I'm not sure where you learned your logic, but the statement "0/0=1 is more meaningful than 0/0=0" cannot be proven by example. In any case, my last example specifically contradicts your conjecture that the value 1 is more meaningful than 0 which explicitly disproves your conclusion. You can never send '1 bytes per second' when %bytes = 0. That is a clearly invalid result, hands down. Perhaps you should re-read my post in its entirety rather than selectively choosing one of the three examples, and come to the proper conclusion.

As I said in my previous post, you could make the reasonable argument that the first example can be 100%. However, to claim that 0% is "wrong" is in itself wrong. Technically speaking, you have not sent any of the file. No packets belonging to the file have left your machine-- because there were none to send. You have therefore NOT sent 100% of the file because you have not sent ANY of the file-- it is theoretically impossible to make the claim that you sent something you did not send. In this case, 100% is equally meaningless to 0%, and that was my point. Neither of them are wrong, however. The only strictly *wrong* value in my examples comes from the "1 bytes per second" result of using 0/0 = 1, which you've completely ignored, by the way.

If you were smart you would realize that the conclusion is actually: "0 / 0 = 1 works in one specific case only: a subset of quantities represented as percentages". In every other scenario, it fails miserably. 0/0 meters per inch, 0/0 bytes per second, 0/0 pounds per dollar, etc. None of these values could be 1.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"