Quote:
There are German scripting websites out there, I think irc-befehle.de and mircscripte.de are examples of such. Perhaps they will be of use?

I often try to point those people who ask me for something to some location where they can look up their stuff themselves. But often, they come back with the same question again because they aren't able to find sufficient information.

Quote:
For a fluently speaking German to translate the entire help file would take months, perhaps even a year if keeping your sanity intact is important to you! Then it would have to keep being updated with the new features, the changes etc.

But you did already hear about utilities like CVS or RCS which make it easy to maintain text-based documents with even hundreds of people, didn't you? ;-)
So your idea to let people do this voluntarily would do the trick, I think. And I don't think it would be a problem to find people who'd do this job good enough. It's primarily a time-consuming job, but no difficult thing to do.

Quote:
and I don't think Khaled's going to give people pre-release mIRC information.

Well, this might be true. But as soon as a new mIRC version reaches the point where Khaled starts to update the documentation, would it be such a big problem even if one of the translators leaked some information? I don't really think so...

Quote:
As for popular games/movies etc. they have teams of people working on them, for the big releases you literally have hundreds of people involved in production in some way or another. Khaled is the only person who has the source code and can change it, so the scale is a little different! Nevertheless, as PastMaster pointed out, Khaled will hopefully have a translated mIRC version in the future. Whether this includes the help file, I don't know.

Well, the point wasn't to say "The movie makers are able to translate their stuff, so Khaled should be able to translate mIRC too". I was rather going to say that as an explanation for why you don't need to use English here and why many people are not used to getting along with English things, that's it.