Originally Posted By: Biggles
I would like to add my support for this suggestion. Ever since Firefox recently added a spellchecker, I have gotten used to it, and it's annoying that mIRC doesn't have one - the absence is noticed.

I've tried to make a DLL based on Aspell, this is no easy task which is why nobody has done it. It's one thing to get the spell checking right, it's another thing to have it underlined with a squiggly red line in the editbox. And then there is the issue of adding a context menu for suggested spelling corrections.

Spell checking is a natural feature for a text centric program. I would encourage khaled, if he is interested (or anyone who is capable of making a DLL), to take a look at Aspell, it's an open source library.

Very well put. I add my support too. I can't think of a single good* reason against implementing this if there is an option to turn it off.

It wouldn't slow things down & just saying that people should learn to type is like saying that people shouldn't wear seat belts because they shouldn't crash. You could even argue it should be there for an accessibility standpoint - how about helping dyslexic people for example?

fwiw I'm considering switching to pidgin because I've found the spell check so useful.

* This dosen't include any of the (anti) reasons I've read in existing threads.

Last edited by Spiny; 05/08/09 09:48 AM.

Cheers smile
Spiny