As far as I'm aware (other than the offensive wording of that one post), none of your posts have been removed. You are indeed able to express your opinion however you see fit, within reason. Unfortunately, how you choose to express it affects how others will react to you...be it just getting annoyed, ignoring any posts you write, actively flaming you or simply deciding not to come to your assistance. All of those reactions are certainly valid and are the inalienable right of their holder.

As it happens, you and I agree on some things. I, too, hate that second editbox. I write a lot of code in my editbox; consequently, that second editbox takes up a lot of valuable real estate I would much rather have available for coding. However, I also realize that there are some folks out there who do not code in their editboxes at all (which is hard to believe, I know, but true). For them, the second editbox has lots of uses they use all the time to great effect. I see no need to insult them, even vicariously, just because I don't like a particular feature. I despise that Line Marker (Ctrl-L) thingy too because it just doesn't fit in with the way that I choose to IRC. I'm not at all thrilled with flashing and beeping, either; I find both annoying in the extreme.

I also fully agree that mIRC's help file is quite good, though there are a few areas that are rather cryptic, even for those of us who are quite experienced in their subject areas. However, not all help files are good or easy to understand. I've read help files and tutorials on RegExp for many years and never really found one that I could grasp. For someone who already understands RegExp, I suppose they are very complete and quite understandable; for someone trying to "get" even what RegExp is for, however, they were horrid. Most of them presupposed prior knowledge I didn't have. Some of them were strictly application based (like Perl or PHP) such that the concepts were so intertwined with the langauge that separating out what they were doing was difficult, at best. I have yet to see a straight-forward "help file" on a great many subjects. For example: C, C++, UNIX, Linux, Windows API, etc. These subjects are inherently complex, so help files on them must make certain assumptions about prerequisite knowledge of the reader, which they may or may not possess.

My posts in this thread were not meant to flame you, necessarily. They were more meant to explain to you that some of your posts have generated a goodly bit of antagonism towards you and why that is so. I don't have a problem with you but rather with the attitude (intentional or otherwise) that I see in a few of your posts. As I pointed out in the few examples I produced, they can be taken as "I'm so much better than you, I'm amazed I bother to talk with you" sort of attitude, though I don't really suppose that is what you had in mind. Step back from the knowledge that you wrote those lines and read them "as someone else", if you can. I think you'll see what I mean.

Just as it is your perogative to voice your opinion, it is my perogative to help or not to help who I will, for whatever reason. Some posts don't interest me enough to answer them; others I know nothing about or not enough to make a coherent, helpful answer; still others I refuse to help for whatever reason. That is my perogative and you may not gainsay it. As it turns out, I have no idea whether or not I could answer your question. I haven't read it, nor do I intend to. If someone else wants to help you, that's fine with me.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C