hmm
yes, that IS understandable, but...
it should have all been in UTF-8 from the very beginning. There would be no bashing about it today if it were done in UTF-8 nine years ago. However, Khaled must not have thought about it. People didn't care about I18N these days as they do now...
We all know that mIRC is the most popular IRC client on earth nowadays. THAT makes the point. Rounin probably doesn't even use mIRC. And the reason for him to be bashing is quite simple - he cannot use UTF-8 of what his IRC client is capable just because, say, 90% of other users won't understand it. And, say, 90% of those 90% are using mIRC. That is the reason. Currently, for most of the advanced users (those who know difference between mIRC and IRC), mIRC is a curse. It's not really good when one app controls too much of the market. We have that with MSIE, which interprets the standards in its own way, and now it looks like we have same stuff with mIRC. Why oh why do I have to depend on priorities in Khaled's to-do list? I'm not using mIRC, but i'm strongly tied with limitations of mIRC just because it's that popular! It's unfair! That's why I'm bashing about it. That's why people are bashing about it.