OK, general response time. There's no point saying this definitely isn't a mIRC bug. It's simply impossible to know that with the information at our disposal. The fact that it works on some systems but not others isn't proof of anything. The fact that it works in Media Player and not mIRC suggests that there is a very real problem and sticking our fingers in our ears without even going through any proper checks to try and reproduce the issue or confirm the true source of the problem isn't going to get us anywhere. The fact that mIRC passes the audio playing onto WMP doesn't eliminate the chance of a problem with mIRC completely.

What would be useful is a public link to an MP3 file (non-copyrighted!) that causes the issue. Preferably several files with/without ID3 tags and if possible encoded by different programs (to eliminate these as potential causes). Then, if people who cannot get it to play correctly (but who have no problems with other MP3s) could provide the following information:

• OS version
  • mIRC version
  • Value returned by //echo -a mirc.exe digest: $md5($mircexe, 2)
  • Value returned by //echo -a Splay alias: $isalias(splay)
  • Values returned by:
    Code:
    var %i = 1
    while %i <= $dll(0) {
      echo -a DLL $+(No.,%i,:) $dll(%i)
      inc %i
    }
    echo -a Total DLLs: %i
  • Any specific codec packs installed (if known)
  • Confirmation of whether renaming the file extension from ".mp3" to ".wma" really does make it play correctly.
  • Version(s) of Windows Media Player installed
  • Confirmation the file(s) play in Windows Media Player

If we got all that it might actually be possible to get a real idea of what's happening here. There have been various bug reports along these lines for years now, it's about time it got a serious look to see if mIRC has either a) a bug or b) could simply fix the issue by using a different method of having WMP play the files. Even if mIRC is doing everything right, at least then we might have a chance of finding what the real culprit is and perhaps even how to fix it.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.