I am here to add more information on this memory leak. Build one damn near industry standard computer and install Windows XP SP1. Install a clean version of mIRC. Then load a couple very large popup files that run from the *remote* section. I used 3 mrc files that were about 20k each. I used nicklist popups to produce this memory leak, but it seems that menu-bar popups will also do the same. Once you have the pop-ups installed and running from the remote directory, right click back and forth from the channel window to the nicklist while watching the memory usage through the Windows XP Task Manager. In my case the memory usage was jumping about 100k for every click on the nick list. It may take a while for this error to occur but it will happen within about 40 clicks.

My system:
Abit KX-7R motherboard with an AthlonXP 1900++
512MB RAM
Geforce TI 4200 w/ detonator 41.09 drivers
Soundblaster Audigy (newest drivers)
Generic Ethernet Card (windows WHQL drivers)
Windows XP SP1, no prior updates

The memory leak eventually reaches a point where windows GUI interface no longer allows new windows to be created. Certain windows that have been cached don't seem to be effected (example: If the task manager was running and minimized prior to the GUI lockup, it will still restore, in the same light, the root of the start menu will open *occasionaly*)

The only current workaround that I have been able to come up with is to run most, if not all, of the pop-ups from the actuall pop-up section as opposed to the remote section. I imagine that if only a small amount of the popups were run from the remotes section the leak would be so small it could easily go by undetected.

I also noticed that the amount of memory used by mIRC fluctates greatly when minimized and restored. I imagine this is some sort of feature in Windows or mIRC. I have not determined whether minimizing and restoring clears the memory previously leaked or not. If it works that way the leak would be even harder to detect considering most people minimize programs all the time.

If you made it this far in my enormous post I thank you. Enjoy your day and I hope this sheds more light on how this error was reproduced. IcE^MaN