mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
J
JadeSin Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
J
Would it be possible, in the next version of mIRC to add support for eastern langauge packs to be used...

R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
mIRC already supports Eastern languages. In order to use Eastern encodings, however, you have to turn Unicode support off and run mIRC in a locale appropriate to that country, either by changing your system settings or using Microsoft's AppLocale utility. There's also a special conversion mode for the Japanese ISO-2022-JP encoding, called SJIS/JIS conversion. This will often be a necessary step, since Unicode hasn't really caught on in Asia yet.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
you also need a valid font for displaying asian text so make sure you have one (which I think you do, but hey, never hurts to mention)

it took me a long time to get mIRC working with japanese...

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I didn't think of that actually. Thanks smile

Q
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Q
Quote:
In order to use Eastern encodings, however, you have to turn Unicode support off and run mIRC in a locale appropriate to that country, either by changing your system settings or using Microsoft's AppLocale utility.

Er, no you don't - you just select an appropriate font (MS Gothic for Japanese, MingLiu for Chinese BIG5, SimSun for Chinese GB2312, etc.), select the appropriate character set (as mentioned previously), then set UTF-8 to "Display only". The only time you ever need to change the system locale (either globally or using AppLocale) is if you are running Windows 9x/ME - for NT/2000/XP, you just need to install support for the language once (to get the fonts and the codepage conversion tables) and you're good to go.

* Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Why, thank you, Quietust! This is a merciful court.

Link Copied to Clipboard