Reading this thread raised some questions for me. I can guess the answers to most of my own questions, but I would like to see them verified.

First, it's mentioned that mIRC script on default runs as a single thread. Does this also imply that if you run a mIRC bot on a Quadcore, it only uses at most a quarter of the processor's raw processing power?

Second, if you use external .dll files like mthreads.dll to create additional threads, would these threads also run on the same part of the processor, or would they be able to trigger other parts of the processor, causing a gain in speed on Dual- and Quadcores?

Third, does anyone have any experience with mthreads.dll? The documentation is very limited, though the accompanying mIRC code is clear enough. What about version compatibility?

Fourth, if you run separate threads, you of course have to make sure that you're not working with the same variables, since that would screw up your own data results. But what about addressing the same hash table. If I'm using a "$hget(MyTable, ValueA)" in one thread, and a "hadd MyTable ValueB 100" in a parallel thread, does a chance exist that while the $hget of the first thread is executing, the hadd of the second thread is being triggered?

Perhaps the chance of that would be kind of small, but possibly a more practical example: I'm running a bot that stores quite a bit of data in hash tables. To prevent the data from disappearing due to a power loss, I hsave all the hash tables every 10 minutes. This causes mIRC to "freeze" for a good 3-4 seconds every 10 minutes.

Now, if I would use mthreads.dll for saving the data, I shouldn't notice the "freeze" effect, correct? But could there be a problem if another script would be writing data to one of those hash files during that time? I wouldn't mind if that single entry wouldn't be stored (after all, it wouldn't be stored during serial processing), but could it corrupt the data being saved to the harddisk?

Learning something new every day.