Quote:
On a side note, you shouldn't include unrelated reasoning/requests in your feature suggestions/posts. Clearly, it causes unnecessary arguments that could have made a perfectly valid suggestion be dismissed as useless, etc.

Very true, and I have learned from that.

-- @Riamus2 --

I get your point - 100%. There are almost always both pro's and con's in everything.

I do get your point with providing support - You're very correct when you say it would cause confusion.

However, I'm very sure there could be found a workaround for this, instead of just listing all the bad things it could cause. With Khaled and his great knowledge in stuff like this, I do believe it would be possible.

Now, I'm going to jump into something else here, before continueing: Today, I was thinking. Sure, we got the $+ to attach stuff. Say, could a $- not be useful? Think about it. A $- could maybe provide what's needed.

Now, let's get back. Just wanted to write the above, before I forget it again.. Got lots of stuff to think about, recently.

As I said, I do understand you. However, at one point, I might think you're wrong: "In mIRC, scripts are not standalone. They require mIRC and many people use scripts from multiple sources."

Yes, this is understandable. But then again, did you ever notice this in the help file?: "The best script is your own script!"

In the first place, I don't actually think mIRC script was meant to be used as people do it today - develop scripts and distribute them like they were applications.

So, from looking at what Khaled himself has said, you're meant to use your own script - meaning, it's people's own fault if they don't understand the scripts they use (which I'm pretty sure he mentioned something similar to/about in the help file, too).

So at this point, you could say we're equal - It just depends on from what perspective you look at it.

*Pain in hands*

Worth continueing the discussion? If yes, I'm waiting for opinions.

-- Edit --

Oh no, missed you, JD. Sorry.

Quote:
and then lets say I have an alias foo* and fooBar is called... how would I find "Bar"?
$1 ? - That would break all existing scripts
or perhaps $extension ? lol

Of course! If we changed it to $1, we'd doom the mIRC scripting world right away.

I'm thinking about something like, $ext, yes. Then you could probably do, $ext(1) to return first letter, or $ext(3-) to return letters from 3 to last letter, and $ext(-3) to return first 3 letters.. Something in that direction.

Last edited by XTZGZoReX; 12/02/08 12:07 AM.

GamerzWoW
The Official GamerzPlanet WoW Server