which thousands of other users out there show), or not. But to call someone "lazy" misses the situation by a mile.
Regards

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you have ever programmed something that needed time to either complete or update, you would understand how useless and annoying posts requesting release dates and/or updates are. New versions or finished versions of software will come out when they come out. Complaining doesn't help and just frustrates those involved. I've seen independent programmers stop releasing updates or just stop making the program if it's still being made because they got so sick of dealing with all of the complaints. Obviously, I don't expect Khaled to make that choice, but the point is that complaining about time is a waste of everyone's time. Be patient. There will be a new version when it is finished and fully tested, just like there has always been. You would complain more if Khaled released a buggy version just so that it's out quickly for those who are too impatient to wait. So just be patient and wait, like the rest of us.

As for on update per year, there's no reason for more rapid updates. Besides, the past few versions have come more quickly than that, I believe.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
There were 3 releases in 2003, 3 releases in 2004, 0 releases in 2005 (I believe Khaled was working on upgrading his knowledge by attending university in that year), and 3 releases in 2006.

That's 9 releases in 4 years, not 4 (which would be the case at one per year)

W
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
W
if all companies would work slow as khaled does they would go bankrot

he could make MAJOR updates regarding vista after first 3 months
of RTM being released, other could wait for about half year
but waiting 1 year for compatibility is plain snail work
and not only frustrating but annoying.

myself, i dont give a damn since i dont use vista anymore
but many people or upgraded or bought pc with it
so if other compaines can rush and atleast make test versions
of their soft for vista and then upgrade it even more some time
later, then khaled especialy can do it.

The harder I chase my dreams the more I experience the time for smiles and tears...
M
mystiky Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am glad that it's not just me who is just itching to get a more-Vista-Friendly version of MIRC.

I am not asking Khaled to put out some "rushed & buggy" version. But it has been quite a very long time for an IMPORTANT and EXTREMELY useful program to have a Vista-friendlier version out there.

People made fun of me when I made a typo and said it has been 3 months since Vista was launched. Now, it will soon be 7 months.

Waiting to see some good news soon.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: WideOpenSpace
if all companies would work slow as khaled does they would go bankrot

he could make MAJOR updates regarding vista after first 3 months
of RTM being released, other could wait for about half year
but waiting 1 year for compatibility is plain snail work
and not only frustrating but annoying.

myself, i dont give a damn since i dont use vista anymore
but many people or upgraded or bought pc with it
so if other compaines can rush and atleast make test versions
of their soft for vista and then upgrade it even more some time
later, then khaled especialy can do it.

There are a lot of companies that don't have, or won't ever have, Vista compatible versions of certain software products and they aren't going bankrupt. That's not logical to state that they would.

Now, consider this. Bugs and problems associated with Vista are not all found immediately. I really doubt Khaled would want to put out a version for every other Vista issue that gets found. That would be pointless. So putting out a release within even 4-5 months would be a waste of time. mIRC *works* in Vista. There's no reason to do a quickfix update to mIRC. If it didn't work, or major features didn't work, then Khaled would have released right away with fix(es) for those specific issues. However, the issues with mIRC and Vista are pretty minor and are not serious enough to make it worth putting a version out that only fixes a couple of things.

So, let's say Khaled decided to wait for 5 months to get as many problems found as possible, while also working on new features, changes, etc. And, from a programming standpoint, that is *very* realistic and reasonable. Then, figure that there is going to be a lot of testing to make sure it works. That's *easily* more than 6 months.

You didn't respond to a single thing I said before. Will you respond to it? Will you respond to this? Or are you just here to cause trouble? Flames without substance are the work of trolls and aren't worth the time of people to comment on, so unless you or someone else wants to make posts that are more than just flame posts, I'm done here.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
W
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
W
respond to what ?

i already replied with my thoughts or you are blind ?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This topic has died its death. The whole discussion is pointless, the answer will always be the same. Beta testing of mIRC has always been carried out privately and is likely to continue to be so. No "semi-compliant" version is going to be released for the few impatient people.

As far as I am aware there are no major Vista issues that cannot be temporarily resolved with scripting OR put up with for a short time. Just sounds like a bunch of moaning for the sake of moaning.

To be honest I'm likely to delete future threads about this. Just be patient smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard