Quote:
As for filesharing being the downfall of IRC, you'll have to explain further why you think that is. The Internet itself has a structure that facilitates filesharing, and it's quite natural that the overlaying protocols come to do the same thing.

You are incorrect sir, and I will explain why.

The internet was created to facilitate the exchange of text communications decades ago, and even today, its most underlying protocols only utilize 7 bit data exchange. This can be seen as files have to be wrapped into 7 bit containers before they can be posted over email or news, or sent along with 7 bit header information explaining what to do with the 8 bit chunks about to be transfered.

IRC was created as a medium for the exchange of thought and ideas, not of files. Just as radio and television broadcast were initially created to exchange the same, they have now become portals of entertainment and fragmented thoughts and short attention spans. You might say that media was the downfall of television and radio, and as such, media will be the downfall of IRC.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!