Quote:

why aren't we removing the support for DCC altogether?

Well it's not down to mIRC to remove the entire DCC protocol altogether as I'm sure you know, and actual DCC is very useful - I use it all the time to get script files, pictures (especially in 'holiday' times such as Christmas/New years etc.) and an assortment of other legitimate files. Personally, I'd be happy to see the FServe feature go tommorow but I also know many people use that legitimately too and it would be unfair on them.

Quote:

I don't see how DCC 2 would alter that substantially.

I haven't read into it substantially, but the main thing that sticks out in the DCC2 protocol is that you can send multiple files at the same time. Now, mIRC already has a feature where you can send multiple DCC send requests at the same time - however, they are separate. If this DCC2 thing had the ability to send 10 or so files in ONE DCC send, this would be a vast improvement for illegal file traders.

True to say that the current DCC protocol still seems to provide all their needs, but it cannot be denied that the current DCC is not the best for file serving, it's not as stable or smooth-running as other programs such as 'Kazaa' or 'iMesh'. It does however provide a good way for people to get pictures, the odd music file from a friend etc. - this is what I believe DCC was designed for. There is no need to improve upon it as it does this successfully (At least in my own experience). If it's not broke, don't fix it as they say.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris