mIRC Homepage
Posted By: JadeSin Support for eastern langauges - 26/05/06 11:47 PM
Would it be possible, in the next version of mIRC to add support for eastern langauge packs to be used...
Posted By: Rounin Re: Support for eastern langauges - 27/05/06 05:16 PM
mIRC already supports Eastern languages. In order to use Eastern encodings, however, you have to turn Unicode support off and run mIRC in a locale appropriate to that country, either by changing your system settings or using Microsoft's AppLocale utility. There's also a special conversion mode for the Japanese ISO-2022-JP encoding, called SJIS/JIS conversion. This will often be a necessary step, since Unicode hasn't really caught on in Asia yet.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Posted By: Doqnach Re: Support for eastern langauges - 29/05/06 03:14 PM
you also need a valid font for displaying asian text so make sure you have one (which I think you do, but hey, never hurts to mention)

it took me a long time to get mIRC working with japanese...
Posted By: hixxy Re: Support for eastern langauges - 29/05/06 03:28 PM
I didn't think of that actually. Thanks smile
Posted By: Quietust Re: Support for eastern langauges - 29/05/06 11:24 PM
Quote:
In order to use Eastern encodings, however, you have to turn Unicode support off and run mIRC in a locale appropriate to that country, either by changing your system settings or using Microsoft's AppLocale utility.

Er, no you don't - you just select an appropriate font (MS Gothic for Japanese, MingLiu for Chinese BIG5, SimSun for Chinese GB2312, etc.), select the appropriate character set (as mentioned previously), then set UTF-8 to "Display only". The only time you ever need to change the system locale (either globally or using AppLocale) is if you are running Windows 9x/ME - for NT/2000/XP, you just need to install support for the language once (to get the fonts and the codepage conversion tables) and you're good to go.
Posted By: Rounin Re: Support for eastern langauges - 30/05/06 11:45 PM
Why, thank you, Quietust! This is a merciful court.
© mIRC Discussion Forums