Quote:
I don't see how handling this error would change error messages for those people that already use ()...

I'm not talking about people who use (), I'm talking about people who use no formatting at all, as in your "bug" case. It makes sense that at a certain point mIRC shouldn't try and guess what the scripter meant and instead should raise an error saying "I don't know what you want me to do here". I'm sure it could guess in the way you're suggesting, and in some instances that would produce the intended result, but why resort to guessing when raising an error allows the scripter to fix the code.

Quote:
Edit: I also can not see how this would reducing the speed of the parser when using () or {}, since this condition is only evaluated when missing () or {}.

It wouldn't slow down properly written code. Ambiguous code lacking () and {} is slower than code which plus supplies one or both of those. I'm saying that by raising an error and making the scripter fix their dubious code it means the code will be faster. Not in itself a big deal, but just another little incentive for mIRC to enforce proper syntax.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.