What if their was an alias with the same name as a mistyped operator, or a mistyped alias call was a valid operator, in these circumstances (more common than you might think) mirc would no longer throw the appropriate error to bring attention to the issue, it would instead 'handle' it and possibly perform a task incorrectly without any warning or knowledge to the coder.

My point was, although the code would SEEM to function correctly at a glance, it could easily perform the wrong tasks based on any number of circumstance (in my example a mistype). In such cases where mIRC would normally throw an error and allow somebody to find and fix the error quickly, it no longer would.

All in all i guess i dont think script debugging should be made harder, for the sake of accomodating lazy or sloppy code.

The only language i can think of that does anything similar to this is SQL, and im guessing the only way it gets away with it is because it knows all the possible commands that can follow. Unlike sql mirc can have commands named the same as the operators.

Maybe i am completely misunderstanding or overlooking something, because i cant see why this would be an advantage in the single-line type examples you gave. Multiple line code may have better results, as mirc could use the linebreak to determine the end of the condition and the start of the command (similar to the way it treats pipes in single line code). Although im certainly not in favour of encouraging braceless code, i think its a bonus that mirc allows it on any level at all.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby