And then what if someone mentioned that guys nick? The ignore feature would have to be expanded to automatically filter out all lines that contain the nick. And suddenly you're listening in on half a conversation. And the same with other bad words you define, mIRC would have to filter those out too. The chatwindow would become a mess, with you only getting half the text spoken. You would no longer be able to actually chat, because it's flatout stupid to try to interact with other people when you only see half the text spoken. Kinda defeats the entire purpose.

PS: this was not the original subject of the thread, agreed.

PPS: the proposal of using /ignore as some kind of bad word filter sucks. This for the following reasons:
* The average child will be a lot better with computers than the average parent (remember - WE may know what we are doing, 99% of the mIRC users does not)
* What about different languages? Some bad words in one language are perfectly normal words in another.
* What about words with a double meaning? Suppose you filter out a word like 'dick'. What of the child who wants to talk to his friend called Dick? What about the word bitch, if a child is having an online discussion about a female dog?
* I also feel it is not mIRC's task to "protect" children against the big bad world. I think in cases like this, some official parties are becoming way too overprotective.

The only solution is: if you don't want your kids exposed to bad words, then keep them locked in their room. Besides, they'll pick up moree bad stuff in schools than on IRC. You may be able to control your what your kids do at home, but you cannot control who they talk to outside your house, and you cannot control what the kids they talk to do at their homes.

When you allow kids on a medium such as mIRC, you must expect hem to be exposed to some bad stuff.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius